Female Filmmakers

Started by ©brad, January 23, 2003, 11:13:37 AM

©brad

Few and far between, but they do exist. Favorites?

I think Sally Potter is a fantastic filmmaker. If anyone hasn't seen Orlando which came out in 1992 I definetly reccomend it. She is definetly more experimental. One of her first student films, she set up two cameras and filmed this baby crawling on a sidewalk. The film is viewed on two projection screens, and you watch the baby crawl from one side of the screen and reappear on the other screen. It's cool shit.

Jane Campion is a great filmmaker. The Piano is a great film. She's doing a new movie with Meg Ryan, sexual in content of course. The Portrait of a Lady was disappointing though...

Can't wait to see what Mary Harron does next. I don't think she has gotten the recognition or press that she deserves. American Psycho was so well done.

Any others?

Jeremy Blackman

Julie Taymor. Frida was good, but Titus was amazing.

Also... Mary Harron, Kasi Lemmons, Sofia Coppola.

Duck Sauce

You got to be kidding me? Whats next? Women in the military? Women SENATORS!? phhh

(and a  :wink:  for all those who have no kidding-radar)

What is Sofia Coppolas new one about anyway?

Satcho9

Mary Harron (sic?) did a great job with American Psycho

RegularKarate

Quote from: cbrad4d

Can't wait to see what Mary Harron does next. I don't think she has gotten the recognition or press that she deserves. American Psycho was so well done.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

Also... Mary Harron

Quote from: Satcho9Mary Harron (sic?) did a great job with American Psycho

shame on all of you... that movie was slightly humorous at best

Gold Trumpet

agreed with RK.

I have a fondness for Sofia Coppola myself. With the Virgin Suicides, she made a film in which she had a good beginning understanding on how to really approach a subject. I heard that the movie, before, had many men who were going to write and direct it but Sofia came along and focused more on the atmoshpere created by the suicides, instead of what the men were going to do, and that was focus on the act of the suicides itself.

~rougerum

Cecil

american psycho was fucking good. so was i shot andy warhol.

BonBon85

Jill Sprecher directed Clockwatchers and Thirteen Conversations About One Thing. Lynne Ramsay's another that shows promise.

Xixax

Oh, man. Clockwatchers! Yes!

What a great cast, too!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

BonBon85

Yet another random double post...sorry again, I don't know what's going on. Anyone know how to delete 'em?

Xixax

Oh, man. Clockwatchers! Yes!

What a great cast, too!

(I think there's an echo in here)
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: BonBon85Anyone know how to delete 'em?

A little should appear in the upper right corner of your posts.

bonanzataz

Mary Harron's new movie starts shooting this coming summer. It's a slight possibility that I'm getting an internship for it.

That was my brag post. I believe I'm entitled to at least one.

Anyway, Karyn Kusama, director of Girlfight, is pretty good.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ksmc

Nancy Savoca, who directed Dogfight and Household Sains--both of which I love.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

budgie

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: Satcho9Mary Harron (sic?) did a great job with American Psycho

shame on all of you... that movie was slightly humorous at best

Bloody right.

And I saw Eve's Bayou with great eagerness... oh, for fuck's sake... it makes me cringe when women make such bilge.