Female Filmmakers

Started by ©brad, January 23, 2003, 11:13:37 AM

72teeth

i like Mary Harron... I Shot Andy Warhol is great and Notorious Betty Page and American Psycho are pretty decent movies, as well as a lot of the tv she has directed...

And Allison Anders' Mi Vida Loca is defiantly within my top 50...

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

pete

looks like ellen kuras is coming out with a work of love documentary in the next few weeks.
I went to the silent film festival in San Fran yesterday, they preceeded each film with a different short film by this lady named Alice Guy Blanche, the very first female director in this country.  They were all really really awful, and I remember thinking that maybe she ruined it for all the ones to follow.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SoNowThen

Akerman and Varda come to mind first. I think Ms. Coppola has started on a promising career, even if she hasn't done anything amazing yet, her quality and watchability is pretty consistent.

Rohmer frequently works with a female DP and editor, and his films are delightful.

However, it's a male art form, plain and simple. I can't see females in mass numbers ever making great cinema. Kind of like literature.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: SoNowThen on February 15, 2009, 08:02:55 PM
I can't see females in mass numbers ever making great cinema. Kind of like literature.
Thems fighting words but you are possibly correct.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Astrostic

My favorite filmmaker in the current Argentinian wave, and one of my favorites in general, is Lucrecia Martel.  Her recent The Headless Woman is one of the most brilliantly stubborn films of the decade, but still not as great as her slightly more accessible debut, La Cienaga.  If you haven't seen this film, do yourself a large favor.

I agree with those mentioning Akerman, Denis, and Reichardt.

Fernando

Coincidentally the Golden and Silver Bear were won by female filmmakers.

Golden Bear for the Best Film
La teta asustada (The Milk Of Sorrow) by Claudia Llosa

Silver Bear - The Jury Grand Prix
Alle Anderen (Everyone else) by Maren Ade

http://www.berlinale.de/en/das_festival/preise_und_juries/preise_internationale_jury/index.html

children with angels

No one's yet mentioned Sally Potter, Jane Campion, Dorothy Arzner, Catherine Breillat, Kathryn Bigelow.

The reason there aren't more big female directors is so obviously because of the historically limited options available to women in all areas of society that it doesn't even need saying. That there is even a thread trying in vain to list examples of films made by a group that constitutes approximately 50% of the human population should tell us something - and it's not that cinema is "a male art form".
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

matt35mm

Quote from: children with angels on February 17, 2009, 05:26:15 AM
The reason there aren't more big female directors is so obviously because of the historically limited options available to women in all areas of society that it doesn't even need saying. That there is even a thread trying in vain to list examples of films made by a group that constitutes approximately 50% of the human population should tell us something - and it's not that cinema is "a male art form".

Agreed!

SoNowThen

Quote from: children with angels on February 17, 2009, 05:26:15 AMThe reason there aren't more big female directors is so obviously because of the historically limited options available to women in all areas of society that it doesn't even need saying.

Keep telling yourself that if it helps.

I for one think that if the majority of any group is under-represented in an activity it usually has more to do with interests lying in another area, rather than instantly assuming that if only they weren't "limited" by some third party they would be out doing what WE think they should be doing. Certainly there may be exceptions to this, or extreme cases. But in this Western world of ours where personal choice is valued above all, I don't believe this excuse holds water.

I'd watch a film made by a cat if cats were making good films. I'm all for more good films out there. If many, many, many more men (even per capita) continue to produce them (rather than women) I would see it as a continuation of an existing, natural trend. No amount of carping about patriarchal, sexist, misogynistic, or whatever forces are going to produce more women making better films.

It is a legitimate thread in the same way that a thread about Lithuanian filmmakers would be legitimate. There are not many, there will not be many more in the future, but some are rare treasures and so it is nice to share them with fellow cinema lovers. But the lack of say Lithuanian filmmakers does not lead to questions about the rest of the world sharing racist intentions to hold back Lithuanian artists. Obviously you could make the case of population size but I hope my ultimate point is clear enough.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gamblour.

Ummmmmmmmmmm

SoNowThen, you're wrong.

It is because they have been given less opportunities in a male-dominated industry. Are you going to fucking tell me that Julie Taymor can't keep up with the boys?

For as long as women artists have been around, there have been men to say that theirs is an art that is more ladylike, there have been male critics to condescend and 'critique' female art as being too delicate or soft. That you declare it a 'male art-form' should raise a red flag to you that you're embracing a stupid logic. What is a female art-form? Quilting? You're right, there are no major male quilters, so I guess I'm actually wrong and we've been oppressing men this whole time. If only we could let them finally realize their dreams as quilters.

There are plenty of good female filmmakers out there to prove that this is not an art strictly for men. There are so many male filmmakers who suck at it, why would you ever think it was exclusive to them? In the history of everything, literature, painting, sculpture, how can you be so ignorant as to call one art a male or female art?? Are you fucking kidding me?

The incredible amount of restraint I'm using right to not just hit the caps lock key and go ballistic is astounding.
WWPTAD?

pete

but he'd be watching films made by cats!  how can you call him wrong?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Gamblour. on February 17, 2009, 01:51:39 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmm

SoNowThen, you're wrong.

It is because they have been given less opportunities in a male-dominated industry. Are you going to fucking tell me that Julie Taymor can't keep up with the boys?

For as long as women artists have been around, there have been men to say that theirs is an art that is more ladylike, there have been male critics to condescend and 'critique' female art as being too delicate or soft. That you declare it a 'male art-form' should raise a red flag to you that you're embracing a stupid logic. What is a female art-form? Quilting? You're right, there are no major male quilters, so I guess I'm actually wrong and we've been oppressing men this whole time. If only we could let them finally realize their dreams as quilters.

There are plenty of good female filmmakers out there to prove that this is not an art strictly for men. There are so many male filmmakers who suck at it, why would you ever think it was exclusive to them? In the history of everything, literature, painting, sculpture, how can you be so ignorant as to call one art a male or female art?? Are you fucking kidding me?

The incredible amount of restraint I'm using right to not just hit the caps lock key and go ballistic is astounding.

Not sure where I said that there are no shitty male filmmakers, nor where I said that no woman can make a good film.

I do think it is an art form that favors males, in that it is inherently visual, as well as requiring a kind of "marshalling of troops" type attitude, which men seem to be more geared to (generally, of course). I also think that there are many roadblocks towards making a film, and that one has to choose to forgo many other things in life to create cinema, and that most are not willing to make those trade-offs, but that more males than females will take that chance. This view is perhaps limited by my own life experience, but it is an earnest and honest view that I arrive at with some consideration.

Yes, I will tell you that Taymor cannot play with the big boys. She is a minor filmmaker.

Since very few men seem to lean towards quilting as a hobby, it would seem that it is a female-dominated form of expression. I didn't say that would be an example of oppression. You suggest that.

Surely you can use that righteous indignation towards some creative and/or positive end? Again, it is unusual that you (a male, I presume) would choose to fight this "battle" on behalf of other people. Would you like to suggest that by holding this opinion I am responsible for holding back the next generation of female filmmakers? Have you ever tried to make a film or apply for a government grant, or solicit private funding in the last few years? Do you know what the process of filmmaking entails? Are you weighing these factors into your opinion? Do you think that there is any particular reason why a person (or cat) might be drawn towards cinema as a form of expression over other possible avenues? Sorry, I guess this is a thread highjack...

modage

me and godardian talked about this a few years ago in some other thread.   i wonder where that is...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Anyone who fails to see differences between sexes is an idiot. But that is not the point I want to make because you cannot avoid being called a bigot today if you point out obvious facts about typical traits of men/women.

That you can name a handful of talented female directors should prove that filmmaking is not typically a male thing ? How does that work ? I can say that about 20 days a year it's pretty warm and sunny in Quebec, so I guess it's false to say that it's fucking cold here.

The argument about ''not being given equal chance'' would hold up in the 50s, but women in their 20somethings have never once in their life faced a lack-of-opportunity type of situation. I cannot even imagine a woman applying for a film loan and being laughed off or something like that. Shit, a black man is president, who can honestly say that people with talent are not given a fair chance.

I completely agree with SoNow and don't even see any sexism in his post, he's stating facts as far as I'm concerned. He's not saying ''No women allowed'', it's more something like : ''More men do it so I guess there's a male thing about it''