Female Filmmakers

Started by ©brad, January 23, 2003, 11:13:37 AM

bonanzataz

i was sitting down on the couch today in silence, and I start singing to myself - "She was born, to love that boy, I guess that she was born, to love that boy!!" I realize that was from Grace of My Heart which was an excellent movie directed by Allison Anders. I haven't heard from her since. iMDB says she did some eps of Sex and the City and this movie called Things Behind the Sun which I've never heard of. Apparently Don Cheadle, Eric Stoltz, Elizabeth Pena and Rosanna Arquette were in it. Was it any good? Has anybody here even seen Grace of My Heart?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

taz, you still gonna work on this? More info for ya.

Camilla Belle Starring in Rose and the Snake

Camilla Belle (The Lost World: Jurassic Park, The Patriot) is in negotiations to star opposite Daniel Day-Lewis in the title role of IFC Films' Rose and the Snake for writer-director Rebecca Miller. Paul Dano (The Emperor's Club) also will star in the film, with Beau Bridges making an appearance in a small but pivotal role. The Hollywood Reporter says that production begins in the summer with Catherine Keener also starring.

The project sees Day-Lewis star as a dying, widowed father of a 16-year-old girl named Rose (Belle). They live on an abandoned commune, where Rose has been sheltered from the world. When the father's new love, a single mom named Kathleen (Keener), and her two teenage boys, come to live with them, Rose undergoes a sexual awakening with both liberating and devastating consequences.

Dano plays the sexually charged Thadius, the elder of the two boys, who immediately sets his sights on Rose. Bridges plays Marty Rance, a real estate developer interested in buying the commune from the father.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

damn, sounds exciting. i'm meeting with the producer on thursday to find out what the hell i'll be doing. thanks mac.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

aclockworkjj

#1 Way to ensure you won't be getting any after taking your liady out to dinner and a movie.....

Take her to see a Jane Campian film.....you'll be on the couch fo sho!!

Pwaybloe

Heh heh.  Really?  She does seem to put an obligatory & frank sex scene in all her movies I've seen.  Does it bother your lady-friend?

I keep on thinking of "Holy Smoke" when Harvey Keitel is pounding on Kate Winslet and she yells, "Don't cum!"

bonanzataz

Derek

Kathryn Bigelow. Point Break was Bad ASS.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Raikus

Quote from: budgieHaven't see Titus... is it visually strong?

Titus is about as eye candy as they come. That movie is just amazing.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieI remember Guffy joking (maybe, who knows with him?) that it should have been the Diego Rivera story... quite.

For that particular review of that movie, that was no joke. I still believe that.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: budgieI saw Frida and thought it was a bad screenplay saved by Taymor's direction. A strong visual sense at last . . . Haven't see Titus... is it visually strong?

Titus is one of my favorite movies, and I have almost no affection for Frida. What I was looking for in Frida were the wild abstract things that were just kind of sprinkled, and I agree should have dominated. I thought the movie was good enough, but not anything like Titus. That movie is three hours of visual greatness, which makes it more than that, and I think you'll like it. Think Romeo + Juliet, but better.

edit: AHHHHHH!  I'M SORRY BUDGIE, I DELETED YOUR POST! how did that happen? ahhhhhhhh

rustinglass

Teresa Villaverde is one of the best women directors. Did anyone here ever see her films?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Alethia

jill sprecher and julie taymor.  undoubtedly.  kimberly peirce shows alot of promise...........

budgie

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
edit: AHHHHHH!  I'M SORRY BUDGIE, I DELETED YOUR POST! how did that happen? ahhhhhhhh

C'est la vie. It's all in my mind. Butter fingers.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: budgieI remember Guffy joking (maybe, who knows with him?) that it should have been the Diego Rivera story... quite.

For that particular review of that movie, that was no joke. I still believe that.

Will you honor me with your take?

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieWill you honor me with your take?

Anything for you.

Starting with Salma, I never really saw her get into character. The role demanded more than just adding more hair across her brow. (How was that nominated for Best Make-Up in the first place, let alone win?) And, like I stated, I felt I learned more about Diego at the end of the film, than Frida. The script was weak, never really giving Frida stand out scenes to help Salma with the problem I started this review with. It felt like a string of scenes showing what Diego has done and assume you should react like Frida would instead of letting us see how she did. So when she does finally talk back to him, I felt no empathy because I felt I never really knew her emotional pain, only the physical. I did like the fantasies in the paintings imagery to relate her feelings, but we never see her paint; a great opportunity she show what I felt was missing (done perfectly in "Life Lessons," Scorsese's segment in "New York Stories").

Skeleton FilmWorks