Female Filmmakers

Started by ©brad, January 23, 2003, 11:13:37 AM

Rudie Obias

i really like sofia coppola and jamie babbit.

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Tommy Both

Lynne Ramsay

Did anyone see Ratcatcher?

supposed to be pretty good..

soixante

How about Kimberly Peirce, who directed Boys Don't Cry, featuring great performances by Hilary Swank and Chloe Sevigny.  And Alison Maclean, who directed Jesus' Son, featuring great work by Billy Crudup and Samantha Morton.  Virgin Suicides by Sofia Coppola was cool, too.  Jane Campion always makes good films.  There needs to be more opportunities for women to direct features -- after all, three major studios are run by women.
Music is your best entertainment value.

©brad

I would like to say "just give it some time" for women's directors but I'm not so sure what's going to happen. Many female directors usually start out in comedies (Amy Heckerling, Penelope Spheeris).

MacGuffin

Daniel Day-Lewis in Wife's "Rose and the Snake"

Oscar-nominated for Gangs of New York, Daniel Day-Lewis will next star in "Rose and the Snake." Variety reports the film was co-written and will be directed by "Personal Velocity" helmer Rebecca Miller at IFC Films. Production begins this summer.

Day-Lewis will portray the father of a 16-year-old daughter, Rose. They live on an abandoned commune on an island off the northwest coast of Canada, where he has tried to shield her from the modern world. However, when he brings a lover and her two sons to live with them, Rose undergoes a sexual awakening with liberating and devastating consequences.

Day-Lewis is married to Miller. "Rose" will be the couple's first collaboration on a film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

that actually sounds pretty interesting.

moonshiner

Jesus' Son was a very good movie...very indie, Jack Black stole every scene he was in...Dennis Hopper cameo, what more could you want.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

phil marlowe

Nice to see Day-Lewis back in the movies.

©brad

Not so sure how long he will hang around though. he has said in many interviews that he really hates the process of making movies. He doesn't enjoy it, hence his 5 year hiatus before Gangs. He did Gangs just to work with Scorsese again, but even then, he doesn't get much from making movies- so he says. Maybe he's only doing this one b/c of his wife?

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffinDaniel Day-Lewis in Wife's "Rose and the Snake"

Oscar-nominated for Gangs of New York, Daniel Day-Lewis will next star in "Rose and the Snake." Variety reports the film was co-written and will be directed by "Personal Velocity" helmer Rebecca Miller at IFC Films. Production begins this summer.

Day-Lewis will portray the father of a 16-year-old daughter, Rose. They live on an abandoned commune on an island off the northwest coast of Canada, where he has tried to shield her from the modern world. However, when he brings a lover and her two sons to live with them, Rose undergoes a sexual awakening with liberating and devastating consequences.

Day-Lewis is married to Miller. "Rose" will be the couple's first collaboration on a film.

HOLY SHIT! This is the movie I'm working on over the summer! This is the first thing I've heard about it, other than it stars Day-Lewis.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazHOLY SHIT! This is the movie I'm working on over the summer! This is the first thing I've heard about it, other than it stars Day-Lewis.

More info for you, bon:

Keener in Day-Lewis' Rose and the Snake

Catherine Keener will star opposite Daniel Day-Lewis in IFC Films' Rose and the Snake for writer-director Rebecca Miller.

The film sees Day-Lewis star as a dying, widowed father to a 16-year-old girl named Rose. They live on an abandoned commune, where Rose has been largely sheltered from the world. When the father's new love, a single mom named Kathleen (Keener), and her two teenage boys come to live with them, Rose undergoes a sexual awakening with both liberating and devastating consequences.

The Hollywood Reporter says production begins in the summer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

A lot of these female directors get to work so infrequently. Kimberly Pierce has yet to follow up Boys Don't Cry, although she's been attached to several projects. Same with Karyn Kusama. Nicole Holofcener FINALLY came out with something new this past summer (Lovely And Amazing). Same with Lisa Chodelenko (High Art).

But there are also girls like Nancy Meyers, or what's her name who directed Crossroads, who work in Hollywood and come out with stuff pretty frequently.

jmj

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanJulie Taymor. Frida was good, but Titus was amazing.

Fucking A, Bro.  Titus was incredible...great DVD too.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboySame with Lisa Chodelenko (High Art).

High Art was a great movie. Wish that was on DVD. Patricia Clarkson, Ally Sheedy and Radha Mitchell were all superb.

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Quote from: Ghostboywhat's her name who directed Crossroads

Tamra Davis. She's married to Mike D of the Beastie Boys.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls