Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies?

Started by modage, June 14, 2003, 10:07:53 PM

cowboykurtis

Quote from: themodernage02
i agree with your misconception but i think Alien is still both

This doesn't make sense.

this is a contradiction within a hypocritical sentence.
...your excuses are your own...

Myxo

Quote from: cowboykurtisAlien is a horror film - a monster movie in space.

Their is a misconception that any film which takes place in the future and/or in space is a sci-fi film.

It's like calling TIMELINE a historical fiction.
i agree with your misconception but i think Alien is still both.  what about the cryosleep? or the android?  thats sci-fi.

Or how about the fact that they are on a space vehicle and intercept an S.O.S. signal coming from another planet? Smells like Sci-Fi to me. How about Men in Black then? Is that Sci-Fi?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: cowboykurtis
i agree with your misconception but i think Alien is still both

This doesn't make sense.

this is a contradiction within a hypocritical sentence.

Couldn't Alien be a sci-fi/horror since it deals with aliens that have a look that we created for them to make them scary?

It is two genres, in my opinion.  It approaches something we don't know about, and assumes its properties.  A fictitious look at science.  Sci-fi, check. It's also scary.  Horror, check.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

I disagree with the statement "Science plus fiction = Science Fiction", but I think that Alien is a Sci-Fi horror movie.
it's mostly horror, but the technology is focused on a lot.  There are the shots of the monitors and everything.

Star Wars, on the other hand is certainly NOT sci-fi... it's fantasy all the way.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: cowboykurtisAlien is a horror film - a monster movie in space.

Their is a misconception that any film which takes place in the future and/or in space is a sci-fi film.

It's like calling TIMELINE a historical fiction.
i agree with your misconception but i think Alien is still both.  what about the cryosleep? or the android?  thats sci-fi.

Or how about the fact that they are on a space vehicle and intercept an S.O.S. signal coming from another planet? Smells like Sci-Fi to me.

Or how 'bout, I dunno, the alien itself?

Quote from: themodernage021. the empire strikes back
2. aliens
3. 2001: a space odyssey
4. total recall
5. minority report
6. robocop
7. t2: judgement day
8. the road warrior
9. ai: artificial intelligence
10. the matrix

Sorry, mod, but all of these are now classified Action movies, not Sci-Fi.

Quote from: Holden Pike1. BladeRunner[/b][/color][/size] (1982 - Ridley Scott)

Film noir.

Quote from: phil marlowe1.) brazil

Comedy.

Quote from: ebeaman-alphaville

Foreign.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

i think their are elements of sci - film - the crio-freeze, the robot, etc.

However, the alien is the one part that does not fit into a sci-fi classification.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: themodernage02[

Or how about the fact that they are on a space vehicle and intercept an S.O.S. signal coming from another planet? Smells like Sci-Fi to me.

Or how 'bout, I dunno, the alien itself?

Quote from: themodernage021. the empire strikes back
2. aliens
3. 2001: a space odyssey
4. total recall
5. minority report
6. robocop
7. t2: judgement day
8. the road warrior
9. ai: artificial intelligence
10. the matrix

Sorry, mod, but all of these are now classified Action movies, not Sci-Fi.

Those actually are all sci-fi excluding star wars and alien.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtisThose actually are all sci-fi excluding star wars and alien.

How is Road Warrior more Sci-Fi than Alien or Star Wars?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: cowboykurtisThose actually are all sci-fi excluding star wars and alien.

How is Road Warrior more Sci-Fi than Alien or Star Wars?

I overlooked roadwarrior - you're right.

cowboykurtis

My opinion of sci-fi as a genre is as follows:

Sci-fi is a literary or cinematic genre concerned with speculative scientific discoveries, developments, and/or environmental changes which inform the literary fantasy involving the imagined impact of science on society.

With that said, you look at a films like minority report or AI or 2001, which are truly sci-fi, they use speculative scientific developments to employ a surrounding plot. In each of the said films, the central foundation of the film is concerned with the given scientific development and it's effect on humans and their moral/intellectual/emotional responses.

The alien franchise uses space exploration to insert a cool looking monster where humans can be slaughtered and/or shoot the monster with big guns. There is really nothing adressed as to the social and/or existential effect this has on society/humanity.

GoneSavage

Ghostboy

Quote from: cowboykurtisMy opinion of sci-fi as a genre is as follows:

Sci-fi is a literary or cinematic genre concerned with speculative scientific discoveries, developments, and/or environmental changes which inform the literary fantasy involving the imagined impact of science on society.

With that said, you look at a films like minority report or AI or 2001, which are truly sci-fi, they use speculative scientific developments to employ a surrounding plot. In each of the said films, the central foundation of the film is concerned with the given scientific development and it's effect on humans and their moral/intellectual/emotional responses.

The alien franchise uses space exploration to insert a cool looking monster where humans can be slaughtered and/or shoot the monster with big guns. There is really nothing adressed as to the social and/or existential effect this has on society/humanity.

Very well said.

picolas

Quote from: cowboykurtisThere is really nothing adressed as to the social and/or existential effect this has on society/humanity.
i'd say it says people don't change even if they're in space.

MacGuffin

Quote from: picolas
Quote from: cowboykurtisThere is really nothing adressed as to the social and/or existential effect this has on society/humanity.
i'd say it says people don't change even if they're in space.

I'd say the effect is that the alien was to be captured for The Company to be used as a bio-weapon against humanity.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Quote from: RegularKarateI disagree with the statement "Science plus fiction = Science Fiction", but I think that Alien is a Sci-Fi horror movie.
it's mostly horror, but the technology is focused on a lot.  There are the shots of the monitors and everything.

Star Wars, on the other hand is certainly NOT sci-fi... it's fantasy all the way.

I agree with this post. But I find it humorous that "shots of the monitors" makes it sci-fi, haha.

The thread between sci-fi and fantasy is much easier to define. Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are all about mythic groups of people with fantastic worlds and creatures. In other words, make believe. However, reading IMDb's list of "Fantasy" movies, they classify pictures like The Seventh Seal and Being John Malkovich as such. I would only say elements of these pictures were fantasy, obviously.

I think my points is that genres are so broad that most anything could be any genre. And that means they don't really matter. Also, they're not very narrow (except for maybe westerns and film noirs and musicals), so of course Alien is sci-fi. But then again, so is Donnie Darko?
WWPTAD?