Endings

Started by Sleuth, June 12, 2003, 01:11:23 PM

Reed Rothchild

You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

budgie

Quote from: godardian
DECISIVELY and INDELIBLY, a la Your Friends and Neighbors or Safe. A good sharp cut to black is almost always better than a fade to black, in my opinion.

There are a million other emotions in that nebulous area between happy and sad that could potentially be evoked in this manner.

But a sharp cut is wrong where you need to slide out, isn't it?

Has anyone managed to see Roberto Succo yet? The most perfectly timed end shot ever.

As for sad as cliche, it's nothing new really, it's just that art film's become more visible. And as long as those endings still get you, who minds? Happy or not, it's the culmination that's important.

godardian

Quote from: budgie
Quote from: godardian
DECISIVELY and INDELIBLY, a la Your Friends and Neighbors or Safe. A good sharp cut to black is almost always better than a fade to black, in my opinion.

There are a million other emotions in that nebulous area between happy and sad that could potentially be evoked in this manner.

But a sharp cut is wrong where you need to slide out, isn't it?

Has anyone managed to see Roberto Succo yet? The most perfectly timed end shot ever.

As for sad as cliche, it's nothing new really, it's just that art film's become more visible. And as long as those endings still get you, who minds? Happy or not, it's the culmination that's important.

Oops, I thought I had qualified my comments with "sometimes a fade is exactly right," or something...

::rummaging back through posts to make sure I wrote what I intended::
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

which type of ending do you guyz like better????

the films that end concrete---------such as heat/goodfellas/caddyshack

the films that end abstract----------"lynch's lost highway & mulholland drive"

the films that end w/ a  :?:----------lock stocked and 2........../narc/cast away

i enjoy the later follwed by abstract then lastly concrete
how's about you!

Cecil

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwhich type of ending do you guyz like better????

its hard to say. whatevers best for the film, i suppose....

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: NEON MERCURYwhich type of ending do you guyz like better????

its hard to say. whatevers best for the film, i suppose....

:?  yeah after posting i realized this......i don't know its just ...ahem... for example the end of American Beauty is perfect imo and CONCRETE i would not have worked any other way...but onthe other hand i like how  cast away ends "YOU" get to decide the fate of the character which is cool and for me it tends to be cool when a movie ends whithout anything concrete-you know it shows the last scene the QUICK to black...then you are left wondering it is a neat/efective trick that works if the film fits it i Guess????????

ShanghaiOrange

Music is also better when it just stops instead of fading out.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

filmcritic

I would like to praise the ending of "Raging Bull". The opening and closing shots are really haunting as Robert De Niro is pretending that he's fighting. It's a great ending to a great movie.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Banky

anyone seen the original ending of clerks?

Cecil

Quote from: Bankyanyone seen the original ending of clerks?

yes. bah. like the one in the movie better. the original one seems like another movie almost

Banky

if smith would have gone with the original than the whole context of the movie would change and the film would lose its charm factor.  Im glad he went with the one he did because if he went with the other one maybe Clerks would have flopped and he would have not continued his filmmaking career.  I know all you PTA heads Hate KS cause the whole magnolia thing but You have to give KS his filmmaking credit.

Pas

Can you tell me the difference, because I once heard the one in the french version is the original, and it's the only version I've ever seen.

Banky

in the origianl when Randel leaves at the end, Dante is closing  up and a guy comes in there and shoots him in the head and robs the quick stop.  Its on the DVD, by the way clerks 10 yeah anniversary DVD is coming out soon.

dufresne

There are shadows in life, baby.

oakmanc234

That original ending for 'Clerks' would've dampened the whole flick. I didn't believe it when I heard about it but I just watched it the other night and-DAMN. I thought my friend was making it up, kinda like the time he said that '8 Mile's original ending was that Eminem's character gets shot (by those guys he shamed) while walking back to work. But the 'Clerks' ending freaked me out.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'