Has Pulp Fiction dated?

Started by budgie, January 20, 2003, 09:21:02 AM

Reel

That would've rocked my world so frickin hard, I don't even like to think about it. Eric Stoltz is still one of the funniest parts of the movie to me, but I don't believe him as a Heroin addict at all.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

no... never been, but I know a lot of heroin addicts and they just don't seem to have that much energy. Then again, I've never seen them high.

72teeth

i think he was just a dealer, no?

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Gold Trumpet

It wouldn't have ruined the movie, but I don't think Cobain had an acting bone in him. Whenever someone like that is in a film, it does hurt the scene. Love Brett Favre, but he's nails on a chalkboard in There's Something About Mary.

Reel

Quote from: 72teeth on March 21, 2011, 03:45:27 PM

no. remember he's like "I'm giving you this from my personal supply" and plus who the fuck wants to mess with heroin who doesn't already do it, I mean come on! ( people on the wire excluded, I guess )

and GT, I think you're right. It wasn't a good time for him to be "baring all" onscreen like that when he was dealing with all those accusations of using while he had a baby in real life, but that would've elevated the movie to such greatness. This is why I don't like to think about it, but maybe it would've gotten Cobain out of his own skin and finding a new niche for himself in hollywood, cuz he seemed pretty done with music. Maybe we could've sucked a few more years out of him, who knows?

72teeth

Quote from: Reelist on March 21, 2011, 04:13:40 PM
Quote from: 72teeth on March 21, 2011, 03:45:27 PM

no. remember he's like "I'm giving you this from my personal supply" and plus who the fuck wants to mess with heroin who doesn't already do it, I mean come on! ( people on the wire excluded, I guess )

great, now that scene is ruined. Thanks bro. 

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

the adrenaline shot is still one of the best scenes. The.Best.Scenes.

72teeth

yeah, thats one of those moments where you remember where you were the first time watching it... nothin like the first time.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

I actually take back what I said before about this movie never dating. After you see it for the first time, it's already dated.

pete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6Cp96wn6Y&feature=related

a stephen chow compilation that features an adrenaline needle parody.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

the "oh man, i think I shot marvin in the face" line always cracks me up, and sam jackson losing all coolness right after that.
watching it last week I appreciated it more than I had in ages. specially going back to 1994 when there was really nothing like it around.

I remember a story about harvey weinstein reading the screenplay for the first time and getting more and more excited as the pages went by, at some point calling the guy who gave it to him and going: "the lead just died!! the lead just died!!!...he's coming back, right?!?!? he's coming back. i'll call you later."

cinemanarchist

I bought a paperback copy of the screenplay back in high school and read it every time I was in the bathroom. I'd go through 5-10 pages at a time and when I'd finish it, I'd just start it again. I used to be able to flip right to a specific scene if my mood called for it. I've never had such a total and complete mastery of any piece of writing before or since. So whenever I see Pulp Fiction it always reminds me of taking a shit...in a good way.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

It's probably one of the top 10 movies ever made. If you argued top 5, I'd listen.

I always wondered what it would have been like watching this after I had seen a lot of movies instead of it being one of the first movies I can remember falling in love with. Maybe I wouldn't have underrated it as much. We were kind of spoiled by Pulp Fiction. Nobody before us had seen anything like it, but to us, it was just a cool movie. It isn't until now, after we've watched tons of other movies, past, present and future, that we finally understand how gotdamn good this movie is. I can probably recite every line of this movie. From "I seen em do it, man, they fucking drown 'em in that shit." to "Now, you got a corpse in the car minus the head in the garage. Take me to it." I love Pulp Fiction so much that I love From Dusk Til Dawn just because of the tiny bit of similarities they share.

This movie is kind of what keeps cinema fresh. You could almost judge movies before Pulp Fiction and after. The artform changed when this was made.

It always cracked me up how Sam Jackson has the jheri curls in the movie, but in almost every piece of promotional material I ever saw for it he had short hair.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

Quote from: Stefen on March 24, 2011, 05:37:34 AM
It always cracked me up how Sam Jackson has the jheri curls in the movie, but in almost every piece of promotional material I ever saw for it he had short hair.

haha, oh yeah. What, did they lose his wig? what if Uma Thurman was a blonde in them, or John Travolta had a buzzcut. It would've looked more like an Entertainment Weekly reunion picture than an ad. People'd be like 
"this QT, what's he trying to pull? Is saying the actors are more important than the parts they play?" breaking the fourth wall and shit.