Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

SoNowThen

I see that was on the CC message board, but where is the official announcement? Nothing on the CC website as of yet...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

I'd guess they'll show on the website sometime next week.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

anyway, Rules and Diary are must-haves for me. Funnily enough, I had Pickup rented from the library last week, but didn't get a chance to watch it. Is it worth buying? I've enjoyed bits of Fuller before, but never really loved the whole product...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Oh cool, I've always wanted to see a Bresson movie. He sounds good. Good news, thanks a lot.

I'll check out this Algiers movie, never heard of it. PTA must be right though, he doesn't much like mistakes, you know...he really has always been more into perfection so I guess a recommendation from him couldn't hurt.

Still want to see at least on Sturges movie, he's always been a must see.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenanyway, Rules and Diary are must-haves for me.

Me, too. Bresson is fantastic, and Diary is possibly my favorite of his.

I actually suggesed to Jon Mulvaney that Criterion release some Bresson... this was quite a while back, though. Still, is it possible that they actually came through (for once) with a title suggestion??
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: godardianI actually suggesed to Jon Mulvaney that Criterion release some Bresson... this was quite a while back, though. Still, is it possible that they actually came through (for once) with a title suggestion??

If so, then good job!  :-D  .... Everything I've read about "Diary" makes it sound like a wonderful film. Can't wait for 2004!

Gold Trumpet

TATI Returns!! From the official site:

Mon Oncle and M. Hulot's Holiday Back In Print for 2004

At long last Criterion has succeeded in renewing its rights in Jacques Tati's classic films Mon Oncle, M. Hulot's Holiday, Jour de Fête and Playtime. The original Criterion editions of Mon Oncle and M. Hulot's Holiday will be back in print starting in January of 2004. Watch this space for further news about Playtime and Jour de Fête

And long rumored title The Tin Drum seems to have been confirmed with this post:

Volker Schlöndorff's award-winning "Die Blechtrommel / The Tin Drum" [1979], based on the novel by Günter Grass, will be getting the Criterion-treatment.

Joerg Bauer, who worked for the german DVD-label Kinowelt and made some exclusive supplemental materials for this company (audio commentary with Sydney Pollack on "Three Days of the Condor", documentary on "The Hitcher") and for other companies like Blue Underground (documentary "Daughters of Darkness") and MGM (not credited but responsible for the interviews on the "The Fog" and "Escape from New York" special editions), has founded his own DVD-company. On the website of J.B. DVD & Media Productions he announces his co-operation with Criterion on "Die Blechtrommel / The Tin Drum".

The site is only available in German at this time, but at "Allgemeines" you can find this entry:

Zusätzlich arbeitet er im Moment mit CRITERION an der US-DVD von "DIE BLECHTROMMEL".

It has been a rumor for a long time, but now this seems to be the proof for a Criterion-release.

more good news, indeed.

~rougerum

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTATI Returns!! From the official site:

Mon Oncle and M. Hulot's Holiday Back In Print for 2004

At long last Criterion has succeeded in renewing its rights in Jacques Tati's classic films Mon Oncle, M. Hulot's Holiday, Jour de Fête and Playtime. The original Criterion editions of Mon Oncle and M. Hulot's Holiday will be back in print starting in January of 2004. Watch this space for further news about Playtime and Jour de Fête

And long rumored title The Tin Drum seems to have been confirmed with this post:

Volker Schlöndorff's award-winning "Die Blechtrommel / The Tin Drum" [1979], based on the novel by Günter Grass, will be getting the Criterion-treatment.

Joerg Bauer, who worked for the german DVD-label Kinowelt and made some exclusive supplemental materials for this company (audio commentary with Sydney Pollack on "Three Days of the Condor", documentary on "The Hitcher") and for other companies like Blue Underground (documentary "Daughters of Darkness") and MGM (not credited but responsible for the interviews on the "The Fog" and "Escape from New York" special editions), has founded his own DVD-company. On the website of J.B. DVD & Media Productions he announces his co-operation with Criterion on "Die Blechtrommel / The Tin Drum".

The site is only available in German at this time, but at "Allgemeines" you can find this entry:

Zusätzlich arbeitet er im Moment mit CRITERION an der US-DVD von "DIE BLECHTROMMEL".

It has been a rumor for a long time, but now this seems to be the proof for a Criterion-release.

more good news, indeed.

~rougerum

Oh. My. God.

Tin Drum is ANOTHER title suggestion I made a while back! I can't wait. That's an excellent, excellent film.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

tpfkabi

Tati!!!! Tati!!! i'm so happy...........now if i can get someone to burn my OOP ones and sell them jacked up on eBay??
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: bigideasTati!!!! Tati!!! i'm so happy...........now if i can get someone to burn my OOP ones and sell them jacked up on eBay??

That "whoosh" you just heard was the air going out of the market for all those Criterion Tatis on eBay that were going for $100+

I'm glad I never went that route...

godardian

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: bigideasTati!!!! Tati!!! i'm so happy...........now if i can get someone to burn my OOP ones and sell them jacked up on eBay??

That "whoosh" you just heard was the air going out of the market for all those Criterion Tatis on eBay that were going for $100+

I'm glad I never went that route...

Now, I wonder if they're going to do anything to make those of us who bought them the first time they came out buy them AGAIN? New extras, better mastering, etc?

edison

weird because i just sold my playtime, for a decent sum, feel sorry for that guy.

Gold Trumpet

January releases are up on the site! Not all the new ones learnt, but some great ones (Ikiru, Rules of the Game) along with the Tati reissues (Hulot, Mon Oncle).

IKIRU: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=221

THE RULES OF THE GAME: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=216

MONSIEUR HULOT'S HOLIDAY: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=110

MON ONCLE: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=111

~rougerum

Ghostboy

Yeah, thank god I didn't give in and pay for Mon Oncle on Ebay. This is fantastic news.

xerxes

ikiru... finally... i've been waiting so long

i think i'm gonna cry