ZWAN/Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins

Started by Teddy, May 15, 2003, 07:59:46 PM

Teddy

"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

BonBon85

My one problem with Zwan (and correct me if I'm wrong here): didn't Billy Corgan say the pumpkins broke up because he was unhappy with the state of music and that everything was turning pop? Well from what I've heard aren't Zwan's lyrics a little, erm, pop?

Sleuth

the Zwan CD is very very very very sugary

But I know that's not all they can do, so for future potential I choose "good"
I like to hug dogs

European Son

They're merely good. Very good at times. But never great. I saw them in Atlanta, GA. It was a very fun show. Obviously they don't rise to the artistic heights of the Pumpkins, but I don't think that's what Billy is trying to do anymore. I think he's just trying to have fun now.

Mesh

Far better live than on Mary Star of the Sea.

Billy needs to hand their second album over to Pajo and Sweeney.  They need to write songs, sing them, contribute more, be more present; until that happens, Zwan will always be "Smashing Pumpkins II: The Happy Era."

Teddy

Quote from: BonBon85My one problem with Zwan (and correct me if I'm wrong here): didn't Billy Corgan say the pumpkins broke up because he was unhappy with the state of music and that everything was turning pop? Well from what I've heard aren't Zwan's lyrics a little, erm, pop?

Very true, but from the time the Pumpkins disbanded to the time Zwan came together, Billy changed a lot.  He has finally found some faith in something and now he is contributing what he feels to the music industry.  

"Here comes my faith to carry me on."  
"I declare myself of faith."  
"What I want you can't fucking kill."

He has definately found something, and I love it.

abbey road

smashing pumpkins r one of my favorite bands of all time, and the first time i herd zwan i really hated it, mialy cause i was just expecting another pumpkins album, so it reely put me off. but now that ive given zwan another try i think thier really fantastic, not the pumpkins, but who will ever be, but definetly some great songs--- i love of a broken heart.
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

RegularKarate

My problem with this band is that Billy Corgan sings for it.

Corgan's a cock...  Reason I could never get into the Pumpkins is his whiney pretentious ass wheezing out lyrics.  They had some great songs that the music made up for the vocals, but so far, this Zwan is nothing new... after hearing about how Corgan was breaking barriers of rock, it's kind of funny... but yeah, he sings, so it sucks.

Teddy

The complaint about Corgan's voice is one of the main reasons some folks don't like the Pumpkins.  His voice is an acquired taste, like Vanilla Coke.  You either love it or you hate it.  And if you love it, then you REALLY love it.

phil marlowe

Dirk

At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

NEON MERCURY

RegularKarate

After hearing this statement, 98% percent of America said "Wait... The Smashing Pumpkins broke up?"

Sleuth

Damnit.  I wanted them to release their harsher stuff
I like to hug dogs

smash

I'm sad that Zwan broke up, but I'm glad that Billy will finally do a solo album.  I think it could be great.