Forever

Started by Sleepless, September 26, 2018, 03:22:05 PM

Sleepless

Saw the first two eps of this last night. Funny. Interesting... There's been a lot of secrecy surrounding what the show was about, and having avoided any potential spoilers out there, I can see I legit don't know where this is going to go next. There were two major twists in the second episode which dramatically reshaped what the show is. Both times. I think this is going to be one I want to talk about.

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

Meh. The second episode is definitely the highlight. Episode 6 is a standout too. Overall, though, this really isn't that great. No great mystery to solve, and I didn't feel myself really caring about the characters. More just kept watching because I felt obligated. It's only 8 episodes, not a huge commitment, right? It just felt like the creators weren't really sure where they wanted to go with this. Yet there's the distinct promise of potential more. And I'll be honest, I'm curious... But I'm not looking forward to it. Feel free to move both these posts to What shows are you watching?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

Ha, that was rather anti-climactic. Your first post made it seem so promising.

Sleepless

Definitely some interesting ideas, but after the repeated, let's say, clean slates of the first two episodes, it loses a lot of momentum and even though it *feels* like the creators have an idea of the larger world they've created and what they want to say, it stalls out with little development by the end of ep 3. Ep6 is a interesting bottle ep though.

Edit: Reading the Collider article about Maniac and Netflix's prevalent issue of bloat/lack of pace seems relevant here. Obviously it's a problem not just in Netflix/streaming, because it's something Walking Dead suffered from years ago too.