Author Topic: True Detective  (Read 29914 times)

Fernando

• satan's little helper
  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +242
Re: True Detective
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
+1
Teaser Season 2

Season 2 arrives on June 21st.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1466
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
Seriously though, what a cast. And what a mustache.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1948
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2015, 06:25:56 PM »
+3
I really think this season is going to do for Colin Farrell what the first season did for McConaughey. Farrell can be so goddamn good in the right roles.
First things first, I'm surrealist

Kal

• Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
  • Respect: +201
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2015, 01:57:52 AM »
+3
I hope it does the same for Taylor Kitsch. He had a huge promising career and it all blew up after John Carter and Battleship. He deserves something good.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2015, 03:15:33 AM »
I'll drink to that.

Garam

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »
+3
gif poster!

not great, but i fully support the concept of the gif poster

Mel

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Edgy TV show-watching Russian bodybuilder cartoon.
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
True Detective Season 2: Trailer

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

OpO1832

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
Rachael McAdams training with the knife looks very badass, and not like the fake badass shit you see that permeates a lot of television and movies. real shit. anyway I really enjoyed the marriage of Cary F and Nic P.
I am not sure who is directing these episodes but overall the cast does not get me hyped like the cast from the 1st season.

Cary F made history along with his crew in my book, that amazing long take SHOT on 35mm rivals anything I have seen in both television and movies. Alejandro & Cuaron always cheat when they say they have a long take, its not a real long take with invisible CGI edits and the fact that its shot digitally, not on film, ( birdman ) instantly takes it off the list of real long takes, but I have a strict criteria, I guess. However that said, it is still taxing on the actors and they get props for keeping "it up" for so long.

pete

• freakin huge
  • Respect: +425
    • my site
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
season 2 opening wasn't good...right?
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
I liked it. I think it's in a bit of an impossible situation, where if it's too much like season one, people will say it's repeating itself, and if it's not enough like season one, people will say it's lost what made it special. So far, it's not much like season one, and that's fine. It's its own beast. Farrell and McAdams are predictably great so far. Kitsch hasn't had much chance to show nuance yet, but I expect that to change as the season goes on. Vince Vaughn was also there.

Regardless, it's been one episode. The people heralding the demise of True Detective are being reactionaries for the sake of being reactionaries.

©brad

• Admin
  • Respect: +252
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »
I liked it too but I honestly couldn't follow what the hell was happening for most of it. Need to watch again tonight. Some of the dialogue was pretty bad though. I couldn't tell if it was the actors not being able to sell Nic Pizzolatto's dialogue like Mcconaughey or if the dialogue itself was stilted and trying too hard.

Drenk

• Respect: +585
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »
I thought it was badly written in season 1. I think it's badly written now. But now I miss season 1.

When Don Drapers looks gloomy in the void, something probably happened in the episode. It has meaning. Here everyone was looking very exhausted, looking in the void. In the first minutes of the season. We don't even know who they are.
I'm so many people.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2015, 12:40:27 AM »
+1
Come on guys, this is an ensemble story, so let's give it some time to unfold. I really liked it. Feels like a very solid first episode. It was legitimately thrilling how the leads converged at the end.

The Wire's influence is coming through stronger than ever this season, especially in a few scenes. I can see that fading, unless they bring back police department politics and artificial deadlines.

Strangely, I hated the theme song, but loved all the music that came after it.

Farrell and McAdams are already rich and intense, in a story that is clearly going to get richer and more intense. So that's exciting. I did not like David Morse. (And I always like David Morse.) I have really been trying to give Vince Vaughn a chance lately (despite my reservations), but he needs more to do.

There was a little too much transparent exposition, especially in Rachel McAdams's scenes. I started cringing each time the words "sister" and "daughter" and "father" were spoken. I appreciate the need to establish relationships quickly, but some of those exchanges were designed to draw a family tree in our minds.

The dialogue did feel novelistic, but there were 3 or 4 superb quotable lines. The last one being: "I think you're supposed to savor that." / "Let me try again."

Tictacbk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
+1
It's definitely not as bad as people are making it out to be, at least not yet.  I do think it's missing one key component, though: humor.  You gotta have some humor in there.  That's where I'm missing Woody and McConaughey most (so far).

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2015, 01:11:40 PM »
It's definitely not as bad as people are making it out to be, at least not yet.  I do think it's missing one key component, though: humor.  You gotta have some humor in there.  That's where I'm missing Woody and McConaughey most (so far).

Good points. There was some humor, but it was mostly difficult to interpret as such, since it was usually something sick coming out of Farrell's corrupt detective. Like the things he said to the bully. Although, his Stephen Hawking line was funny.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy