How big is your TV?

Started by Reel, October 24, 2012, 12:38:13 AM

Reel

I thought this could make for some interesting discussion, starting with the title of the thread. I need a bigger TV. I decided this after I bought a blu ray player and realized I wasn't getting the full benefits of 1080p, and even worse- so many movies are letterboxed on 2:34:whateverthefuck that I can barely see them on my measly 20 incher!

So, really I made this thread to ask where I can buy a good, cheap TV. I've already been fucked over twice on craigslist and I think I'm done with that place. Deals on Amazon are so-so and looking like the best I can get for now, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I'd like to start with guessing who has the biggest TV on xixax? I would think it's Macguffin or Regularkarate or someone, one of the O.G.'s

HeywoodRFloyd

I have a 55" LCD Sony Bravia, but even that isn't enough for films framed 2:35.1+

I'm currently looking to buy a projector/home theatre system, I hear these new 1080p projectors are the fucking bomb. 

polkablues

I will bet $10,000 of Mitt Romney's money that Mac has the biggest TV of everyone here.
My house, my rules, my coffee

classical gas

I do hate to condone this massive fuck spree of useless shit, but have you considered waiting a month for black friday???  I'm sure that you could find something reasonable and most of the deals are online.

Reel

I just have so many blu rays and DVD's building up with the 2:34 curse that I need a bigger TV, NOW, goddamnit. That is a good suggestion though, and I will think about it. Thanks.

Pubrick

Mac posted a pic of his set up a couple of years ago, I'm sure it's changed but his tv didn't look bigger than 55 inches, probly cos that size didn't exist back then outside of the military.

I've got a cheap ass 40" Sanyo with full hd resolution, does the job fine.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=440.msg248484#msg248484

I've since moved from that apartment. But I still have the 72" Mitsubishi, and added a 60" Mitsubishi 3D ready DLP to the bedroom that I got for a steal at a Black Friday sale.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I don't personally own a TV, but I moved into a house that has a 60" TV, and my good buddy moved into a house nearby with a 72" TV, so we watch movies there a lot. Previous to this, I mostly just watched movies at the cinema because I don't like watching movies at home (I don't own any DVDs but I occasionally Netflix).

It's funny to think about how, about 10 years ago, I was super into this stuff, and was obsessed with having an awesome 5.1 surround sound system. These days, I prefer to own as little as possible.

Reel

I settled on this 40" inch Magnavox for around $300

Thanks, P. For confirming that a cheap 40 incher can indeed get the job done! I'm excited.

Kal

I have a 55" Samsung and its pretty incredible. Haven't seen anything with a better resolution. Amazing for HD movies and sports. And its SMARTV so it has all the gadgets too.

Reel

I'm such a dullard.

Today I found out I haven't been using my blu ray player to it's full potential. It has an option for the resolution you want ranging from 480i to 1080p and mine was operating under 720p. So all this time I was watching blu rays thinking they looked sort of lackluster, THERE WAS A REASON FOR THAT.

It was also formatted all wrong. I had it under 4:3 instead of 16:9, so every time I'd watch a movie with a 2:35 aspect ratio I always had to zoom in the picture to be able to see it at all. I watched There Will Be Blood like that today, the douche that I am..

so, this is like a public service announcement to tell you guys not to do that, or something...

admins: put this in Neil's "White People Problems" thread if you find it necessary.

on another note: people with 3D TV's- what's so great about 'em?

matt35mm

My heart just shook its head at you. Either that or I'm having a heart attack.

polkablues

Please tell me you don't have "motion smoothing" on.

Reel

Anyone else ever had this problem? My TV will turn off and on by itself, but ONLY when I'm using the bluray player. It's completely random and happens mostly when I'm trying to scroll through something like netflix- which makes it EXTRA annoying, but it never goes on when I'm in the middle of watching something, so that's good. It's only like a 10 second wait, but man has it been a thorn in my side. I can't figure it out, googling the issue only gives me solutions to very specific variations of the same problem, so none of them have helped so far. Just wondering if one of you might have experience with this.

polkablues

Do you have separate remotes for the tv and the blu-ray player or a universal remote controlling both of them?