Most pretentious interviewees

Started by Jeremy Blackman, July 03, 2012, 03:52:11 PM

Jeremy Blackman

This applies to actors and other filmmakers, but two actors come to mind first.

Kevin Costner. A thousand times Kevin Costner. Something about his smugness can be really insufferable, especially in a long interview.

The other one is, surprisingly, Steve Martin. For someone who plays such over-the-top goofy roles, he can take himself waaaay too seriously, and definitely not in an ironic way. I heard an especially severe interview where he was talking about his books. Just has this "I'm a genius" thing running through every utterance.

mogwai

Kevin Smith, if you'd ask him a simple question you better be prepare for a long ride, especially now when he's enjoying the herb.

polkablues

In honor of Neil's shoutbox posting, I nominate Robbie Robertson. It's entertaining to watch, but I don't know how Scorsese kept from smacking the guy a few times.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: Christian on July 03, 2012, 09:44:50 PM
Kevin Smith, if you'd ask him a simple question you better be prepare for a long ride, especially now when he's enjoying the herb.

you beat me to it. I mostly hear him on his podcasts, where he's playing the role of interviewer, but in any case, Man is he a RAMBLER. Kevin will always be someone who I think would be cool to hang out with, but I'm starting to become a lot less invested in being entertained by him. The guy is just lazy, he's said himself that's the reason he's quitting filmmaking, and he makes up for it by talking circles around people. I hate to sound like such a curmudgeon, but he needs to expand his vocabulary a bit if he's planning on just talking for a living. There are only so many 'Fucking's' and 'and shits' I need to hear a person say in order to know they are certifiably DUMB.

©brad

Christopher Nolan. He's got no sense of humor (nor do his films), and every Dark Knight Rises interview I read he sounds either utterly pretentious or annoyed or both (sorry mod).

Neil

Quote from: polkablues on July 03, 2012, 11:19:19 PM
In honor of Neil's shoutbox posting, I nominate Robbie Robertson. It's entertaining to watch, but I don't know how Scorsese kept from smacking the guy a few times.

Probably because Marty had as much coke in his system as Robbie did.

QT is one guy that I cringe when I hear him talk, okay? It's like he's a child, okay, and his unmatched enthusiasm is as annoying as his voice, okay?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Reel

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2012, 05:01:06 PM
QT is one guy that I cringe when I hear him talk, okay? It's like he's a child, okay, and his unmatched enthusiasm is as annoying as his voice, okay?

it's "alright"

Neil

I guess I take back that last comment, that's more of annoying quality than it is a pretentious quality.  Apologies.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

md

Quote from: Reelist on July 04, 2012, 11:14:58 AM
Quote from: Christian on July 03, 2012, 09:44:50 PM
I hate to sound like such a curmudgeon, but he needs to expand his vocabulary a bit if he's planning on just talking for a living.
this is a man who practices what he preaches!  But you'll always be a cumpidgeon
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

InTylerWeTrust

I'm not sure if he is what you might refer to as "pretentious"... But Vincent Gallo interviews are just... Ugh...

The guy is a crazy misanthrope with a superiority complex and an extremely bad temper.... He would suck his own dick if he could.

That character he played in Buffalo '66, man that wasn't no character, that shit was real.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Brando

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 26, 2012, 08:51:46 PM
I'm not sure if he is what you might refer to as "pretentious"... But Vincent Gallo interviews are just... Ugh...

The guy is a crazy misanthrope with a superiority complex and an extremely bad temper.... He would suck his own dick if he could.

That character he played in Buffalo '66, man that wasn't no character, that shit was real.

He gave one of my favorite interviews cause it made me laugh at it's ridiculousness. I believe it was for the documentary about republicans in Hollywood. He talked about knowing he was a republican at an early age cause he identified with Johnny Unitas over Joe Namath. He then talked about how he hated the way he looked cause he looked like the stereotypical Hollywood liberal. He said he wished he looked liked a stereotypical republican like Mitch McConnell. The guy interviewing him for the doc wasn't even sure if he was being serious or not.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

InTylerWeTrust

My favorite is the interview he did on the Howard Stern show...

His level of assholiness makes Stern seem tame.

P.S: Though in all honesty, I feel bad for the guy. The way he is makes me sad because sometimes I can relate to him.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

72teeth

me too..

in the wiener department!
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza