Gaspar Noé

Started by MacGuffin, October 19, 2011, 08:03:57 AM

MacGuffin

Gaspar Noé Wants To Remake Larry Cohen's Cult Movie 'God Told Me To'
Source: The Playlist

The last time we heard from Gaspar Noé he was taking us on a demented POV view through the seamy underbelly of Tokyo in "Enter The Void" and crying over "Avatar." And while he's currently contributing to the forthcoming omnibus "7 Days In Havana," been eyeing Bret Easton Ellis' "The Golden Suicides" and talking about a "sentimental, erotic" movie he wants to make, the unpredictable helmer may have something else completely different in store for us.

Talking recently with Film Comment (print edition via IFC) B-movie maven Larry Cohen—best known for directing blaxploitation classics "Hell Up In Harlem" and "Black Caesar" as well as the horror flick "It's Alive"—revealed that he was approached by a French director, whose name he couldn't recall, looking to acquire the remake rights to his bonkers "God Told Me To." Here's the excerpt from the magazine—the dots are pretty easy to put together:

The 70-year-old Cohen mentioned that he had just come from a meeting with an interesting young Frenchman who was seeking the rights to remake 'God Told Me To.' 'What's his name?' inquired the staffer. 'I don't remember, but he gave me some DVDs of his films.' The director rummaged in a bag and produced copies of "Irreversible" and "Enter the Void."

Of course, it still remains to be seen if this will even pan out but the material is directly in Noe's wheelhouse. The story follows an NYPD cop who has to investigate a series of brutal murders committed, seemingly randomly, by people that claim—you guessed it—"God told me to." And that's just the beginning of a story that gets pretty out there, but if you happen to pick up the DVD of the 1976 film keep an eye out and you'll see Andy Kaufman in his first even big screen appearance playing, appropriately, a possessed policeman. Or you can just watch the scene below.

At any rate, murderers taking their instructions from God in a movie directed by Gaspar Noé? Uh, yeah, that would be amazing. So c'mon Larry, let that Frenchman whose name you can't remember take on the movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

O.

My body is ready

for the strobe lights
superb

wilder

Is Ryan Gosling Starring In Gaspar Noé's Bret Easton Ellis-Penned 'The Golden Suicides?'
via The Playlist

Ellis' Twitter feed provided something more of a surprise overnight, with the writer revealing that one of the hottest stars of the moment is in talks to star in a script that he's written. Ellis has, for a few years now, been working on "The Golden Suicides" which tells the story of artists Jeremy Blake and Theresa Duncan, who killed themselves in 2007, allegedly after harassment from Scientologists. Gus Van Sant consulted on the project initially, but with no intention of directing; instead, it was revealed that "Irreversible" and "Enter The Void" helmer Gaspar Noé was circling the project, which at one time had Angelina Jolie and James Franco looking at the lead roles.

And it looks like Noé's officially on board, as Ellis has related on Twitter that the director's met with Ryan Gosling about the project. The writer, who was at the Chateau Marmont, tweeted "Ryan came to meet Gaspar Noe who is directing The Golden Suicides". Furthermore, a few days earlier, he also tweeted, of the actor's Oscar chances, "Ryan Gosling is going to have to wait this year out and then win the Oscar for playing Jeremy Blake in "The Golden Suicides," which suggests that this wasn't just a casual chat between Gosling and Noé, but that the actor's seriously considering the film, if not locked in already.

New Feeling

Pubrick

Yes.

The best films of the decade are already starting to line up. PTA has made his, now Noé, Mallick is taking a couple of shots at it.

Good times ahead.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Watch: Gasper Noe Directed Video For Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' "We No Who U R"

It's now coming on four years since Gaspar Noe's last feature effort, the trippy "Enter The Void." But he hasn't been sitting idle. The helmer directed a segment of the omnibus film "7 Days In Havana" that made festival rounds last year, and he also hung around the set of Nicolas Winding Refn's "Only God Forgives," perhaps to talk with the actor about starring in the Bret Easton Ellis penned "The Golden Suicides," which both were linked to oh so long ago. But until his next feature is sorted out, Noe kicked off 2013 with an interesting excursion.

The director has helmed the new video for Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds from their upcoming album Push The Sky Away. If you're expecting a Noe freakout, well, you might be disappointed. "We No Who U R" is mostly a lot of walking around in a dark forest with a giant shadow looming. If we didn't know better, it could be "Blair Witch Project 3." Anyway, sate your curiousity below. The album drops on February 19th.

The Ultimate Badass

^I have been of the opinion that Gasper Noe might be a cinematic genius, but that video you posted makes me think he just might not be. It's shit.

Robyn

it's a unambitious music video that doesn't try to be anything but that. relax.

Robyn

polkablues

If all I had seen was "Couch", I would think PTA's a pretty shitty filmmaker.

If all I'd seen was "Crazy Clown Time", I'd think Lynch was the worst filmmaker who's ever lived.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

If I'd only seen the Cave video I wouldn't think Noé was as great as he can be, but I don't have beef with the video. I like it, its hauntedness ropes me in, and I think the approach fits Cave, who works with lots of drifting and repetitious textures. Honestly think the video has some of the magic of Cave's music.

Watch this if you need cinnamon flavor

Kellen

Don't forget this one from Gaspar:

The Ultimate Badass

Quote from: KJ on January 06, 2013, 07:57:38 AM
it's a unambitious music video that doesn't try to be anything but that. relax.

It's a chink in the armor. I can't imagine Kubrick putting his name on such crap.

Quote from: polkablues on January 06, 2013, 12:36:49 PM
If all I had seen was "Couch", I would think PTA's a pretty shitty filmmaker.

Couch was an experimental film made by a director dipping his toes into uncharted waters -- a very particular brand of comedy with a very particular actor.

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on January 06, 2013, 01:10:23 PM
If I'd only seen the Cave video I wouldn't think Noé was as great as he can be, but I don't have beef with the video. I like it, its hauntedness ropes me in, and I think the approach fits Cave, who works with lots of drifting and repetitious textures. Honestly think the video has some of the magic of Cave's music.

Watch this if you need cinnamon flavor

I expected the cops to kick my door in and drag me away for watching this. The video is unsettling and provocative -- definitely Noe'esque.

Technically, I think it's pretty amazing. Hopefully it's a statement on pop culture.

Quote from: Kellen on January 06, 2013, 11:25:39 PM
Don't forget this one from Gaspar:

Now that's more like it.

jenkins

lol.

have you seen lucile hadzihalilovic's movie?

it's good. debie shot it. she's married to noé and credited as a writer on enter the void. i feel like its title should ice your pedo paranoia.

The Ultimate Badass

Haven't seen it, but I'm intrigued. It's now on my to-watch list.

How do you think I'm "pedo paranoid"?