Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

squints

Yeah, i'm on board (have been for a minute), this show is the greatest on tv right now for sure.

Those stark boys are most definitely NOT dead. but that last scene was chilling.

This season has been all about violence against children...all the baby killin from ep 1, the white-walker baby-eatin' from ep 2 and now the mutilated kiddy corpses. This show pulls no punches and i half expect every episode to raise the bar (like i really assumed we'd see a full frontal bloody mess of what Goffrey did to those whores but that didn't happen).

The worst CGI in the show was EP1 when that dire wolf was all up in the captive lannister's face. that looked totally whack.

What i imagine will be the most difficult CGI and the thing i'm looking forward to the most?

Mother. Fucking. Dragons.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Fernando

spoilers S02E08

they're alive! I know they had to right? but through out the episode I feared again, until I saw Osha.

I loved that ending, seeing Bran awake hearing the whole conversation with Hodor and his brother in the background, it was a sad and beautiful image.

Fernando

spoilers

what an episode last night, great great stuff.

first, theres no way they can cover the whole story lines in 50+ minutes, asked about it and apparently the episode will be 64 minutes. the opening credits are 1:50, end credits around 90 secs, that would be 60 actual minutes of the show, like ten more minutes than usual.

Tyrion is the man, he's hurt but he'll live im guessing. I thought the guy from the king's guard that hit him was joffrey's personal guard (the one that slapped sansa) but apparently it was not him. so maybe cersei ordered that? anyway, after the hound ran away and fucking joffrey cowardly ran after his mother request, tyrion is stronger than ever (if he's not that hurt), at least the soldiers are rooting for him, and his plan with the wildfire worked like a charm.

speaking of the hound, itll be great for next season to see his adventures along sansa...again if in the next episode they are not caught and killed.

poor stubborn stannis, now he wishes he had the red witch by his side, I wonder if she or the smoke devil will show up.

diggler

I'm pretty sure Sansa turned down The Hound's offer, so she's staying in King's Landing.  With Loras showing up at the end, it looks like Margery might the one to marry Joffrey, which is bad news for Sansa. 

I loved how they focused on one storyline this episode. For all the complaining people do about the lack of battle scenes, it seems like the show needed to do that to get everyone to shut the hell up.  Neil Marshall excels at splitting bodies in half.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

spoilers

Good episode indeed. Loved the big green asplosion. Tywin's dramatic entrance very much worked for me. So weird to be cheering for the Lannisters, but as we know by now, that ambiguity and constant "who am I cheering for?" tension is part of what makes the story great. So much like Breaking Bad Season 4.

Quote from: ddiggler on May 28, 2012, 09:49:59 PMWith Loras showing up at the end, it looks like Margery might the one to marry Joffrey, which is bad news for Sansa.

Or is it?

diggler

I think it would be bad for her.  If she's not Queen, and Jaime shows up released, they have no reason to keep her alive. It's not like she can go back to Winterfell, but she certainly shouldn't stay in King's Landing. 

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ddiggler on May 29, 2012, 05:19:22 PM
I think it would be bad for her.  If she's not Queen, and Jaime shows up released, they have no reason to keep her alive. It's not like she can go back to Winterfell, but she certainly shouldn't stay in King's Landing.

Well, think of it this way. Cersei and friends don't view her as a threat, really. They see her as a naive, weak, subjugated girl. Joffrey might have her killed, but Tyrion wouldn't stand for it, nor would Tywin, or even Cersei for that matter. And Joffrey's position seems weakened at this point. Sansa could stay in King's Landing and be trapped in some courtly role. I imagine they'd get some satisfaction continuing to keep her trapped. We don't know when or if Jaime will arrive at King's Landing, so for the time being Sansa is still a bargaining chip with Robb, in addition to all the other stuff.

Pubrick

Haha, a cunning stratagem, Jeremy b.

This show needs more than ten episodes a season, I don't want to read the books but I just can't believe they're adapting a whole book per season. They must be cutting massive chunks out. Without spoiling can someone confirm this either way? If there is nothing major left unadapted from each book in its respective season, then I might be tempted to give the first two a read after the next episode.

Here's something else i don't get: it doesn't matter anymore since she has run away, but why did tywin seem cool with his little helper girl Arya being such a liar about everything she pretended to be? Finding out she's a girl I can understand he saw she was just trying to survive, it impressed the old perv or whatever, but then he cottons on to the fact she's not some blacksmiths daughter but a noble lady.. and he doesn't give a shit? Shouldn't he at least be curious about who her parents are/were?

Same goes for cersei noticing shae in this last episode, but at least she was drunk and in the middle of a siege and suffering yet another prolonged stroke going by the severity of her brow-overacting.

Fave characters season 1
Eddard "Ned" Stark
Daenerys "khaleesi" Targaryen

Fave characters season 2
Tyrion "half man" Lannister
Arya "dickensian street urchin" Stark

Fave characters season 3
Omar
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pubrick on May 29, 2012, 10:19:14 PMThis show needs more than ten episodes a season, I don't want to read the books but I just can't believe they're adapting a whole book per season. They must be cutting massive chunks out. Without spoiling can someone confirm this either way? If there is nothing major left unadapted from each book in its respective season, then I might be tempted to give the first two a read after the next episode.

I agree, 12 episodes minimum.

From what I've heard, yes, lots is skipped (though much of it is backstory and tangents). But the way they try to do it is combine and simplify, rather than omit. This last episode is a prime example of that, and written by GRRM himself... apparently he just picked the highlights of the Stannis siege and made it much shorter/simpler.

Quote from: Pubrick on May 29, 2012, 10:19:14 PMHere's something else i don't get: it doesn't matter anymore since she has run away, but why did tywin seem cool with his little helper girl Arya being such a liar about everything she pretended to be? Finding out she's a girl I can understand he saw she was just trying to survive, it impressed the old perv or whatever, but then he cottons on to the fact she's not some blacksmiths daughter but a noble lady.. and he doesn't give a shit? Shouldn't he at least be curious about who her parents are/were?

He picked her out of a prison population, so perhaps he expects some shadiness, but ultimately sees her as harmless, maybe colored by the fact that she amuses him. It would be a stretch for him to believe she's a Stark.

Quote from: Pubrick on May 29, 2012, 10:19:14 PMSame goes for cersei noticing shae in this last episode, but at least she was drunk and in the middle of a siege and suffering yet another prolonged stroke going by the severity of her brow-overacting.

There might be some follow-up on that, assuming Cersei remembers. Hopefully Shae realizes she should get out of King's Landing now. It would be a Shaem if something happened to her.

diggler

I think the 10 episodes is due to budgetary constraints.  If they stretched the story out, the production quality would suffer. I heard they had to beg HBO for extra money to pull this last episode off. 

I don't think Sansa is safe at all. She summed it up perfectly: "The worst ones always live".  She not only has to worry about the Lannisters now, but the Tyrells as well. Margaery gives off a seriously evil vibe.

Jeremy Blackman

Well, yeah, I guess "safe" would be an exaggeration. I just don't think she's getting killed.

The Perineum Falcon

I would say 70 to 80% of each episode deviates from the source material, either through omission or fabrication (the Robb and Daenerys storylines, especially; Season One was more faithful). Some of this could be said to be "minor," but much of it sacrifices the authenticity of the story/world, and changes the characters quite significantly. In some cases, they seem to be writing themselves into a trap, if they still intend to go the same direction as the novels.
That said, I still enjoy the show, and forgive some of its transgressions, but others I have a hard time wrapping my head around.
While I agree that more episodes would be better, if they would change the layout it might improve the quality without upping the budget. Instead of attempting to develop every character every episode, why not focus on half of them, and alternate those groups? You could get more development in for each character each episode, and rid yourself of those 5 minute "scenes" where very little seems to happen. The  last episode is a great example of what I'm talking about. Can you imagine it working any other way had they checked back in with Jon or Daenerys just to say "hey"?

Also, Book 3 will be split into Season 3 and Season 4, which is a great decision. It's definitely the most important to keep intact, and the most heartbreaking.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Jeremy Blackman

Wow, well, that certainly sounds like a lot of deviation. Does this have GRRM's blessing or involvement?

The Perineum Falcon

He is supposed to have full script approval, which puzzles me even more. Sometimes I just don't think he reads closely enough......
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Pubrick on May 29, 2012, 10:19:14 PM
Fave characters season 3
Omar

I can't wait to see him in a scene with Arya holding her own