Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

picolas

*book differences 4x07 not book spoilers*

you're misreading. i'm saying the way they revealed it in the show--two episodes back, for no reason--was far less motivated and less impactful than the way they reveal it in the book, which should have been this episode.

Jeremy Blackman

Hmm that does sound better, picolas. As a non-book reader, that reveal still definitely felt smashed in there. Could feel the writers behind it in a way I generally haven't this season.

The imperfectness of the Sansa business, I think, can be attributed to the problematic direction. It's weird because the same guy directed the previous ep.

i agree picolas. ive read that part of the book, after being told about it, after last episode, not when it happened in the tv series. and it is infinitely more satisfying.

Fernando

Good episode, some thoughts.

I'd have liked a better reaction from Arya when she heard that Joffrey was death, he was probably at the top of her list and yet when that guy mentions Joffrey's gone she doesn't react, and the camera didn't stay long on her either for that matter, anyway a minor complaint.

All three of Tyrion's scenes where top notch, since he was incarcerated I've been worried that he would be killed but now that Oberyn will be his Champion that fear is gone, and I don't have a clue what will happen really (haven't read the 3rd book) but the Viper will beat the Mountain and hope it will be glorious.

About Sansa, that damn kiss felt like it lasted an hour, so JB was right, he wants to protect her and bed her, I hope the latter doesn't happen. This show gets its fx right almost every time, but when Littlefinger throws Lysa through the moon door, the first frame of her falling looked a little fake. And how the hell will Littlefinger get away with that? I mean she has guards and shit, how will he justified that or will he run with Sansa? whatever happens I cant wait.

btw, no game next Sunday.  :yabbse-angry:

Mel

Spoilers 4x07

Quote from: Fernando on May 21, 2014, 01:17:40 PM
I'd have liked a better reaction from Arya when she heard that Joffrey was death, he was probably at the top of her list and yet when that guy mentions Joffrey's gone she doesn't react, and the camera didn't stay long on her either for that matter, anyway a minor complaint.

It was right for where characters is going, at least it seems so. There is so much death around here, that I guess she is getting used to it. Stabbing guy in the heart was almost mechanical - no emotions, just something she had to do.

About Sansa, that damn kiss felt like it lasted an hour, so JB was right, he wants to protect her and bed her, I hope the latter doesn't happen.

She was abused and played for such a long time, that I wouldn't be so surprised if she felt for a protective figure as creepy as it sounds.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Jeremy Blackman

It's clear from all our various complaints that it was the worst directed episode of the season, maybe in a while actually. Shame.

Quote from: Mel on May 21, 2014, 01:45:27 PMShe was abused and played for such a long time, that I wouldn't be so surprised if she felt for a protective figure as creepy as it sounds.

Yeah, exactly. She also seems to be reacting to his potential sincerity, his appreciation for her mother, etc.

Fernando

Quote from: Mel on May 21, 2014, 01:45:27 PM
Spoilers 4x07

It was right for where characters is going, at least it seems so. There is so much death around here, that I guess she is getting used to it. Stabbing guy in the heart was almost mechanical - no emotions, just something she had to do.

while what you are saying sounds about right, in the specific case of Joffrey I wish we had seen something different, I mean this is the guy that took her father's head, she was right there at Baelor's statue when the little shit yelled ''bring me his head'', fortunately for her Yoren stopped her from going up there; he also was responsible for the killing of Micah and Sansa's wolf, and she had to scare away hers, so even if she's getting used to see and kill ppl, Joffrey being death should be a big fucking deal for her, he's done way too much harm to her and her family.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Fernando

Fernando

SPOILS S4E8

I don't have a clue what will happen really (haven't read the 3rd book) but the Viper will beat the Mountain and hope it will be glorious.

fuuuuuuuuuck, I feel like someone punched me in the gut.

at least I wasn't wrong that I didn't have a clue. how will Tyrion get away of this one? I hope he does but it doesn't look like it will happen, will Jamie save him? how? this damn show, the red viper was my fave new character. fuck!

Sansa looked like Maleficent in that last scene, and apparently she's finally manipulating littlefinger or so I like to think so.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Yeah, that was definitely high on the list of GoT gut punches. The sound of Oberyn's skull exploding is so loud in the mix, too. Gawd.

Part of me loves how that played out, because it was so powerful, and because it illustrated quite well how revenge was his downfall. On the other hand, it feels like the whole "kill your favorite characters" thing is getting very close to crossing a line into tiresomeness and even predictability.

I'm guessing Jaime frees Tyrion but people believe he escaped, and Tyrion becomes an exile of some kind, embarking on a long journey, eventually to finally be reunited with Sansa! Yeah except for that last part.

When this show started, I heard from several book readers that Sansa was one of the show's least interesting characters, especially compared to her sister Arya. But I'm finding the opposite to be true. Arya is entertaining, but a little one note and kind of cold-blooded. And she has a fraction of Sansa's complexity... certainly now. I loved Sansa's testimony scene, even if I could see it coming from a mile away. I wonder what Baelish thinks of her now... is he falling for her, or is he beginning to respect her as an equal? It wasn't clear from the various "well, isn't she interesting" looks he gave her this episode.

Drenk

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

I read the books and knew what would happen to Oberyn. But still, the Red Viper is so fucking dumb! I was tense. The same way I believed Mufassa might not die this time in The Lion King, I believed Oberyn might kill the fucking Mountain. Just kill the dude, Oberyn, you arrogant prick.

Sansa is one of my favorite characters in the book, and was glad that, for once, the show showed how she's learned to survived. She's not the naive girl of the first season. She's tough.
Ascension.

Mel

Spoilers 4x08

According to honest trailer for GoT: "Actors on The Walking Dead have better job security". Still this was traumatizing.

My question is what happens if both champions die? Mountain took spear to the guts and we have seen characters dying from lesser wounds already. Doesn't look good for Tyrion anyway.

Arya laughing - good indication how events so far affected her.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

spoilers ep8

i don't care if i'm out of line here or who disagrees with me: that episode sucked and the show is starting to.

that fight was fucking ridiculous for numerous reasons:
- oberyn talking the whole time was just silly.
- the mountain taking that long to kill him was ridiculous. i don't know if any of you know anything about sword fighting, but he is supposed to be this legendary fighter and he's stumbling around like an idiot with that sword, he looked like a giant baby.
- he got the mountain down, he put a fucking spear in his chest. HE WON THE FIGHT. if he wasn't dead YET, he still fucking won. if they are adhering to these weird medieval laws, you'd think there'd be MORE strictness than gray area, as has been seen so far. it's like, if you do something, no matter what the variables are, the consequences follow. so why in the hell did he get his opponent down, and from that point on it was up in the air what the verdict was??!? just because in a reflexive dying moment he happened to grab the stupid guy, that negates the fact that he was bested and fatally wounded by his opponent? call me stupid, but that makes no sense to me and the whole scene was bullshit. oberyn looked like a weird gay idiot, and before this he was pretty cool.

- as others mentioned before: killing off characters is boring and predictable and ridiculous now. especially the fact that how they do it is the same every time. "you think everythings cool? NO ITS NOT" i mean, when south park makes a freaking trilogy based solely on your plot device, its no longer a stereotype, it's a joke.

- bringing up all this shit from the past and tying up forgotten loose ends may work really well in the books, but in a tv show like this it's just confusing. jora getting cut loose for some shit that happened seasons ago that wasn't a big deal anymore and hasn't been addressed regularly? who cares. "now your name is bolton!" i thought it was already because i don't give a shit. they're juggling waaayy too many chainsaws at this point.

- sansa's scene was brilliant, i honestly loved how it played out.

- tyrions beetle story was beautiful.

- theon's performance, if you can call it that, was pretty dumb and weird. how could a dude that's been mentally and physically tormented and brainwashed just snap into a role and say things like that convincingly? or even just say them? he's been barely able to string a sentence together without sounding like a caveman, and he forgot his own fucking sister? so out of nowhere he can pretend to be his old self flawlessly? ok, i know he breaks down a little near the end, but still!!

still a huge fan but jesus what a disaster...

Drenk

Quote from: 03spoilers ep8

i don't care if i'm out of line here or who disagrees with me: that episode sucked and the show is starting to.

that fight was fucking ridiculous for numerous reasons:
- oberyn talking the whole time was just silly.
- the mountain taking that long to kill him was ridiculous. i don't know if any of you know anything about sword fighting, but he is supposed to be this legendary fighter and he's stumbling around like an idiot with that sword, he looked like a giant baby.
- he got the mountain down, he put a fucking spear in his chest. HE WON THE FIGHT. if he wasn't dead YET, he still fucking won. if they are adhering to these weird medieval laws, you'd think there'd be MORE strictness than gray area, as has been seen so far. it's like, if you do something, no matter what the variables are, the consequences follow. so why in the hell did he get his opponent down, and from that point on it was up in the air what the verdict was??!? just because in a reflexive dying moment he happened to grab the stupid guy, that negates the fact that he was bested and fatally wounded by his opponent? call me stupid, but that makes no sense to me and the whole scene was bullshit. oberyn looked like a weird gay idiot, and before this he was pretty cool.

- as others mentioned before: killing off characters is boring and predictable and ridiculous now. especially the fact that how they do it is the same every time. "you think everythings cool? NO ITS NOT" i mean, when south park makes a freaking trilogy based solely on your plot device, its no longer a stereotype, it's a joke.

- bringing up all this shit from the past and tying up forgotten loose ends may work really well in the books, but in a tv show like this it's just confusing. jora getting cut loose for some shit that happened seasons ago that wasn't a big deal anymore and hasn't been addressed regularly? who cares. "now your name is bolton!" i thought it was already because i don't give a shit. they're juggling waaayy too many chainsaws at this point.

- sansa's scene was brilliant, i honestly loved how it played out.

- tyrions beetle story was beautiful.

- theon's performance, if you can call it that, was pretty dumb and weird. how could a dude that's been mentally and physically tormented and brainwashed just snap into a role and say things like that convincingly? or even just say them? he's been barely able to string a sentence together without sounding like a caveman, and he forgot his own fucking sister? so out of nowhere he can pretend to be his old self flawlessly? ok, i know he breaks down a little near the end, but still!!

still a huge fan but jesus what a disaster...

SPOILERS

I agree with you 03, they didn't do justice to the scene. It should not have been a cliffhanger; at this point, it's just ridiculous, looks like a gimmick. In the books, Oberyn doesn't have the charm he has in the show. He's an arrogant prick. It doesn't surprise me that he thinks he's untouchable. He wants vengeance. And he's a moron. The fact is: please, show runners, stop ending your episodes with someone dying.

Do we talk about the Unsullied watching naked ladies? No? Yeah. I don't understand what happened there. 50 Shades of Unsullied, maybe?

But the Sansa part was great.

I love GoT, it has perfect moments; I love all the scenes between Jaime and Tyrion. It's intimate and yet feels epic, in my opinion. But Daenerys bores me, and they shouldn't parody themselves. Oberyn's death in itself is not a big moment, the consequences are. That's what I want to watch.
Ascension.