Alcatraz

Started by Sleepless, May 16, 2011, 11:13:30 AM

Sleepless

Fox is the first network to announce pickups for the next season by ordering a number of new series late Tuesday. Included on their fall roster is Alcatraz, a time-travel series created by Star Trek producer/director JJ Abrams and starring Jorge Garcia (Lost) and Sam Neill (Jurassic Park). Produced by Abrams' Bad Robot.

More info will follow soon hopefully... But I'm excited by this already :)
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

another series set on an island? well, I'm game as long as it's not as confusing as the first one.

Jeremy Blackman

Lost is not confusing.

As long as you've watched it beginning to end.

Also, J.J. Abrams was not Lost's showrunner and was only sparsely involved after its creation... so this could be very different.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

And it doesn't appear to be, "set on an island."

I suppose the United States is and island, but i don't think that's what you were going for.

Looks interesting although i have no idea what it could possibly be about. 
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pubrick

Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2011, 02:22:22 AM
I suppose the United States is and island,

wait.. what?
under the paving stones.

Reel

I never got through lost because it was TOO CONFUSING.

and it damn well better be set on Alcatraz, or I'm not watching it.

What am I saying? I'm not watching it.

Pas

what was confusing about lost? did you have a hard time at school? because i know very stupid people who got through lost easily

edit: that was not a very nice thing to say, sorry  :doh:

Jeremy Blackman

It has to be reiterated, though... Lost is not confusing.

If you're saying it's confusing in the sense that big mysteries are not answered until very late in the series, well, that's mystery, not confusion. In fact, knowing that there are mysteries in the show, or things that are simply unknown at a given point in the series, should make it even less confusing.

Like I said, if you haven't followed the series from the beginning, I completely understand confusion, but otherwise, I don't get it.

I actually went into Lost hoping it would be more confusing, and I ended up loving it for other reasons.

Also, there are definitely enough Lost fans on Xixax that we could probably explain whatever is confusing, if you're interested.

Pozer

Quote from: Pas on May 17, 2011, 08:45:06 AM
what was confusing about lost? did you have a hard time at school? because i know very stupid people who got through lost easily

haha, i f-ing love when Pas gets like this. i'm too lazy to do a montage but when he fires off putdowns only to conclude with apologetics.

were you born into a family of imbecility? seriously, did you fuck goats as a kid? you did didn't you, you half-witted goatfucker..... i'm sorry, that was harsh. i don't know where my head was at  :oops:

Reel

Pas can get pretty mean, but there's always something forgivable about it. Maybe because he's Canadian.

I guess I'm just not interested in Lost. I understand what JB means, it is a very well developed show, probably the best in years. I don't got time to invest myself in things like that, I got better things to do like watch the Wire and Sopranos  :yabbse-smiley:

Pas

Quote from: Pozer on May 17, 2011, 11:43:58 AM
Quote from: Pas on May 17, 2011, 08:45:06 AM

haha, i f-ing love when Pas gets like this. i'm too lazy to do a montage but when he fires off putdowns only to conclude with apologetics.

were you born into a family of imbecility? seriously, did you fuck goats as a kid? you did didn't you, you half-witted goatfucker..... i'm sorry, that was harsh. i don't know where my head was at  :oops:

HAHAHA! Reelist got it though

Quote from: Reelist on May 17, 2011, 12:02:00 PM
Maybe because he's Canadian.

We apologize for being alive really.

I so blame Pubrick for my on/off nastiness. I was a gentle boy before witnessing his wrath.

pete

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 17, 2011, 11:36:26 AM
It has to be reiterated, though... Lost is not confusing.

If you're saying it's confusing in the sense that big mysteries are not answered until very late in the series, well, that's mystery, not confusion. In fact, knowing that there are mysteries in the show, or things that are simply unknown at a given point in the series, should make it even less confusing.

Like I said, if you haven't followed the series from the beginning, I completely understand confusion, but otherwise, I don't get it.

I actually went into Lost hoping it would be more confusing, and I ended up loving it for other reasons.

Also, there are definitely enough Lost fans on Xixax that we could probably explain whatever is confusing, if you're interested.

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: pete on May 22, 2011, 04:15:31 AM

Right, I remember that video.

Most of those questions actually were answered, very obviously, or the answers were strongly implied, or it's pretty easy to figure out on your own. The remainders are just not important questions or shouldn't be answered for other reasons. Some less concrete questions are meant to be left to the viewer's interpretation, and others are meant to remain mysteries, because mystery is much of what made the show great. There are only maybe 2 or 3 important or semi-important questions that are truly unanswered.

Anyway, I'll give some examples. I'll just start from the beginning of the video...

Q: Why did the monster kill the pilot?
A: He kills people all the time, sometimes just to spite Jacob... he just can't kill people who are on the list.

Q: What did Lock see when he first saw the smoke?
A: The smoke.

Q: What's with the polar bear in Walt's comic?
A: It foreshadows the polar bear on the island. It's a narrative device.

Q: Where is Christian Shephard's body?
A: Smokey probably took it, since he served as Christian's doppelganger pretty immediately.

Q: Why did the psychic say that Claire had to fly on Oceanic Flight 815?
A: Since so much of the show is about fate, he's probably just keeping her on her path. Perhaps with influence from Jacob.

Q: Why did he insist that her son had to be raised by Claire?
A: He was probably warning her about Aaron's eventual abduction, and foreshadowing it for us. Seems kind of obvious.

Q: Why did the Others want Walt so badly?
A: Because he was special, and they wanted to study him, and hopefully keep him as their own. This one is actually explained explicitly through dialogue.

We could go on...

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 22, 2011, 12:06:08 PM
There are only maybe 2 or 3 important or semi-important questions that are truly unanswered.

what are those questions and what is your answer for them
under the paving stones.