SURVIVOR (BLOOD V. WATER)

Started by picolas, August 12, 2010, 03:48:51 AM

picolas

hahaha yes he's already at least 15% kurtz as is. and yes, philip's comedy is almost TOO perfect. i wonder what the interview process was like/how much they had to withhold their laughter and joy.

i was also a fan of how stephanie handled russ' proposition. of course she agrees, but she's also adamant they stay away from each other. it's a classic case of russ being more played than player, as with parvati.

picolas

i think that episode probably marked rob and russ at their worst, gameplay-wise.

rob's insane paranoia over a HANDSHAKE needlessly burned two allies and turned a mighty 6-way alliance into a tribe of 4 vs. 3. if ONE person flips, he's in trouble. not to mention he's in terrible shape for the merge.

russell's arrogance is embarrassing now.
"maaaaaaybe there was a clue..."
"WAS there??"
"maaaaaybe there was..."
"did you take it?"
"....no."

it was like when homer needed to take credit for being mr. x. so stupid. it's kind of fascinating how pathetic he is now. so pumped for him to leave.

polkablues

I don't think Rob seriously decided to vote what's-his-hair out based on his congratulating the other team. He had already decided to do it, and that was the excuse that he found to be able to sell the idea to his core subset alliance. He was concerned about the connection between Hair and Lemur Girl, and he wanted to break up any strong alliance that wasn't directly to himself.

You could certainly make the case that they just weakened themselves in challenges, and I'd be very sympathetic to that argument, but from his perspective, he still has the numbers, and in fact strengthened his core three allies, and he eliminated a potential future threat before it had a chance to develop. The other choice would have been voting out Phillip, and Rob sees him as a useful idiot. He has his vote for now, and Phillip's not sly enough to backstab him without telegraphing it days ahead of time.

Russell is still a bloviating jackass, though. You got that part right.
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

oh yeah it wasn't his primary reason although i think he was genuinely on edge about the handshake because he was talking about it in confessionals. targeting Hair just cause he's bonding with Lemur is so premature. if i was in that core alliance, i would be uber paranoid from rob's ability to perfectly orchestrate a blindside like that. he burned two very friendly bridges on day six.

MacGuffin

The fact that no one has commented here for months just shows what a boring and predictable season this was, with a cast of drones without personallities. Rob wasn't the evil mastermind he was made out to be; he was just surrounded by mindless idiots. He was like the Pied Piper leading the vermon along.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Rob played a textbook-perfect game.  No one else even bothered to play.

Phillip's batshit craziness kept me entertained, though.  Without him, it would have been an entirely forgettable season.

picolas

yeah it's pretty unfortunate how everything went after kristina was eliminated. on the other hand, i did find rob's dominance kind of fascinating, and it's crazy to think that i've witnessed this man's ten-year journey, at times rooting for and against him. i'd say he played the perfect AGGRESSIVE game, but i still might put Tom or JT's game ahead for essentially making everyone like them too much. i was LOVING phil's storyline when it looked like he might rise up and overthrow the rob zombies, but he crossed the line into annoying after the merge. his final tribal performance was incredible, though. all around funniest final tribal ever. i really liked the moment when rob copped to the fact that he was a harsh ruler, but found that extremely effective within the game. knowing he would never play again.. it was like a dying sensei revealing his secrets before ascending to another plane..

i cannot think of who the next two returnees could be... was richard hatch out of prison long enough?

polkablues

I want it to be Phillip and Coach so bad, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Parvati and Amanda, or Parvati and Stephenie. Some combination like that. Maybe not Stephenie, since she really played poorly her last time out.

picolas

i forgot to add: i think this season showcased how shitty the final three really is. it makes the players far less likely to take chances both strategically and socially, because you can afford to be someone's second-best ally and still make it to the end. with final two you NEED to be the number one person or find someone else who will have you as their number one. the idea of final three allows people like grant, ashley, natalie, and phil to believe even if they aren't closest to rob, he could still be taking them to the end. it just makes being a puppet way more enticing. if they ever reinstate final two again, they need to let everyone know at the start of the game. it would stir shit up.

MacGuffin

Can I punch Colton in the face and not be arrested for gay bashing? It would be justified, right?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

He's the worst.  His smug little kid face when things go his way is just made for punching.

In a sense, he's following the Russell Hantz game plan, which is to act like you're in charge and berate people who question your right to be in charge until they simply acquiesce.  Unlike Russell, he doesn't do anything that would make him otherwise valuable to keep around, such as help at camp or be good at challenges.  Russell unwittingly perfected the second-place game, but I would be amazed if Colton makes it to the top seven.  He would have been voted out already if he wasn't surrounded by such witless idiots.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I'm just pissed this means that a) we don't get the joy of watching him actually get voted off, and b) this SEALS THE DEAL that he will be brought back for another season.  Next year will be Colton vs. Cochran, mark my words.

polkablues

Have you guys been watching the new season? The whole friends & family gimmick is paying dividends. It opens up so many layers of strategy that we've never seen before in the game. It even makes Redemption Island bearable(ish).

picolas

yes. this is a really excellent season. the sumo challenge was so great on so many levels. i love that tyson hasn't ruined his game yet. if the coconut bandits make it to the end i'll be through the roof.