Everything torrent and now copyright law

Started by Pas, May 05, 2010, 01:44:28 PM

Pas

Hey some of you may have noticed I deleted a thread I started last night about torrents. Thought maybe it wasn't the right place for this kind of talk etc.

I changed my mind and I'm starting another, larger one.

I want none of that 0day shit or CAM releases talk though, that is the stuff that really piss off the corporations I guess. Not the weird-ass VHS rip or foreign releases I usually go after.

So, any of you guys on these private tracker sites? Yesterday I got on Cinemageddon (rare action movies/b-shit) and now SoNowThen is hooking me up with a Cinematik invite so I'll be dloading some pretty sweet stuff in the coming days.

Anyone using a seedbox? Just got one minutes ago so I can't wait to get home and try it. For the clueless, here's what it's about: it makes you download/upload torrents at 10mb/s (actual speed, meaning theorical speed is more 100mbs/1gbs) on a dedicated server. It will make your ratio explode because you can seed from the seedbox at 10mb/s AND it doesn't count towards your ISP bandwidth limit (because people leech from the seedbox and not your internet connection)

Then, when the downloaded torrent is on your server, you just have to direct-download it normally as if it was a straight up regular internet link. Pretty cool, right?

Pubrick

I like that you posted this in DVD Talk. I'm going to allow it cos that seedbox business just blew my mind.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Yeah, that's craziness (in a good way). How much did it cost?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Quote from: polkablues on May 05, 2010, 02:10:09 PM
Yeah, that's craziness (in a good way). How much did it cost?

It's pretty crazy indeed, especially when your ISP is throttling your speed. Because when you download it back from the seedbox, you can use FTP which means no throttling, which means full god damned speed. Also useful for transfering stuff to friends, really.

I've looked around a bit and got it for 8 euros a month. But I didn't take the cheapest, which was about 4USD. Cheaper means you have less space on your dedicated server.

There's also a bit of a legal-safety conundrum about it... you don't even need a bittorrent client on your hard drive and all the traffic your ISP will see will not be p2p but FTP so it's much less risky than just downloading torrents normally. There will also be no upload traffic so it completely masks the fact you are actually sharing stuff. So it really makes you less suspicious. But, on the other side, you used your credit card to buy the thing. So if the shit really hits the fan, it's that much easier to know who you are.

I dunno... I took one in europe just to make double-sure... but yeah.

New Feeling

I only really started downloading movies in February and have grabbed about 600 since then.  Last month I got on Karagarga which is absolutely amazing.  It is pretty easy to score an invite over at the freakyflicks message board, and I highly recommend doing so.  It has been really crazy to realize that virtually everything is now available within hours.   

Stefen

I belong to most big torrent sites.

Karagarga
Cinemageddon
indietorrents
what.cd
and waffles.fm.

I've handed out plenty of invites and still will.

I just changed my isp to comcast a few months ago so I've been apprehnsive to really download lots of stuff. A seed box may be in my future.

Has anyone had any trouble with p2p with comcast? Any tips?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on May 05, 2010, 08:04:46 PM
I belong to most big torrent sites.

Karagarga
Cinemageddon
indietorrents
what.cd
and waffles.fm.

I've handed out plenty of invites and still will.

I just changed my isp to comcast a few months ago so I've been apprehnsive to really download lots of stuff. A seed box may be in my future.

So...since we're in a posse now and everything, how's bout you share some invites with me? Any you can spare would be appreciated. If you are so kind, I promise not to shit in your chamberpot.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Pas

Karagarga
Cinemageddon
indietorrents
what.cd
and waffles.fm.

Ever been on Cinematik? I like the huge selection of intellectual shit but I hate there's not a single rip in there, it's all DVD-R. Cinematik is the exact opposite of Cinemageddon.

What's Karagarga all about? Do you think there's a VHSrip or TVrip or (God that'd be sweet for the french version) a DVD-R of Bodo - Eine ganz normale Familie on there? also known as The Wiz Kid (or Wizkid I don't know) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096962/

Can't find that damn movie anywhere!!!!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I had Comcast for 2 years and had no problems, and I downloaded tons and tons of stuff.  Legally.  All legal.   :waving:
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

The Perineum Falcon

i'm new to torrents (and i've NEVER d/led a movie before), but i'm interested in finding those films that are unavailable in either the US or on dvd at all. Which would be the best source for those more obscure/difficult titles? I'm not expecting a userguide, just a recommendation on sources.

I'm thinking of Jean Eustache, Phillipe Garrel, etc etc (of course, A Swedish Love Story would be lovely, too).
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pas

You have to find an invite on a private tracker like Cinematik or (I guess) Karagarga

I don't have any. :(

Stefen

I only have invites to what and waffles. It's harder to maintain a ratio on movie tracker.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on May 07, 2010, 05:24:31 PM
I only have invites to what and waffles. It's harder to maintain a ratio on movie tracker.

If you ever get an invite to Karagarga let me know, I can trade for a Cinematik invite. Also, if you could check out if they have that movie I wrote about i'd really appreciate it.

Stefen

Sorry, pas. No dice on your movie.

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on May 07, 2010, 06:42:20 PM
Sorry, pas. No dice on your movie.

Damn! I'm giving up hope then, it's nowhere.

Thanks for checking.