How Does PTA Pay The Bills?

Started by modage, December 03, 2009, 09:51:50 PM

polkablues

Quote from: cine on December 04, 2009, 12:49:40 PM
lets put all number-crunching aside and remind ourselves where he lives.

Two front doors??? How can he afford that?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

Clearly that's two houses, PBH lives next door.

They share the roof to make barbeques and shit.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

How do you know this is place? Are you sure, it's a bit small for a hollywood director's house no? Maybe he doesn't make as much money as I thought after all... dunno... wow I feel pretty embarassed by my earlier posts now lol  :oops:

But on a sidenote, I kinda like it.  A bit desolate, perhaps, but necessary from a writer's standpoint.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

hahaha "oh, no" you!

Quote from: Pas Rap on December 04, 2009, 01:59:52 PM
I kinda like it.  A bit desolate, perhaps, but necessary from a writer's standpoint.

Quote from: coffeebeetle on May 13, 2004, 09:02:44 PM
I kinda like it.  A bit desolate, perhaps, but necessary from a writer's standpoint.

Stefen

Pubrick

anyway, pas is totally on the money, as it were. he's right about those very conservative figures. the question is a bit ridiculous because it's based on bizarre definitions of what it means "to make ends meet." Modage is mistaken to think that fincher and jonze do commercials or additional work because they are destitute -- but pas already covered this, i mean really, to summarize (i know i've been doing this a lot lately):

-pta probably makes millions every few years just from salary/cut of the profits.

-investments, this means property, stock, whatever. this is so commonplace that some rappers (mos def, the heiroglyphics crew) rap about making money from savings and wise investments. i mean this is just common sense if you ever get a million bucks, you don't just fucking spend it all! just watch the end of The Jerk.

-there's no reason to believe pta has a crazy nicolas cage-style castle-buying habit. he has FRIENDS like that, but that doesn't mean he needs to flaunt that much money just to hang out with them. modage must be thinking he's living the Diddy lifestyle. and besides, the reason any stupid moneybags would want to hang with him is cos they want to be part of his amazing work, not because they make lots of money: see kubrick.

in conclusion there is just no reasonable basis for belief that he is somehow running out of money. this question is more appropriate for ppl like Troy Duffy, or better yet Tony Kaye--- HE makes commercials and things to make ends meet, he has filed for bankrupcy twice, his movies make no money, he is erratic and a nutcase -- but even then he was best friends with brando. so what does money hav to do with it? after a few million if you're smart you can ride that shit out your whole life.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Seriously, once you start cracking that million dollar mark, you barely even need to invest to live indefinitely off of it.  Say, for the sake of easy math, he gets two million dollars from writing/directing TWBB.  He puts it in a money market savings account with a 2% annual interest rate, and just like that, he's generating $40,000 each year without lifting a finger and without touching that original two million.  If he's been a good saver, and has built up five million or so in salary over his career, that's $100,000 to live off of in interest alone.  And obviously there are plenty of ways to invest that money that would yield higher returns than that, so it's not unreasonable to think he could be pulling down a few hundred grand each year regardless of whether he ever works again or not.

MacGuffin

I heard during the production of TWBB PTA actually struck oil.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Bethie

and we just had another baby

QuoteThough her second baby was born on November 6th, Maya Rudolph and hubby Paul Thomas Anderson have just publicly announced today the birth of their daughter, Lucille.

Lucille joins big sis, 4-year-old Pearl

who likes movies anyway

Stefen

polkablues

Two children??? How can he afford that?

Ravi