benji hughes

Started by Jeremy Blackman, October 18, 2008, 02:15:38 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Benji Hughes - A Love Extreme

This is a pretty great album. Double album, actually. I think the key to these songs is getting Benji's sense of humor. It's ironic in a self-effacing way, but it's totally sincere at the same time. The lyrics are frequently stunning, actually. He said in an interview that he stopped writing down ideas for lyrics... that if he can't remember a line, it's not worth it. The lyrics aren't even strange, really... just often baffling for their perfect simplicity.

The double album thing is kind of a joke. It goes with his ironic self-aggrandizement. (Seriously, look at the album cover.) Two discs are certainly not necessary (which is an observation more than a criticism). There are many songs, but they're short, and some are extremely short. Some trimming could be done. But really, the fact that at least 20 of the 25 tracks are either very strong or simply mindblowing is something to admire.

The music is lovingly derivative but completely fresh at the same time. In fact, I can't believe none of these songs (from what I know) are on mainstream radio. It's very catchy. I love the production, too, which is playful, sharp, and occasionally psychedelic.

favorites
Girl in the Tower
Neighbor Down the Hall
Why Do These Parties Always End the Same Way?
I Went With Some Friends to See the Flaming Lips

squints

i can't stop listening to this guy. Thanks jb. I listened to him so much on last.fm that they cut me off. This is just a fun record all around. Now i just need to find a copy of the whole album.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche