Matchstick Men

Started by filmcritic, September 13, 2003, 12:40:50 AM

modage

this movie broke my heart.  broke it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Does anybody know the song that is played in some of the trailers? I'm almost sure that it's an 80's song, it sounds like a single guitar or bass.

Mac? anyone?

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffin*SPOILERS*

Just thought of something. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the beginning, Roy knocks over his bottle of pills and needs to find his shrink to get more, right? How would Rockwell's character have known this was going to happen? The whole con depended on Cage going to this new shrink recommended by Rockwell since it played into the whole finding the daughter, etc. And while I could believe Roy would have fallen for the rest, it seems like a big gaping plot hole that the pill spill could have been calculated into the con.

yeah, YES, yeah.
FINALLY saw this for a buck (godbless the new dollar theater by my house). And I don't care how many times it's been said: THE ENDING DESTROYED THIS MOVIE. Cage was great, man. All three of them were really good, but Cage (along with the story) kept me so entertained and then...BLEH.
Tell me your much more creative mind wasn't thinking of a better way to go with that story.
But Macguffins above statement is the exact thought I was left with and trying to explain to the people I went with. He wanted and would have nothing to do with another shrink, but by a miracle he lost his pills. They should've had him just run out of pills so he calls his shrink and then he finds out he mysteriously died or was just missing or something, then later reveal that it was apart of Rockwell's plan.
But that still wouldn't change the fact of the ending SUCKING!

modage

looks like we have a snapper...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

It boggles the mind why they do this.  These cases suck.  Anyone know what they're thinking when they opt for this style case?

modage

cause they're real real cheap.  same reason some movies come without inserts i guess.

Pubrick

man, i feel like sumone just cheated on me.

a question for the sick puppies who bought this HIDEOUS BITCH GODDESS of a movie on dvd, how can u watch it again? how can u look it in the eye without wanting to throw up?

endings are the most important things, and man, this has got to be....... .......... .................. there should be a support group for victims of abusive movies.

i wonder if alison lohman's hotness can redeem this in (reluctant) future viewings, i seriously doubt it.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: themodernage02this movie broke my heart.  broke it.

i know how you feel P.  

HUGE SPOILERS

i thought when i walked out of that movie that i'd never be able to watch it again.  to know that the sweet father daughter relationship, which i thought was the whole crux of the film, was only a con!!!  it totally broke my heart.  i could hardly look at her at the end of the film.  even though they tried to end it happily, i didnt see it that way at all.  however with a few months between me and the initial heartbreak i do feel like i will be picking up this film when i can get it for 10$ at my video store.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02HUGE SPOILERS

however with a few months between me and the initial heartbreak i do feel like i will be picking up this film when i can get it for 10$ at my video store.
i hope that's just out of Macophilia (uncontrollable urge to collect every dvd), cos right now i cannot imagine anyone ever watching this again. hence my question to those who will/hav..

the cast, original story, everything was so perfect. i thought i was witnessing a new likeable side of ridley scott. god, what a jerk.

oh well.
under the paving stones.

Kal

SPOILERS

The movie was excellent until the end... I was very dissapointed with the end, because not only they fucked him but then she walks in and sees him as a carpet salesman and they act like everything is cool between them... they pretend to be father and daughter again... and it really doesnt make any sense... Cage's character loses personality and everything that had special during the film... he should have freaked out when he saw her again... or I dont know... he cant end up being a damn carpet salesman after all he experienced in his life and everything that happened...

How the fuck can he afford to continue to live in that house and have a wife and a child anyways working as a carpet salesman and marrying the supermarkets cashier?  :!:

btw during the movie I was already thinking "fuck what a great movie i have to buy this dvd right away"... and now i seriously wouldnt... i cant watch it again... it pisses me off from the start...

admin's note.. please use the edit button

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubricki thought i was witnessing a new likeable side of ridley scott. god, what a jerk.

oh well.

It's not entirely Ridley's fault. According to the commentary track, the writers felt the same way after reading the book, and wrote their draft of the script without the twist. It was Robert Zemeckis (who left the project to do Polar Express) who told them to stay to the novel.

*MINOR SPOILERS*

In the documentary, there was actually a lot more indications to the con in the first cut of the film (exchanged glances and characters smiling to themselves) but they felt it was too on the nose.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinIt's not entirely Ridley's fault. According to the commentary track, the writers felt the same way after reading the book, and wrote their draft of the script without the twist. It was Robert Zemeckis (who left the project to do Polar Express) who told them to stay to the novel.

*MINOR SPOILERS*

In the documentary, there was actually a lot more indications to the con in the first cut of the film (exchanged glances and characters smiling to themselves) but they felt it was too on the nose.
oh. cool, that changes things slightly. i guess i'll check out those two features then..
under the paving stones.

cine

I don't know if I could actually see this film again and enjoy it like I did before. The first time I was immersed in the film's energy, but this time, I don't think I would care as much. The performances would be worth watching again though. Cage's performance was worth an Oscar nod before something like Penn's I Am Sam performance anyday.

Oh, and another thing. This is WAY better than 21 Grams. How do you like that, Neon?

modage

really cool/quirky editing in this.  and yes, a little macophilia but also because i'm a sucker for the CAGE.

El Duderino

i liked the directing a lot. nic cage was great, sam rockwell was good, and alison lohman was good too. i agree, the editing was damn good
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?