The Exorcist - appreciation thread

Started by filmcritic, July 10, 2003, 05:11:26 PM

Find Your Magali

Quote from: bonanzatazyeah, because auto focus was sooooo fucking good...  :roll:

Exactly. That movie was an embarrassment.

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazauto focus was sooooo fucking good...  

Yes. Yes, it was. I'd call it mostly brilliant, actually. One of my favorites of last year.

godardian countenance no sarcasm
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: bonanzatazyeah, because auto focus was sooooo fucking good...  :roll:

Exactly. That movie was an embarrassment.

I honestly can't believe we're talking about the same movie. It at least stands with Affliction in Schrader's body of work...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Latest on the new "Exorcist"

With Paul Schraeder off, and massive reshoots under the direction of Renny Harlin soon to get underway - people are beginning to wonder what will happen with this project. 'Warner Sister' has left the water tower to fill us in on the project's current status:

"Shooting starts December 8th at Cinecitta Studios in Rome. Vittorio Storaro is shooting, Mark Goldblatt is editing, and Skip Woods ("Swordfish") is doing substantial amounts of re-writing to deliver a dilm going deep into the mythology behind the first and original "Exorcist".

The locals are describing it as a character study with very scary under currents. It doesn't rely on gore per se, but it will introduce several never before seen set pieces. The scale of the shoot has grown significantly, and looks now like it'll be at least six weeks with just a very small amount of the original movie ending up being used. Big sets have been erected at Cine Citta in preparation, and casting for new roles is on going in several countries apparently".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

how many horsemen of the apocalypse do we need?

i stopped counting at around 558..
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

The Facts on the "Exorcist" Prequel
Source: Dark Horizons

Despite attempts to quell them, the rumours persist and keep growing on decisions made for the currently filming reshoots of the "Exorcist" prequel. Now Captain Howdy, one of the foremost Exorcist dedicated sites out there and run by an interesting Aussie bloke I met last year, has done an extensive article in an effort to try and clear up the speculation by sorting out what's real and what's conjecture for now:

"First of all, the bare facts directly from Morgan Creek:

· Re-shoots have resumed after the Christmas break and will wrap in mid-February (close to when principal photography finished last year).

· All re-shoots are happening in Rome at Cinecitta studios, where the second half of principal photography occurred.

· Approximately 90% of the prequel is being re-shot.

Take the above dot-points as you will, but they are facts.  Morgan Creek also CONFIRMED that James D'Arcy and Izabella Scorupco have indeed joined the project. HOWEVER, close sources mentioned some internet reports are incorrectly claiming that these actors have come on board to replace previous actors who filmed principal photography with original director Paul Schrader.  This is not true.

James D'Arcy is playing Father Francis under Renny Harlin's direcion after Gabriel Mann already portrayed the role for Paul Schrader.  The reason for this re-cast is simply that Gabriel Mann COULD NOT RETURN TO THE PROJECT due to other commitments, forcing Morgan Creek to re-cast and release Mann.

Internet reports are also falsely claiming that Izabella Scorupco has REPLACED Clara Bellar as Rachel.  This is not true.  The character of Rachel in Exorcist: The Beginning has been completely removed from the project and Izabella Scorupco's role is in no way a 'replacement' capacity, Clara Bellar's character has simply been 'written out'.  Does this mean no more love interest for Father Merrin?

Pop singer Billy Crawford's performance has also (supposedly) been written out of the project. Stellan Skarsgard has stayed on as Father Merrin and will complete the re-shoots, as expected.

Contrary to imdb.com stating that Alexi Hawley alone has 'tooled' Caleb Carr's script, Caleb Carr will still be credited as the writer, along with William Wisher for the original screenplay.  Apparently, MANY writers were involved in looking over the screenplay and making adjustments to best improve on it from Schrader's cut (hence 90% being re-shot), and Alexi was just one of them.

I tried to get comment from Morgan Creek on all of this information, but - due to contractual obligations - (you guessed it) they could not comment. They DID confirm that James D'Arcy and Izabella Scorupco are attached and that shooting is happening in Rome, to be completed in mid-February and release to happen 'later in 2004', but could not comment any further".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

yeah, but i want to know one thing...

why renny harlin of all directors on this god for saken planet? i feel sick.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

oakmanc234

Renny Harlin. Thats funny. They chuck out a good writer/director (though I didnt think too much of 'Auto Focus', I enjoyed it but it was pretty average) for an 'action director' gun for hire. Its pretty embarrassing. Schraeder was obviously making the film that audiences didnt want (probably a great one), so they bring in the action dude to 'splatter' it up. To tell you the truth I wasnt really getting excited about the slow, dialogue smothered drama with a touch of horror that I predict Schraeder wouldve made but I sure as shit wasnt anticipating a Renny Harlin flick either....
His involvement has pretty much guaranteed that the new 'Exorcist' will be just another horror flick to add to the pile and not the great picture we were all wishing for deep inside......
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Harlin's Exorcist Won't Include Schrader's Footage
Source: Variety

Variety reports that Renny Harlin's reshoot of Exorcist: The Beginning wrapped filming February 22 after 13 weeks on Rome's Cinecitta Studios backlot, where word is that not a single frame of the footage shot by Paul Schrader will be included in the bedeviled prequel's new cut.

Harlin's 13-week effort equals the amount of time spent by Schrader on his original shoot. Schrader dropped out of the Morgan Creek production last year due to creative differences. Still, his name is reportedly meant to stay on the film.

Originally budgeted at $25 million, the antecedent to the 1973 horror classic is now jokingly being referred to in Rome as "the sequel to the prequel."

Three original key cast members - Clara Bellar, Gabriel Mann and pop star Billy Crawford - are not likely to appear in the final version, since they didn't return for reshooting. A new writer, Alexi Hawley, was brought in to rewrite the William Wisher and Caleb Carr script, and a new editor is working only with Harlin's material for the recut.

Exorcist: The Beginning, which is scheduled for release via Warner Bros. this year, recounts the tale of Father Merrin's journey as a young missionary priest to post-WWII Africa, which led to his first encounter with demonic forces. The young Merrin is played by Stellan Skarsgard who, after working with Schrader, returned to Cinecitta to reshoot with Harlin.

While Schrader's footage is thought to have been considered too tame, the new footage is said to generously feature revolving eyeballs, spinning heads and loads of projectile vomit.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinHarlin's Exorcist Won't Include Schrader's Footage
haha, WOW.  now thats gonna be a neat 'special feature' on the DVD.  haha, "Featuring deleted scenes and WHOLE OTHER MOVIE!"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: MacGuffinHarlin's Exorcist Won't Include Schrader's Footage
haha, WOW.  now thats gonna be a neat 'special feature' on the DVD.  haha, "Featuring deleted scenes and WHOLE OTHER MOVIE!"

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Warner should run an AOL "Choose the sequel" poll.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: MacGuffinSource: Variety

...While Schrader's footage is thought to have been considered too tame, the new footage is said to generously feature revolving eyeballs, spinning heads and loads of projectile vomit.

Revolving eyeballs?

I don't even know what that means....

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Find Your MagaliRevolving eyeballs?

I don't even know what that means....

It means that this movie is going to be a crude rehash of the original.