Mr. Pink

Started by (kelvin), November 13, 2003, 01:44:24 PM

Finn

I felt the same way when I watched it on DVD. I saw it on VHS a couple of years before I bought the DVD and I wasn't really impressed with it. Now that I've seen it more than once, I appreciate it more and I really love it.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

El Duderino

i have a question.......how come they dont do a prolouge on Mr. Pink. there's one for Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde, and Mr. White, i understand why not Mr. Blue because he's only in the breakfast scene and the credits, but i never understood why QT left out Mr. Pink, anyone know?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Banky

Quote from: coffeebeetle
Quote from: chriskelvin
Quote from: SoNowThenEveryone's kinda gotta get caught or killed...

rules of the genre

Those may apply to Kubrick's The Killing, but not to Reservoir Dogs, I'd say. Whatever, the myth is destroyed. I mean, I really sort of liked Mr. Pink. He just seemed too smart to get caught. Whatever.

Hey man, look at it this way: if you didn't hear it or see it, it didn't happen.  Feel better now? I know I do.  :)

VERONICA
      The ostrich syndrome: if you don't
      see it...

DANTE
      ...it isn't there. Yes.

El Duderino

Quote from: El Duderinoi have a question.......how come they dont do a prolouge on Mr. Pink. there's one for Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde, and Mr. White, i understand why not Mr. Blue because he's only in the breakfast scene and the credits, but i never understood why QT left out Mr. Pink, anyone know?

no one?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Alethia

because there was no reason to

mr. white had a backstory to show the relationship he had with joe cabbot, thus making the ending stand off more meaningful and bla bla bla

mr. blonde to show his relationship with the cabbots as well, and to show he had done 4 years bla bla bla

and mr. orange so we'd know how he got into the situation being a cop and whatnot bla bla bla

no real purpose for a mr. pink backstory

Mesh

Quote from: kelvin
Quote from: SoNowThenyes, Pink is caught outside by the cops.

they're yelling orders at him, and he screams "okay, just don't shoot".

but hey, he's the only one to survive, so that in itself is an accomplishment.

My life will never be the same again...

What is Tarantino's point? Why let Mr. Pink be arrested if hardly anyone notices it?

Fits with Mr. Pink's profile and gives him his just desserts.  You have to remember: Mr. Pink thinks he's the exception to every rule.  He won't tip waitresses without stating how he's morally opposed to it; he whines about it when Joe assigns him the name "Mr. Pink"; he thinks he's the only one "acting like a professional, here!"  A guy like that would hate to have to submit to the rule of law in this diamond heist's aftermath, and Tarantino shits on him by (one might assume) having him end up in jail.  Sure, everybody else dies, but Mr. Pink ends up having to pay the long-term price for everyone else's fuck-ups.  It's a perfect ending to his story.

LostEraser

Also, Tarantino has said that he originally wrote the character of Mr. Pink for himself to play. So maybe he thought it would be cool if his own character is the only one who survives so he could pop up in his other movies. Hell, maybe the original idea was to actually have Mr. Pink get away with the diamonds after all. But then after Tarantino decided not to play him himself, he decided to have him end up in jail. lol! Who knows. Just food for thought, I guess.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra