GUMMO

Started by Rudie Obias, November 22, 2003, 04:03:28 PM

Rudie Obias

c'mon.  let's hear it....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

aclockworkjj

I compare this movie to KIDS almost...in a weird sorta way.  know what I mean?

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: rudieobc'mon.  let's hear it....
....So you can tell us we're wrong and ignore points made by others because your opinion is the 'right' one?

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
....So you can tell us we're wrong and ignore points made by others because your opinion is the 'right' one?

i'm glad you finally figured that out!  viva la GUMMO!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

NEON MERCURY

::speaks like a 4th grader w/ a ugly birth mark on his face::

.gummo is dummo.......... :yabbse-grin:

cine

Quote from: NEON MERCURY::speaks like a 4th grader w/ a ugly birth mark on his face::
So, are you speaking autobiographically or what......

:wink:

soixante

Gummo is a better date movie than Sleepless in Seattle.
Music is your best entertainment value.

cine

Gummo ages better than Citizen Kane.

Ghostboy

Quote from: CinephileGummo ages better than Citizen Kane.

Actually, it does! On a certain scale. When I first watched Citizen Kane, I thought it was brilliant. As I continue watching it, it's still brilliant. The first time I watched Gummo, however, I didn't like it -- the second and third time, my opinion increased exponentially. So if you charted these responses on a graph, the degree of Gummo's curve would be far steeper than that of Citizen Kane's rather median line.

analogzombie

The thing that struck me abouyt Gummo is how real it is. I mean, on one level it's totally exploitatice and artificial but it's real too. Like when Chloe and the other girls are jumping on the bed scene, yep, that's real. The bugs crawling from behind the picture, yeah that's real. When i was a kid my grandmother's house was in a seedy lower class white neighborhood, (old people never move even after the neighborhood goes). I had a couple friends I would play with when i went to visit. That stuff you see in Gummo, that is real. There are people who are really like that, that live like that. I must sound snobbish, but that is what hit me when I watched the movie, how close it hits.

then there is the artifical side. The scene of the kid in the bath for example is just a total Korine gross-out. and it's so obvious as to who are actors and who are not. You can tell Korine placed some of his friends in situations with the real people just to egg them on for the camera. (The chair wrestling scene, for example.) then there is the Korine/Dwarf come on scene that is so obviously in poor taste its not even funny.

Korine definately comes off as a huckster who is exploiting his subjects. And its also clear that for Korine, the experience was just a trip to a zoo type of thing, a way for him to be edgy and controversial. Korine never seems to really 'get' or understand the dubject matter, the heart, of Gummo. But nevertheless he has somehow captured a very realistic (in parts) snapshot of the lives of disenfranchised, ignorant white trash. for that i like the film. perhaps Gummo only fails b/c Korine was never really willing to fully accept his subject material. He seems to keep that world always at arm's length by including ironic visual commentary on the world he fiulms instead of delving into it. in the end that's probably b/c that world is so distrubing, and Korine, for all his indie cred, is just a New York art snob who is donning the mantle of Low Class White American Auteur. If it wasn't for Chloe Sevigny's performance the film would be almost unwatchable.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Thecowgoooesmooo

Im a fan of Gummo...

Am I the only one who was moved by the movie? I really was, out of all movies, I actually shed a tear at the end of this one.

chris

analogzombie

I don't know if I would say that I was moved by the film. but I really like it, and think there is more to it than most people give it credit for.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Xixax

I love watching Harmony's work the way I love watching "Cops". It's day-in-the-life stuff of people I wouldn't want my kids to hang out with.

Gummo es Primo!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Finn

I've never seen it but I'd like to.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."