Looper

Started by MacGuffin, April 12, 2012, 08:19:21 PM

Kal

Very stylish and well directed, but overall disappointing.

I really liked the time travel related elements of it.

SPOILERS

I feel like the rainmaker storyline came out of nowhere and made little sense... until then, all the people with tk abilities seemed useless... perhaps if they had introduced the rainmaker as an adult, even for a second, or showed a little bit more about his control beyond the fact that he killed his wife, that would make more sense. Otherwise its like this suddenly became Terminator.

Reel

Sorry guys, I couldn't help myself.

Bret Easton Ellis
Am I completely in the minority having just walked out of Rian Johnson's "Looper" or did people actually like this movie?

Rian Johnson
@BretEastonEllis Believe me Bret, I'm with you on this.

haha, what do you think Johnson is implying? Sorry I couldn't make them look like tweets. I'm a dud.

No word from Polka on this yet? that's not good.

Pwaybloe

I'm sure Johnson is joking, but it's nice to see that someone is making fun of BEE's unfiltered, asinine comments he enjoys making. 

Kellen

So I take it that Ellis is just trying to be the Armond White/Skip Bayless figure of the twitter world now a days.

Thought Looper was a fun film, and I'm not sure why but I surprised be the amount of violence in it.  I guess all this time that I didn't realize the film had an R rating.

polkablues

Just saw it. There was not a disappointing frame in that movie.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jonas

Overall it was very enjoyable. I had a couple of guesses throughout on how I though it would end, and I was happy that it wasn't what I had guessed.

The film had a bit more dramatic moments than expected as well, which is always welcome in an action/sci-fi movie.

**SPOILERS**
I liked the sequence with Paul Dano's older-self looper and how they dealt with it. I also thought we'd see the young version of Jeff Daniels' character (Abe), who must obviously be alive somewhere if his future self is (I read on other boards that they thought the Kid Blue character would turn out to be young Abe, glad that didn't happen).
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Reel

Kellen

ALL SPOILERS, ALL THE TIME. DO NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE.

polkablues

Needed a spoiler warning, but that was a great watch. Whatever they may think of the movie, nobody can reasonably accuse Johnson of not having thought through his story.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Rian Johnson's In-Theater Commentary Track for Looper.

Interesting idea. A commentary track you listen to in the theater. Of course he says not to listen to it before you see the movie or during the first time you see it.

I have seen it twice. I might need to see it a third time now.

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 05, 2012, 04:44:35 PM
Rian Johnson's In-Theater Commentary Track for Looper.

Interesting idea. A commentary track you listen to in the theater. Of course he says not to listen to it before you see the movie or during the first time you see it.

I have seen it twice. I might need to see it a third time now.
Really interesting idea. I've got to hand it to him, he really seems to care about his fanbase. I'll probably wait till the Bluray to do this though. Thanks for the link RegularKarate

Cloudy

I met him after a Q & A after an early Looper screening. Really, really approachable guy. We were talking about The Master and he couldn't stop raving about it.

Looper was awesome! Solid film.

socketlevel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 12, 2012, 11:46:07 PM
Rian Johnson did direct the only bad Breaking Bad episode, but this still looks good.

We need a thread about the best time travel movies.

Alright I just started one: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=12163.0

I really loved his episode, it was like a play. I assume you're talking about "fly", since he has done another episode in this last season.

I just saw this tonight, I liked it but didn't love it. Paul Dano is horrible, his reaction to the knock at the door made the entire packed theatre laugh, and not in a good way. Still think brothers bloom was a better film but id recommend it to people.
the one last hit that spent you...

HeywoodRFloyd

About Paul Dano's yelp, same unanimous reaction by the audience at my screening.

That whole scene was a bit mishandled, from him knocking on the window till the end.

Pubrick

sounds like the worst movie ever made.

i can't stand when people don't react naturally to knocks.

especially in rian johnson movies, which always suck.
under the paving stones.