Try some new music. . .

Started by bigperm, August 11, 2004, 09:08:54 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I don't know how "rare" or "new" these bands are, I've just been jammign to them lately, and not so many people around me know who they are...

Califone - Heron King Blues

Matt Pond PA - Emblems

Murder By Death - Like The Exorcist, But More Breakdancing
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Two Lane Blacktop

What's Califone sound like?  That cover image is gorgeous.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Two Lane BlacktopWhat's Califone sound like?  That cover image is gorgeous.  

2LB

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6927

The story behind their album is worth reading alone.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: Walrus the Pretentious
Quote from: Two Lane BlacktopWhat's Califone sound like?  That cover image is gorgeous.  

2LB

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6927

The story behind their album is worth reading alone.

Holy crap...  I'm sold!   :laughing:   I gotta hear that.

2LB
Body by Guinness

Sleuth

Quote from: Two Lane Blacktop
Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.I'm not a fan, but I have a friend who adores Sufjan Stevens.

SO DO I.   :yabbse-thumbup:

"A Sun Came" is actually an older one of his (maybe his first?).  I'd recommend "Greetings From Michigan" to someone checking his music out for the first time, and last year's "Seven Swans" is utterly amazing.

Here's a cool interview with him from 2004:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/interviews/s/stevens_sufjan-04/

2LB

Yes, that version of A Sun Came is the reissue of his first CD (it kind of sucks).  Then he did a pretty cool electronic kind of album called Enjoy Your Rabbit, then the grandiose and excellent Michigan, and then Seven Swans which was a way more low key version of what he did last.
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Quote from: bigpermHere's some off-beat new musical releases some of you folks might enjoy.

God bless you for starting this thread. I love The Album Leaf. This has changed my perspective on music.
WWPTAD?

cine

people around here listen to some really big albums..

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: cinephilepeople around here listen to some really big albums..

It's all the covers... we're all still using casettes...

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: Sleuth
Yes, that version of A Sun Came is the reissue of his first CD {etc}

I should've known a man with your good taste would be a Sufjan Stevens fan.   :-D   I've heard his first two albums described much as you describe them...  "Michigan" and "Swans" are among my favorites, but I probably won't go back and hear the older ones.  I can't wait to hear what he does next, though.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

bigperm

It's rumored he seriously has planned an album for every state, Illinois should be next, out this year.  We shall see.

I have his christmas stuff, which is great as well.

P.S.

On the female vibe, some of you digging Joanna Newsom, or even Mirah, may enjoy this:

Feist "Let It Die"

not promising anything, but worth a look IMO.

And any indie rockers, seek out Ulysses "010" quickly becoming addicting.

And any rap folks out there, please hear the Rob Sonic album "telicatessen" and go back and seek out the Non-Prophets "Hope"- just two great rap/hip-hop albums, we gots to spread the wealth. And on the same label as Non- Prophets "lex Records" check out SUBTLE "a new white" you may be surprised.

If there are any Manitoba fans floating around, just a reminder, they are now called Caribou, the new album is "the Milk of Human Kindness" between that and the new M83 "Before the Dawn HEals us" I'm satisfying my Blade runner vibes for a taste fo the future.  go check it out.
Safe As Milk

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: bigpermIt's rumored he seriously has planned an album for every state, Illinois should be next, out this year.  We shall see.

I have his christmas stuff, which is great as well.

Is he really going through with another "state" album?  That should be very interesting, esp. once he gets beyond the states he actually knows very well.

I've heard a couple of his Xmas songs and they're terrific!  Where did you find those?  

2LB
Body by Guinness