phish

Started by Sanjuro, October 11, 2003, 10:59:01 AM

godardian

Quote from: Newtron
Quote from: tremoloslothWhat's your deal with "pop music" anyway?  
He's gay.

Does that mean Phish is a "straight thing," then?

I like my explanation better, both of what pop music is and what Phish is. I'd hate to begrudge straight people the opportunity to be moved and compelled by a really good record... and I know some who have excellent taste in music, and whose revulsion toward the wearying noodling of pointless jam-bands well surpasses my own.

Straight or gay, Phish is a terrible band that makes terrible records. Their songs would be so bad they're funny, except those are some loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong, creaky jokes...   :? '

I can't stand the Grateful Dead, either. If you don't have anything interesting or relevant to say, why take 20 minutes per song to say it?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

I guess I can see where you are coming from....their lyrics are goofy, goofy, goofy....I don't know if I would consider them pop though still....

I like a lot though...sure, it makes littel sense, but I don't find it too "poppy"...

Quote from: NewtronHe's gay.
was that necessary?

Ghostboy

I don't like Phish either, and while I agree for the most part with Godardian's assesment, I will admit that it can be fun to listen to really talented musicians riff off each other. Good jazz is a better example, but jam bands work on the same principal, to an extent. From a technical POV, you don't have toe be on drugs to enjoy them. Not that I DO enjoy them, because they sorta annoy me.

I do, however, enjoy Tortoise.

Sleuth

I've never even heard Phish

well, I saw them on SNL, but I don't remember it (no I wasn't high trying to enjoy phish haw haw)

But I was just taking the opportunity to understand Godardian's point of view..of which I disagree
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

Godardian is correct to an extent. Pop music, short for popular, encompasses everything that captures the affection of the public. But it's also a genre unto itself. Plenty of music majors have probably studied the trends and could analyze it far better than I, but there's just something about music that classifies it as pop. It doesn't necessarily mean shallow, it's simply in the sound. A given pop song can then be broken down by its various influences, resulting in all those sub-genres.

If we take the literal definition of pop music to heart, what happens when pop music isn't popular anymore? Do The Who go back to simply being Rock? What do you call Britney Spears' music?Dance/electronica/virginal/erotica?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: tremoloslothI've never even heard Phish
start with Gamehendge....

TheVoiceOfNick

I've never heard Phish, don't like Fish, but love the Ben and Jerry's flavor Phish Food (based on the band)...

Nick

bonanzataz

Quote from: godardianI can't stand the Grateful Dead, either.

and you were REALLY becoming one of my favorite members of the board.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: godardianI can't stand the Grateful Dead, either.

and you were REALLY becoming one of my favorite members of the board.

:cry:

...you a Deadhead?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

bonanzataz

proud of it. i would start a thread about it, but i just feel like it's pointless to talk about why you love the music you love. it either clicks or it doesn't. for me, they click in a BIG way. the dead can usually wrap their songs up when they're needed to, unlike phish who keep the jams going FOREVER. the only thing i don't like about the dead are those elongated drum solos. same for both of my parents who say that's when they would go to the bathroom.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

aclockworkjj

Quote from: bonanzatazunlike phish who keep the jams going FOREVER.

apparently you haven't heard sume versions of Dark Star, Space, or the Cryptical Envelopment-->drums-->Cryptical-->The Other One...or Help-->Slip-->Frank.....etc., etc....

ps. The Dead w/ Pigpen was the best...

bonanzataz

well apparently, you didn't read what i said. i said they wrap it up when they need to. their jams have purpose and emotion (which is what godardian complained about, phish having no emotion) and aren't about being technically awesome (which they are). i can listen to a dark star jam all the way through and not get sick of it (though, and i know a really good deadhead wouldn't say this, but i prefer the concise, to the point tracks on their studio albums).

aclockworkjj

Quote from: bonanzataz(though, and i know a really good deadhead wouldn't say this, but i prefer the concise, to the point tracks on their studio albums).
oh no...I don't believe...kinda makes an opinion lose it's otherwise ooommmpff.

Just giving ya shit...

is a perfect example of something that shoulda only been played live...the only tune I can possibly think of that I would rather hear the studio version...is Shakedown St.  

However: I will completly agree if you perfer the studio stuff cause of quality, nothing pisses me off more than a shitty sounding show.

Witkacy

Although I scrolled quickly through most of it... why would anybody spend time writing about Phish.... I live way too close to Vermont and the whole hippie shit thing.  If you're a fan... you're just looking for other fans.

RegularKarate

Phish is really a phucking boring band.  The term "Jam band" makes me want to vomit.

I saw too many of my good friends turn into phucking hippies after highschool to even remotely enjoy Phish.

Gratefull Dead is certainly not my thing.  Sad thing about the Dead is that thier best songs are the short and sweet radio songs.  If you write a thousand songs, I guess a few are gonna end up sounding good and the rest is just filler for the million stoners out there.

As far as Pop goes, I can see what Godardian's saying, but he's taking it too far.  Pop is Top 40.  The basic key to being a pop band is having a video on MTV (if you're post 70s that is).  I don't think Phish has any videos on MTV, but I don't know... they certainly don't cry Pop.  They do make me sleepy though.