favorite beck album? (official beck thread)

Started by Rudie Obias, January 22, 2004, 10:33:53 PM

tpfkabi

Quote from: Alexandro on April 15, 2009, 05:12:12 PM
it's a nice little album which feels like camping out in the forest. very low key and kind of surreal. it reminds me of simpler times.

it has some nice tunes, especially when he doubletracks his vocals like he does a lot more now.

the early version of It's All In Your Mind is interesting.

i saw Stereopathetic Soul Manure on vinyl for $7.99 yesterday.
i remember listening to my roommate's copy and it was just pretty weird. lots of just noise tracks and maybe a handful of 'song' songs as far as i recall.

i'd probably buy deluxe editions of SSM and Mellow Gold since i like Beck even if just for curiosity's sake.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Don't overlook Stereopathic Soul Manure, it definitely has its own time and place.  In fact, the time and place aren't important, you just need to be drunk and lost.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

http://www.beck.com/

he's got the first track of his Record Club/VU thing up.

who is the blonde woman?
i'm pretty sure it's the same one in all his latest videos that i've wondered about.

tpfkabi

i can't believe the Beck produced Charlotte Gainsburg(sp?) album, IRM, hasn't been brought up - with the added actress thing attached to it.

it tells me Beck needs to produce his own records - i never quite liked Danger MOuse's production on Modern Guilt.

i kinda wish Beck would do his American version of IRM called....MRI, with him taking all the leads and maybe having different songs in place of the French language songs.

i bought it through Newbury Comics, at the time you could get it with Charlotte's autograph for no extra change and cheaper than Amazon.

Reel

I saw him playing in the SNL band tonight. Why is he doing that? Hope to see more of him later...

tpfkabi

Quote from: Gistofit on April 10, 2010, 10:42:59 PM
I saw him playing in the SNL band tonight. Why is he doing that? Hope to see more of him later...

I totally missed that. There is a guy who has been there a while that kinda resembles Beck. Beck's hair is cut short again I believe, not long like around Modern Guilt era pictures.

Reel

So lets talk about Beck. My favorite album is Sea Change because it hit me at a time in high school when I just felt totally useless and didn't know what to do with myself when I woke up in the morning. So I listened to that and it jibed with my state of mind so easily I thought Hey maybe you could be a musician and write these kinda songs to show people whats really going on in your head. At that point I didn't care at all about anything I had previously wanted to do with myself like go into movies or whatever. It was like Beck's Sea Change just gave me this boost right when I needed it.

Gold Trumpet

Yes, Sea Change is my favorite album of his. After listening to the album for a few years, I noticed three titles on the album were also titles from my favorite jazz musician, Dave Douglas. They weren't remakes of his pieces, but it seems like Beck was influenced by the moods Douglas set in his music. He's not a traditional jazz musician in that he piggy backs off old styles and structures, but he blends everything together until it fits a specific mood. His music is atmospheric and reminds me of something a film score could be. Beck specifically takes names from moodier pieces of Douglas' and seems to be influenced to create a larger feeling to his album. It's why Thrindle's mom caught me listening to the album once and asked me why I liked overblown elevator music, haha.

Robyn

Love Mutations, and haven't listened to his other stuff so much. Sea Change was interesting and I'll give it a second chance when I'm more focused. I seriously didn't liked Odelay at all. Anyway, which albums should I listen to now for similar stuff to Mutations?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

For starters, give Sea Change another listen immediately.

I'm not sure what didn't work for you about Odelay, but the thing about Beck is that he's all over the place.  My personal favorite has become Stereopathetic Soul Manure, so I'd recommend that one... Midnite Vultures is also a lot of fun and simultaneously incredible.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on May 03, 2010, 01:24:37 PM
Quote from: KarlJan on April 24, 2010, 07:50:36 PM
which album should I listen to now for similar stuff to Mutations?

Guero, but its the worst one

guero was more like a return to odelay (working with the same producer - dust bros i think?).
there is a song that has that tropicalia type beat/arrangement i think. been a while.

i'm not big on Sea Change. i don't think it sucks, but it's too 'one note' for me and then having tracks 1 and 3 start off the same way (or on the same chord) rubs me the wrong way.

polkablues

Guero has three or four classic songs, but a lot of filler in between. I would place it head and shoulders above The Information, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

The Information was the first Beck album I bought so it has sentimental value to me. It was especially cool how he put those stickers to decorate your own case, and the dvd with the album done on music video, anyone get through that? I remember outplaying that album so hard and feeling dorky because I only liked Beck for awhile, then I collected all his albums and moved on. I did the same with Nirvana when I was much younger

tpfkabi

that makes sense - he really didn't move much forward with that record, but if you hadn't heard prior stuff it may be a relevation.

i think the Information is most hurt by it's running length and number of tracks. if it was cut down to a solid 40/45 min album it would probably be perceived better. there are a couple tracks that aren't necessarily bad, they just don't go anywhere.

the packaging was a cool idea though. there is even a deluxe vinyl version that would be cool to have, but i don't want to pay the price.

MacGuffin

Beck Covers INXS's 'Kick' With St. Vincent, Liars and More

Beck has revealed that the next installment of his Record Club will focus on the mega-popular 1987 INXS album 'Kick'. It's an unexpected but not unwelcome choice after recent stabs at underappreciated classics by the Velvet Underground, Skip Spence and Leonard Cohen.

"Record Club No. 4 is here," Beck announced on his official site. "Joining in this time we had three of my favorite bands -- Liars, Annie Clark and Daniel Hart from St. Vincent, Sergio Dias from the legendary Brazilian band Os Mutantes, as well as [Record Club] veteran Brian Lebarton, just back from the Charlotte Gainsbourg tour."

The plan, as with previous Record Club titles, is to post Beck's renditions of songs from the album -- including 80s staples like 'Devil Inside,' 'Need You Tonight' and 'Mystify' -- in their proper sequence, beginning with a rousing and relatively accurate rendition of 'Guns in the Sky.'

"The record was chosen by fellow Aussie, Angus from the Liars," Beck continued. "It was recorded in a little over 12 hours on March 3, 2010. It was an intense, hilarious, daunting and completely fun undertaking. Thanks to everybody for being there and putting so much into it. Many classic moments, inspired performances and occasional anarchy."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks