George Romero ( + Dead Reckoning)

Started by socketlevel, December 13, 2003, 05:17:23 PM

socketlevel

Last i heard was some interviews on the anchor bay day of the dead disc and i think roger avery even knew a little about it.  does anyone know what's what?
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Filming: There is no production start date for this project, and it might not even be Romero's next. So, depending upon what he ends up on working next, this could start filming anytime, or many, many years from now. Romero has at least two other projects that are just as likely to be filmed next: The Assassination and Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Filming would most likely be done in Pittsburgh, where the other three films were also produced. The budget will be $10 million.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(8/24/02) This was previously mentioned as being released by Anchor Bay Entertainment release, which traditionally handles mostly just video releases, but Romero announced at Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors last week that Fox has come aboard instead. The difference is that Anchor Bay was willing to give Romero a budget of $3-4 million, while Fox is willing to pony up the full $10 million he wants to make the movie his way (which is still pretty cheap in the grand scale of Hollywood budgets). (1/16/03) AICN reports that Fox has dropped out of this project, with director Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Blade II) now helping Romero find financing and distribution. (3/7/03) The budget that Fox actually offered Romero was $7.5 million, and that it was actually Fox Television Studios that wanted to produce it (for FOX TV?). The deal would have allowed Romero to have all the gore he wanted on the eventual DVD, but he withdrew because he wanted this to be a theatrical release, and that's what he's continuing to look for to this day.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

cool, i'm glad romero is sticking to his guns.  all the other films he made in this saga seemed to be on his terms and maybe that's why he left resident evil.  we wouldn't want it to end up looking like that piece of shit.  i'm also glad del toro is helping him out not that shitty paul anderson.  mind you i don't like del toro all that much either but for some reason i stil respect him.  i just hope romero will shot the film in his style and write the script his way.  i don't want a "contemporary" take on the films, i just want a romero film.

Pubrick

even tho this is a DVD question, i guess u inadvertantly created a George Romero thread. i'll rename it so that ppl (like me) don't think it's about the movie Romero, and in the wrong section.

welcome to xax.
under the paving stones.

analogzombie

I heard his next project is directing a movie about a zombie rock band called "Diamond Dead". I think he is just being hired to direct and his input in minimal as far as story goes. www.diamonddead.com

I hope the rash of zombie mania leads to someone giving him money for a 4th dead film. I know he is in talks with FOX and that John Carpenter has offered to put up the cash if that deal falls through, on one condition though, that Carpenter get to score it. there seems to be some validity to this since FOX has purchased a tentative website for the film. see where this takes you: www.deadreckoningmovie.com
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

socketlevel

sounds cool, carpenter owned the eighties when no one else was releasing anything good!  he is so underapreciated.  though, it is too bad his last four films sucked big time shit,  but oh well...  that was the ninties.

thanks for that new info, if carpenter and del toro are helping out then there is a good chance this shit will fly.  i went to that site you posted and it directed me to the LXG site.  lol, that movie is leaps and bounds behind what i'm expecting in dead reckoning.  do they think the same crowd would be into this?

-sl-

p.s. this diamond dead thing sounds stupid.  what do you think analog?  sounds like your a zombie fan.

analogzombie

I think the LXG redirect is some kind of default goto page since there is no site for Dead Reckoning yet. But it is interesting that it takes you to a FOX site.

Yeah I think the Diamond Dead things sounds suck ass. I mean I'm not really a fan of zombie comedy to begin with. The first Return of the Living Dead is okay, but I like zombie films that take the threat seriously. I mean, it is a horrifyingly scary proposition: that the dead are returning to life as zombies. IMO only Romero has ever treated this subject correctly. Boyle did an awesome job with 28DL, but it's an unconventional zombie movie, since they aren't exactly zombies. It's more of a modern homage to the zombie genre. at any rate I think we'll get to see another serious zombie horror film from Romero, its just a question of when. But I don't think Diamond Dead is it, that's for sure. I mean zombies and rock n' roll were already combined extremely well in Wild Zero. Let's hope its a pit stop on the way to a 4th Dead film.

btw I am soooo dissapointed in the dawn of the Dead re-make. Running zombies(?), smart zombies (?), zombies in the womb (?), it's not a Lucio Fulci movie for god's sake, it's Romero. I think Roger Avary's comments about the re-make on the Day of the dead COmmentary are very telling of what we can expect. :(

Slick Shoes

Martin is soooo good if your into that sorta thing.

socketlevel

yeah man i agree with the dawn of the dead comment.  man, the original is so fucking amazing; it's on my top ten for sure.  why should they remake it to begin with?  it's sad to say that it has to do with 28 days later and its success.  i really liked that film (which is pretty much a remake of the entire romero dead films to date with a splash of something new).  the new dawn is going to be gentrified garbage with the original message removed.  i know i'll see it, but regret doing so.  i have little hope.

i also agree with the avery insights.  avery was talking about the blue face for sure.  that's a staple in "dawn."  i think romero was right in keeping with the blue face even when savani wanted to go more realistic.  The comic book feel is key.  with the remake, the studio execs had such a passe reaction to the blue face, like "we're living in more technical advanced times and the digital zombies will look fucking amazing!!!" is so discouraging.  they're thinking they're making a great film because it'll look "cool" instead of actually being cool.  this backed by ultra extreme angles and some MTV editor on an Avid suite listening to some shitty band like "lincon park" while cutting the film.  it is this trend in cinema that will ruin the remakes' integrity.  it's too bad...

oh well, i guess we still have the original and now that anchor bay is still going to release the box set i'm as happy as a pig in shit.

back to reckoning: i wonder what romero will bash with the new film; what way he'll attack the contemporary frame of mind and political state.  that's the beauty of his films, they attract the political, youthful and cine geek personalities inside of me.  there was something magical about romero and carpenter in the eighties and maybe if carpenter does the score they'll both be able to rehash their former glory and make a balls out serious zombie flick.

-sl-

analogzombie

I am kind of curious as to what sort of commentary Romero might attach to another zombie film as well. From all the talk it seems to be a film that takes aspects of the original script for Day of the Dead and expands it. Namely a last human outpost that is trying to ignore the zombie problem and just get on with life. At some point they create a zombie army a la Bub, to fight the uncontrolled zombies. It could have an amazing battle of zombies vs zombies (maybe to rival the MInas Tiras attack in ROtk!, i jest). but it sounds like it could be awesome. I wish he would just get on it, cuz i have a feeling if he doesn't do it soon, it'll never happen.

socketlevel

for sure, that sounds amazing.  i've heard that too but it was from avery so maybe that was his interpretation or dreams of what a fourth film would look like (or am i totaly wrong and you by chance have happened to read a spec script?  tell me how i can read it if you have)

i remember romero once talking about how the dead have pretty much decomposed and all you have to do is step on them to kill the corpses.  if this is the case, then the other zombi vs. zombie scenerio seems unlikely.  either way i'm happy, the army zombie type battles apeals to my geek side and the decrepid zombie story sounds interesting because i wouldn't know what to expect.

i fear it not happening as well.  but now that the word is these other influential filmmakers are supporting it gives me more hope to its belated arival.

-sl-

analogzombie

Looks like Diamond Dead's website has been re-vamped a little. I still don't know about this one, but it seems Romero was brought in to polish the script as well as direct. the music is being done by the people who diod Rocky Horror.

Also, this is on Anchor Bay's website now:

i am so excited i can't contain myself! I know the first DVD release is just going to be a single disc but it's a whole new transfer and I missed out on buying the old DVD so I am very happy!!!  :-D

socketlevel

yeah that sounds promising.  i myself missed out on those two dawn dvd releases by anchor bay and now i can sink my teeth into them.  i hope they still do the tripple disc treatment however.  i want to see the argento cut and the alternate ending.

the "in the future" part of anchor bay's site is a sham,  they're trying to tell people that it's coming back soon but i don't buy it for a second.  i even emailed them and then they quickly threw up that bs.  they're going broke and trying to not let the word on the street.  at least not to their devote consumers.

-sl-

MacGuffin

Laura Dern Joining Fanning in Tom Gordon
Source: Production Weekly

Laura Dern is joining Dakota Fanning in the adaptation of Stephen King's novel The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, reports Production Weekly. The film will be directed by Night of the Living Dead helmer George Romero.

The book begins with nine-year-old Trisha McFarland (Fanning) taking a six-mile hike on the Maine-New Hampshire branch of the Appalachian Trail. She quickly tires of the constant bickering between her older brother, Pete, and her recently divorced mother. But when she wanders off by herself, and then tries to catch up by attempting a shortcut, she becomes lost in a wilderness maze full of peril and terror.

As night falls, Trisha has only her ingenuity as a defense against the elements, and only her courage and faith to withstand her mounting fears. For solace she tunes her Walkman to broadcasts of Boston Red Sox baseball games and follows the gritty performances of her hero, relief pitcher Tom Gordon. And when her radio's reception begins to fade, Trisha imagines that Tom Gordon is with her -- protecting her from an all-too-real enemy who has left a trail of slaughtered animals and mangled trees in the dense, dark woods.

Romero will likely first shoot the black comedy Diamond Dead this summer in Pittsburgh.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Paramount Remaking Romero's The Crazies
Source: Variety

Paramount Pictures is remaking George Romero's horror-thriller The Crazies, with Michael Aguilar and Dean Georgaris to produce at their Penn Station production company.

The project will update the storyline of the original, in which inhabitants of a small Pennsylvania town are beset by death and insanity after a plane crash lets loose a secret biological weapon into the water supply.

The original was released in 1972, four years after Romero's debut with Night of the Living Dead.