What's Woody Allen's most underrated film??

Started by Alexandro, October 09, 2003, 10:01:50 AM

Alexandro

One of the first Allen films that I saw was Shadows and Fog and I liked it very much...then I discovered it's generally considered a "bad" Woody Allen movie...I don't get it...I saw it yesterday again and everything about it is perfect...The jokes are effective (more effective than in a lot woody movies), the acting is excellent, the cast is amazing, and above all, the cinematography...it's one of the most beautiful cinematography works in all of allen's filmography...

So for me its Shadows and Fog...

what about you guys?

meatwad

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

Celebrity, followed by Husbands and Wives.  Deconstructing Harry is starting to grow on me.

As for Over-rated, how about Bullets Over Broadway.
Music is your best entertainment value.

ElPandaRoyal

Hhhhhmmmm.... Love & Death (I only mention it because people don't take it that seriously becauseit's one of the early funny ones, but it's one of the best damn comedies I've ever seen)
Interiors
Stardust Memories
Radio Days
Another Woman
Shadows & Fog
Manhattan Murder Mistery
Celebrity
Sweet and Lowdown

The others pretty much get the recognition they deserve, I think. As for me, I think only a few don't really work: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, September and Hollywood Ending...
Si

AK

Sweet and Lowdown, Zelig and The purple rose of cairo are wonderful... I just got the dvd of the sleeper and i'm starting to like.

and the most over rated: might aphrodite  :?

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Quoteand the most over rated: might aphrodite

tsc tsc..... that film is wonderful
Si

AK

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

I can understand the choir and all but Mira Survino? She ruined everything i could love in the movie! thank heaven she grabbed that oscar and disappeared...

(i got the same felling for Jernnifer Tilly in Bullets over Broadway but at least she is damn funny)

cine

Ernie

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum

Yea, I love it too. Michael Rappaport nailed his role, seriously...really really funny stuff.

metroshane

Gotta go with Sweet and Lowdown.  I think most people agree it's pretty good, but it never got the mainstream recognition it should have.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Alexandro

Quote from: MacGuffinCrimes And Misdemeanors

I think is one of his most celebrated films.......I mean for critics is right up there with Manhattan, Annie Hall and Hannah and her Sisters, right???

Yeah, Interiors is a masterpiece in my opinion...
Sweet and Lowdown deserved better...

MacGuffin

Quote from: Alexandro
Quote from: MacGuffinCrimes And Misdemeanors

I think is one of his most celebrated films.......I mean for critics is right up there with Manhattan, Annie Hall and Hannah and her Sisters, right???

You didn't specify for critics or not.  And it doesn't seem like anyone is agreeing with me, hence, my choice would be valid. You could ask anyone: best Woody Allen film and the three you listed would be tops. "Crimes" wouldn't necessarily come to mind.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Vile5

Quote from: CinephileEveryone Says I Love You
agree
and Celebrity
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí