PTA + Horror

Started by adolfwolfli, July 07, 2003, 08:01:55 AM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

ono

Quote from: adolfwolflihe was accusing PT of making "movies about movies".
I forgot where I read this, or who said it, but I think it was written by a commentator on IMDB: they said, "All movies are about other movies."  I wholeheartedly agree.  Except for the first film made, of course.  And who knows what that was.  I know, I know, it was some documentary Lumiere footage, but I've never seen it.  Anyway, the other quote that goes with this is: "movies are the history of men photographing women."  Pretty sure this is from some prominent director, but I forget which.

I believe in both quotes, and if I ever get to make a film, you'll know it's been influenced by other films.  That's nothing to be ashamed about, because it can't be avoided.  And if they can see your influences and you've done it well, all the better.  And maybe you'll come across a few new things of your own that others will rip off.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

adolfwolfli

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: adolfwolfliIt's almost as if Hard Eight / Sydney was PTA's Mamet; Boogie was his Scorcese; Magnolia was his Altman; and PDL was his Kubrick.  

You're exactly right. If he does a horror flick, it'll be his Craven.

Nick

I bet it would be more like PTA's Carpenter, due to the use of Cinemascope and steadicam and odd music cues.  

Jon Brion would have it eay this time; all he would have to do would be to hold down one note on his analog keyboard: DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: adolfwolfliJon Brion would have it eay this time; all he would have to do would be to hold down one note on his analog keyboard: DUM dum dum dum DUM dum dum

Oh! So that's why PTA visited the set of Eyes Wide Shut!

Nick

Duck Sauce

He should do a snuff film

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: caraxi always thought boogie nights was a snuff film.

Well, The Dirk Digler Story definetly looks like a snuff film... of course that could just be because its awful and my copy is a 1728th generation copy!

Nick

Duck Sauce

Well, The Dirk Digler Story definetly looks like a snuff film... of course that could just be because its awful and my copy is a 1728th generation copy!

and your blind

Ernie

Quote from: adolfwolfli
Quote from: tremolosloth
Did Kubrick pop into anybody else's mind while watching PDL?

The scene with Barry talking to Georgia on the phone in the morning after he calls the phone sex line the first time reminded me of him in a big way...definitely. With the white background...and the framing of the walls and how evil her voice sounds and all, and how the camera starts to creep in on him at one point. That's become one of my favorite scenes in the movie, it's so perfect.

But other than that...not too much at the time I first saw it. But after reading what you had to say, I see much more, I see what you mean. I definitely agree too...I wouldn't be surprised if he intended to make PDL a little Kubricky...and that's fucking awesome.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Duck Sauce

and your blind

Actually, I am... I just wear my "Geordi La Forge" visors and I can see fine.

Nick

Alethia

Quote from: adolfwolfli

I bet it would be more like PTA's Carpenter, due to the use of Cinemascope and steadicam and odd music cues.  

this is how i imagine it to be as well