greatest PTA scene

Started by Alethia, April 08, 2003, 10:32:02 PM

Dendy

PTA is the master at making me stick to my seat, eyes wide open, thinking "what the frick just happened?"

This has happened several times for me:

In Boogie Nights when Little Bill shoots himself in the face, then cuts to title card (80s).  A perfect transition from the fun loving 70's, to the downfalls of the 80's in one unforgettable moment.

In Magnolia with the rain of frogs.  Definitely was not prepared for that after 3 hours of distress, heartbreak, and sadness.  That's why it was so perfect.

In Punch-Drunk Love when the SUV flipped in the beginning.  After about a year and a half of anticipation and of not knowing what to expect, that scene was exactly what I needed to reassure my excitement for the movie, and prepare me for what was to come.

yep.
"The Dude Abides"

phil marlowe

Quote from: miss jonesyou liked that jibberish ramble of a monologue?

nah...jibberish to year and a half old baby maybe.

Ernie

I'm sorry but...lol. Are you just kidding around? I hope so. Check your dome dog, word up.

who are you to criticize anybody's writing...much less PTA's?

Peace out.

phil marlowe

Quote from: ebeaman69who are you to criticize anybody's writing...much less PTA's?
hah!
this is so akward.

Ernie

Quote from: Phil Marlowe
Quote from: ebeaman69who are you to criticize anybody's writing...much less PTA's?
hah!
this is so akward.

I'm sorry but she must have been just be kidding around. I just don't get it. I mean, the guy was suppose to sound a little messed up, wasn't he? He was on his death bed for fuck's sake. But what he said still definitely made sense. It's a complex monologue...a coherent one spoken by a dying man...that's not easy to write. You write me a better one and I'll shut up right now.

But seriously, I wasn't trying to make fun of her...I wasn't trying to start a "battle" as it's called...I just don't understand what was wrong with that piece of writing. I think it was one of the best monologues written...PT had to put himself in the shoes of a dying man to write that scene and I totally bought it...of course Jason Robard's talent added to this a lot. I don't know, whatever. If she thinks I'm wrong, whatever...fuck me, I don't care. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way and that will defend it though. Obviously I'm not...Phil Marlowe already did.

phil marlowe

phil marlowe does and says many a things. from the outside he looks like a cold and unsensitive being, but he really has soft side and a heart of gold.

where am i again?

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69

I'm sorry but...lol. Are you just kidding around? I hope so. Check your dome dog, word up.

ebeaman, all I'll say is, PTA made fun of that scene in the That Moment Magnolia doc being too long. miss jones must be thinking about that. :yabbse-wink:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Silver Bullet

QuoteMy second one is actually a deleted scene, and, coincidentaly, it's the OTHER awards ceremony. I dunno how to describe it, but it's just so cool, and semi-surreal, and I wish it was in the movie.

I love that deleted sequence too. I especially love the story behind it. Imagine. They look up at see PTA at the podium instead of Dirk. Their reactions are real.

Quote...much less PTA's?

Is it just me, or does it seem that most of the members here just want to be Paul Thomas Anderson?
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pedro

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ebeaman69

ebeaman, all I'll say is, PTA made fun of that scene in the That Moment Magnolia doc being too long. miss jones must be thinking about that. :yabbse-wink:

Haha that's about my favorite part of that doc.  I love him being all the different critics....hehe

And fiona is so damn cute there, too...

snaporaz

long way down [one last thing]

in my opinion, it's the greatest scene in cinematic history.

The Silver Bullet

I put many scenes before it.

Lawrence Of Arabia
The bar scene.
"We've taken Aqaba".

Apocalypse Now
The attack on the village.
"He says they're gonna play music!".

Raging Bull
Jake tunes the television.
"You fuck my wife?".

Casablanca
The last scene.
"Round up the usual suspects".

And then our favourite from Boogie Nights!

:-D
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

oakmanc234

Greatest PTA scene. I'm totally blowing my brain at the moment. Where to start? His films are free-flowing showcases of great scenes. I just cannot narrow ONE down, not even in one film.

Sorry, but I gotta put at least TWO fav scenes/sequences from:

Hard Eight:

-The 'I love you' bit over the phone. Touching scene.
-Sydney waits in a dark house for an ill-fated Jimmy.....

Boogie Nights:

-The dance sequence. LOVE it.
-Todd wants what's in the other room.......

Magnolia:

-'Wise-up'.
-A random frog falls from the sky with a deafening thud on the windshield. Then another; it's raining frogs in the Valley before you can say 'What the f***'. Cue car crashes, destruction and cinematic genius.....

Punch-Drunk Love:

-Barry is suddenly accosted, beaten and chased through town by four thugs in the middle of the night. All the while our hero sprints off, sobbing and squealing like a wild boar. A scene as hilarious as it is intense.
-The whole plane, Hawaii arrival and silhouette kiss set to the strains of the lucid track 'He Needs Me'.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Pubrick

Quote from: The Silver BulletIs it just me, or does it seem that most of the members here just want to be Paul Thomas Anderson?
it's just u. also, are u aware that this site was created as a refuge after the demise of the board at ptanderson.com?

Quote from: Phil Marlowethis is so akward.
if, and only if.
under the paving stones.

sphinx

Quote from: Phil Marlowehah!

yes, it is hysterical, but you should conserve your laughter and keep it for times when it is needed

sus
pic
ion

Sigur Rós

Just be nice to each other!  :oops: