Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

mogwai

Quote from: Gamblour. on May 18, 2009, 01:49:17 PM
My friends and I are going to be rewatching all five seasons soon.

y'all are crazy, that's what i'm also going to do.

SiliasRuby

Congratulations we made it to 100 pages.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gamblour.

Quote from: SiliasRuby on May 18, 2009, 04:08:20 PM

Also my friends and I are going to reread this Lost thread from page 1.
WWPTAD?

pzyktzle

Quote from: Tictacbeekay on May 14, 2009, 01:36:41 PM
And Jack blowing up the island for Kate and Juliet helping him so she won't have to lose Sawyer? C'mon you can do better than that.

I disagree. I can't think of a more compelling reason for a human to act. To remove the pain of having lost the person you love most, even if that means making it so that you never meet them. I don't know of anything more powerful a motivator for human beings than love or, the flipside, pain inflicted by love.

So yeah, what would be a better motive to set off a hydrogen bomb then?

diggler

Quote from: Gamblour. on May 18, 2009, 09:38:26 PM
Quote from: SiliasRuby on May 18, 2009, 04:08:20 PM

Also my friends and I are going to reread this Lost thread from page 1.

i did that the other day and it was quite amusing
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pas

Quote from: pzyktzle on May 18, 2009, 10:35:36 PM

to me such an action would have to be broader than a personal loss. It would have to be in a greater scheme, sphere or plane (I don't know my word anymore I have drank 7 pints of rickard's red)

pzyktzle

Quote from: Pas Rap on May 19, 2009, 12:04:41 AM

to me such an action would have to be broader than a personal loss. It would have to be in a greater scheme, sphere or plane (I don't know my word anymore I have drank 7 pints of rickard's red)

jack rationalizes his motive in terms of the greater good by thinking that he will spare everyone all this trouble. indeed he says this until confronted about it and asked about what really drives him. his personal motive coincides with the greater good, which is a bonus. but even if it didn't, lost's characters are not the standard heroic selfless kind which makes them far more interesting to me.

Gamblour.

Quote from: pzyktzle on May 19, 2009, 02:54:00 AM
Quote from: Pas Rap on May 19, 2009, 12:04:41 AM

jack rationalizes his motive in terms of the greater good by thinking that he will spare everyone all this trouble. indeed he says this until confronted about it and asked about what really drives him. his personal motive coincides with the greater good, which is a bonus. but even if it didn't, lost's characters are not the standard heroic selfless kind which makes them far more interesting to me.

I like this. I think the way the show presented Jack and Kate, we knew it wasn't going to work out. So every glimpse of this or that would be tinged with us, the audience, knowing that it's all bullshit. We never really got to see their relationship rise and fall, just the fall. I think Jack probably, on top of being really broken up about Kate, has a ridiculous amount of guilt regarding everything.

Did I just make a 180 on everything? Probably...
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Not to come off as unsensitive, but I immediately thought of Lost upon hearing this:

Vast search of Atlantic Ocean for Air France jet

RIO DE JANEIRO – An Air France jet with 228 people on a flight to Paris vanished over the Atlantic Ocean after flying into towering thunderstorms and sending an automated message that the electrical system had failed. A vast search began Monday, but all aboard were feared killed.

Military aircraft scrambled out to the center of the Atlantic, far from the coasts of Brazil and West Africa, and France sought U.S. satellite help to find the wreckage. The first military ship wasn't expected to reach the area where the plane disappeared until Wednesday.

If there are no survivors, it would be the world's worst aviation disaster since 2001.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy said the cause remains unclear and that "no hypothesis" is being excluded. Some experts dismissed speculation that lightning might have brought the plane down. But violent thunderheads reaching more than 50,000 feet high can pound planes with hail and high winds, causing structural damage if pilots can't maneuver around them.

Sarkozy said he told family members of passengers on Air France Flight 447 that prospects of finding survivors are "very small."

Brazil's president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, expressed hope that "the worst hasn't happened," and said "we have to ask God" to help find survivors.

The 4-year-old Airbus A330 left Rio Sunday night with 216 passengers and 12 crew members on board, said company spokeswoman Brigitte Barrand. Most of the passengers were Brazilian and French, but 32 nations in all were represented, including two Americans.

The plane was cruising normally at 35,000 feet (10,670 meters) and 522 mph (840 kph) just before it disappeared nearly four hours into the flight. No trouble was reported as the plane left radar contact, beyond Brazil's Fernando de Noronha archipelago, at 10:48 local time.

But just north of the equator, a line of towering thunderstorms loomed. Bands of extremely turbulent weather stretched across the Atlantic toward Africa, as they often do in the area this time of year.

The plane "crossed through a thunderous zone with strong turbulence," Air France said. About 14 minutes later, at 11:14 p.m. local time, 0214 GMT (10:14 p.m. EDT Sunday), an automatic message was sent reporting electrical system failure and a loss of cabin pressure. Air France said the message was the last it heard from Flight 447

While what happened to the plane has not been determined, a Pentagon official said he'd seen no indication of terrorism or foul play. The official spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the subject.

Chief Air France spokesman Francois Brousse said a lightning strike could have damaged the plane. Henry Margusity, a senior meteorologist for AccuWeather.com, noted that the thunderstorms towered up to 50,000 feet in the area, so it was possible that the plane flew directly into the most charged part of the storm and.

Other experts doubted a bolt of lightning would be enough to bring the jet down. Some pointed to turbulence as a more dangerous factor.

"Lightning issues have been considered since the beginning of aviation. They were far more prevalent when aircraft operated at low altitudes. They are less common now since it's easier to avoid thunderstorms," said Bill Voss, president and CEO of Flight Safety Foundation, Alexandria, Va.

Voss said planes are built to dissipate electricity along the aircraft's skin, and are tested for resistance to big electromagnetic shocks.

The plane disappeared in an area of the mid-Atlantic ocean not covered by radar. Brazilian, African, Spanish and French air traffic controllers tried in vain to establish contact. The plane was gone.

Within two hours, two Brazilian Air Force planes began a search mission that grew Monday to seven aircraft and three navy ships. But with nothing more to go on than the last point where Flight 447 made contact — about 745 miles (1,200 kilometers) northeast of the coastal city of Natal — they faced an immense area of open ocean, with depths as much as 15,000 feet.

A French search plane took off from a military base in Senegal on Monday, to be joined by two more from France, and the Navy was asked to send a craft to help as well, armed forces spokesman Cmdr. Christophe Prazuck said.

Asking for U.S. satellite help, Sarkozy said finding the plane "will be very difficult."

"(I met with) a mother who lost her son, a fiancee who lost her future husband. I told them the truth," he said at a grim news conference in Paris.

The 216 passengers included 126 men, 82 women, 7 children and a baby, Air France said. There were 61 French and 58 Brazilians; 30 other countries were represented, including two Americans.

In Brazil, sobbing relatives were flown to Rio de Janeiro, where Air France was assisting the families.

At the Charles de Gaulle airport north of Paris, family members declined to speak to reporters and were brought to a cordoned-off crisis center.

Some people just missed disaster. Bernardo Ciriaco said there were two Air France flights leaving Rio for Paris Sunday night — and his brother was on one of them. It was not until hours later that his brother, Gustavo, called from Paris to say that he had been bumped to the missing flight, but then talked his way onto the other one.

"Thank God he complained until he got back on the original flight. Our family is so relieved," Ciriaco said.

Air France said it expressed "its sincere condolences to the families and loved ones of the passengers and crew members" aboard Flight 447.

Air France-KLM CEO Pierre-Henri Gourgeon said the pilot had 11,000 hours of flying experience, including 1,700 hours flying this aircraft.

Experts said the absence of a mayday call meant something happened very quickly.

"The conclusion to be drawn is that something catastrophic happened on board that has caused this airplane to ditch in a controlled or an uncontrolled fashion," Jane's Aviation analyst Chris Yates told The Associated Press. "Potentially it went down very quickly and so quickly that the pilot on board didn't have a chance to make that emergency call."

If all 228 people were killed, it would be the deadliest commercial airline disaster since Nov. 12, 2001, when an American Airlines jetliner crashed in the New York City borough of Queens during a flight to the Dominican Republic, killing 265 people.

Airbus spokeswoman Maggie Bergsma said it was the first fatal accident of a A330-200 since a test flight in 1994 went wrong, killing seven people in Toulouse.

The Airbus A330-200 is a twin-engine, long-haul, medium-capacity passenger jet that can hold up to 253 passengers. There are 341 in use worldwide, flying up to 7,760 miles (12,500 kilometers) a trip
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

I thought the exact same thing.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

Quote from: SiliasRuby on June 01, 2009, 05:56:29 PM
I thought the exact same thing.

Yeah, let's hope they are in fact on the island or else it is a very sad event. It's amazing that there is so much technology available but these accidents can still happen, and even worse, there is no trace and they cannot figure out how to resolve it.

diggler

great, i'm flying to london in a month and this is all i'll be thinking about

Sleepless

I wanted to share my theory with everyone. I thought I had already, but apparently not, so here goes:

Mr. Loophole is actually the good guy. Jacob lives in the statue - indeed it is a tribute to him. But there were two people on the island at the beginning - Jacob and Mr. Loophole. All this time Jacob has been considered the leader, the great one, the ruler of the island. And Mr. Loophole has had to live out his existence in Jacob's shadow - i.e. his has been in the shadow of the statue. And what lies in the shadow of the statue? He who will save us all. That's Mr. Loophole - he is the one who will save us all.

I think someone else may have already mentioned this but whatever: Mr. Loophole has been trying to get someone to do away with Jacob for a while now. Most recently he took control of Christian's corpse to try and get Jack to kill Jacob, but that didn't work. So, as Christian he kidnapped Claire from the jungle, but she was unable or unwilling to fulfill his need either. So he possessed Locke's corpse when it landed on the island, knowing that as Locke he could convince Ben to kill Jacob for him.

A friend also did some research on the identity of the statue. I don't know the exact name, so bear with me, but apparently it is the image of an Egyptian God who guides the recently possessed through the afterlife. According to my friend's research the mythology says that the God began as a benevolent God but then transformed into a malevolent God. My friend's theory is that Jacob will be resurrected as an evil force that will jeopardize the island. That could fit with my own theory, and also the prevailing rumor that everything will run in contrast to the existing world in season six...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

diggler

i thought the statue was Tawaret? didn't they comfirm this?

Sleepless

Seems so. I didn't watch the recap episode. My friend's a fool.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.