INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Lottery

I did the same thing.

Bravo Reelist, you fuck. That was great/awful.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: Larry Doc Sportello on April 02, 2013, 07:04:16 PM
Just realized this was an April Fools- that tweet doesnt even exist ...... nice photo-shop work
Quote from: Freddie on April 02, 2013, 07:23:30 PMNope, it ain't there. Reelist fucked us all in the ass.
Quote from: Lottery on April 02, 2013, 07:26:27 PM
Bravo Reelist, you fuck. That was great/awful.

I suck at Photoshop. This was obviously the work of Cheech Marin. If you follow him on twitter he does shit like this every april fool's day and then takes it down before the press see it. Kind of a desperate attempt to stay relevant, last year he posted a pic of him with Joss Whedon saying he was gonna be an Avenger. It's sad.

polkablues

Well, that was fun while it lasted. Happy belated April Fools, everybody, and thanks to Reelist.

Lottery

Damn it, I've actually seen that PTA one too.

Reel

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

It's a better photoshop job then they ever did with their huge budget on "Lost"

polkablues

I was really afraid the giant old-man hand was going to give it away.

Quote from: Reelist on April 02, 2013, 01:26:37 AM

Lottery

Unpredicted Prediction time:

This film will be closer to Punch Drunk Love than Boogie Nights.

Pubrick

that's an easy prediction to make.

if this is anything like Boogie Nights then you can put a fork in him, he's fucking done. boogie nights is amateur hour compared to what he's doing now. if he went back to that era in any way beyond a slight nod then we would be witnessing the decline and creative stagnation of a once great artist.

people who either wish he'd go back to an older aesthetic or can even conceive of such a thing happening have absolutely no idea what the hell PTA is doing. this isn't like David Lynch who has gone off the rails and urgently NEEDS to be reeled back to a former coherent space where his films actually made sense (it seems ridiculous to say, but compared to the mess that was INLAND CHUMPIRE, mully d feels like a beautiful children's book.)

No, this is someone who is progressing exponentially into unexplored realms of his own ability. fuck boogie nights, it's the best movie a 27 year old PTA could have made and it's a masterpiece that is still better than 95% of anything made my anyone else.. but this is two decades later, he could fart something better than boogie nights in his sleep.
under the paving stones.

Lottery

Damn straight. PTA's going into a completely different place, I'm of the opinion that the second half of his career destroys the first. And that's not even a diss, because the first half is damn good.

A lot of folks seem to be making the inference that the setting and the potential for a large ensemble must mean a return to a Boogie Nights kind of thing. Like I've thought about it too at some point.

Reel

There Will Be Drugs.

what movies outside of PTA's filmography do you predict it'll be like? Ever since the speculation about RDJ starring, I haven't been able to get the image of him in 'Zodiac' out of my head. Now that he's out, it still stands as the film I most compare it to in my mind- Late 60's detective story set in California. That's the only thing I can relate it to, I've read 5 pages of the book. People who've finished it, how do you see the movie turning out without being too specific about things?

Just Withnail

Small spoilers for the mood of the book

The Zodiac comparison isn't really apt, as that's intensely focused on the mystery, whilst this one isn't really concerned with it. The characters are concerned with it, but it's never really a priority of the book to tie things together and wrap things up. Thank God.

The in's and out's of the mystery are so convoluted and twisted that figuring it out really plays second fiddle to everything else. The details of the mystery is sorta being dragged like a tail behind Sportello, and both we (at least I) and him only manage to keep the most recent details of it in our heads. But in a reductive "you can never really figure out the truth"-message-y way, then I guess this and Zodiac use mystery movie tropes to sort of a similar end. But other than that I can't really see too many similarities. Same time-period, yes, but completely different environments.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

It will be shot exactly like "Angels Live in My Town"

Frederico Fellini

THE BIG LEBOWSKI + KISS KISS BANG BANG + THE LONG GOODBYE + ZODIAC + ALL The CHEECH And CHONG MOVIES + SOME REFERENCES TO VERY OBSCURE STONER MOVIES AND FILM NOIR + THE CAMERA WILL MOVE A LOT MORE (I HOPE).

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.