INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Pubrick

still, it would have been nice to see PTA turn a profit.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Yes, you're right. My first thought was "They're both good actors and I'm sure the movie will be fine with either of them", but thinking in terms of box-ofice, you have a point. Downey is huge at the moment and that can make a difference.
Si

Fernando

IMO, RDJ or any other movie star doesn't guarantee shit...

PROOF:

The Soloist
$31,720,158

Charlie Bartlett
$3,951,699

Zodiac
$33,080,084

Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus
$223,202

A Scanner Darkly
$5,501,616

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
$4,243,756

another huge box office ''magnet'' that has had the same results with lesser movies is Johnny Depp, with movies like The Libertine and The Rum Diary...

anyway...like Pandaroyal, im just happy that (apparently) we (you USA fucks) wont wait long to see the next PTA film.

we Mexicans are still waiting for a release date of The Master, and it doesnt look like we're going to get it soon (soon = the next 6 months)

modage

You're talking (mostly) about PRE-Iron Man RDJ which meant nothing. POST-Iron Man RDJ is:

Iron Man $318M
Tropic Thunder $110M
Iron Man II $312M
Due Date $100M
The Avengers $623M
and yeah, The Soloist but even $31M is almost twice "The Master" grosses, so he definitely wouldn't have hurt.
Plus, he's big overseas.
That said, It'll be super interesting to see what Joaquin does a second time around as I can only assume it will be 180 degrees different.

Listen to Duplass on this.
"The Master is going to lose money, and [Megan Ellison] doesn't give a shit. She's going to make more movies like that. And that sort of punk-rock spirit with the power that she has is exactly what we need in cinema right now."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ulivija

I was reading "Inherent Vice" during the period when I watched "The Master" seven times, and the lead character of "Inherent Vice" totally reminded me of Freddie Quell.

I was unhappy with the choice of RDJ for "Inherent Vice". He's too old and too successful (with the Iron Man/Sherlock Holmes franchises) to play Larry "Doc" Sportello.

I had hoped Joaquin would play Sportello, but never even dreamed it could happen. The reunion of PTA and Joaquin Phoenix makes me so happy!

Here's a paragraph from Pynchon's book that made me think of Freddie Quell - the guy who sleeps through the date with the department store model, and the guy who sleeps in a movie theater:

Doc's history with Bigfoot had escalated with the Lunchwater case, one more of the squalid matrimonials that were occupying Doc's time back then. The husband, a tax accountant who thought he'd score some quality surveillance on the cheap, had hired Doc to keep an eye on his wife. After a couple days of stakeouts at the boyfriend's house Doc decided to go up on the roof and have a closer look through a skylight at the bedroom below, where the activities proved to be so routine - hanky maybe, not much panky - that he decided to light a joint to pass the time, taking one from his pocket, in the dark, more soporific than he had intended. Before long he had fallen asleep and half rolled half slid down the shallow pitch of the red-tile roof, coming to rest with his head in the gutter, where he then managed to sleep through the events which followed, including hubby's arrival, considerable screaming, and gunfire loud enough to get the neighbors to call the police. Bigfoot, who happened to be out in a prowl car nearby, showed up to find the husband and the b.f. slain and the wife attractively tousled and sobbing, and gazing at the .22 in her hand as if it was the first time she'd seen one. Doc, up on the roof, was still snoring away.

I have to confess I haven't finished the book yet -I'm reading it slowly and enjoying every single page. The number of characters is daunting. If I were PTA, I would just film the whole book as an HBO mini-series. The book is wonderful - so full of sex and humor that I believe PTA's adaptation will be his first blockbuster!

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Ulivija on January 25, 2013, 10:08:25 PM

Doc's history with Bigfoot had escalated with the Lunchwater case, one more of the squalid matrimonials that were occupying Doc's time back then. The husband, a tax accountant who thought he'd score some quality surveillance on the cheap, had hired Doc to keep an eye on his wife. After a couple days of stakeouts at the boyfriend's house Doc decided to go up on the roof and have a closer look through a skylight at the bedroom below, where the activities proved to be so routine - hanky maybe, not much panky - that he decided to light a joint to pass the time, taking one from his pocket, in the dark, more soporific than he had intended. Before long he had fallen asleep and half rolled half slid down the shallow pitch of the red-tile roof, coming to rest with his head in the gutter, where he then managed to sleep through the events which followed, including hubby's arrival, considerable screaming, and gunfire loud enough to get the neighbors to call the police. Bigfoot, who happened to be out in a prowl car nearby, showed up to find the husband and the b.f. slain and the wife attractively tousled and sobbing, and gazing at the .22 in her hand as if it was the first time she'd seen one. Doc, up on the roof, was still snoring away.

This was the point early on in the book where I knew I would enjoy the heck out of reading it

Frederico Fellini

You guys seen this?

Narrated by Pynchon himself.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Robyn

This is crazy. I haven't even seen The Master yet.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Considering the "dream casting" of Phoenix, and the large, expansive cast of characters in the book, do you want to see any PTA alum in particular roles?
Of course, the fresh talent is still always something awesome to behold in a PTA film. And some of the parts would be fleeting for known actors if translated to cinema. Still, any opinions?

Personally, I could see Paul Dano easily returning as one of Doc's stoner friends.

polkablues

I just want Paul F. Tompkins to get the big role he's spent two PTA films paying dues for.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on February 01, 2013, 02:05:46 PM
Considering the "dream casting" of Phoenix, and the large, expansive cast of characters in the book, do you want to see any PTA alum in particular roles?
Of course, the fresh talent is still always something awesome to behold in a PTA film. And some of the parts would be fleeting for known actors if translated to cinema. Still, any opinions?

Personally, I could see Paul Dano easily returning as one of Doc's stoner friends.

LUIS GUZMAN as SAUNCHO.  I would also love to see John C. Reilly in AT LEAST a cameo.

Make it happen.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Jeremy Blackman

Phillip Baker Hall as Mumbles O'Malley.

Yes

With Charlize Theron reportedly working on that Seth MacFarlane western comedy that is slated to shoot around late spring/early summer, good chance she won't be in Inherent Vice after all...

Wonder who is going to end up doing the score? I know PTA's mentioned that he will work with Greenwood as long as Greenwood wants to work with him, but the material seems so much up Jon Brion's alley.

Also, with Annapurna financing, I wonder who'll distribute it. I don't think Weinstein will. It could have more mainstream appeal than anything PTA has done in quite some time, maybe Sony?

FYI: One of my 1st time posting! Exciting!  :yabbse-grin:

AntiDumbFrogQuestion