INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Ghostboy

I wonder if the movie will have as much pussy eating as the book.

Lottery

Quote from: Larry Doc Sportello on May 28, 2013, 09:50:40 PM
Of course, The Long Goodbye will be an inspiration.. but that's only one film, man. There are obvious plot/character connections, but PTA will be pulling from (thematic, aesthetic) sources more obscure than Robert Altman

IV will be something completely different: a psychedelic film-noir caper, acid lighting, groovy vibes, star-studded cast....

Just the way how Marlowe goes from place to place and person to person and his whole 'okay with me', reminds me of Doc, except Doc is more likely to say 'groovy' instead. The atmosphere and what not. And I certainly can't lose the Lebowski image either.

Yeah, I'm very much interested in where he'll draw inspiration from on this one. Who knows, maybe The Master was the end of PTA mark II and the dude will start on his next 3-film cycle.
His PDL-TWBB-The Master streak is just so very, very perfect and brilliant.

classical gas

Quote from: Ghostboy on May 28, 2013, 10:14:04 PM

So Pynchon is a dirty old man?  I always thought of him as an egghead.  If the former is true, well, he's a dying breed for god's sake.

Lottery

Quote from: classical gas on May 29, 2013, 12:27:27 AM
Quote from: Ghostboy on May 28, 2013, 10:14:04 PM

So Pynchon is a dirty old man?  I always thought of him as an egghead.  If the former is true, well, he's a dying breed for god's sake.

I really hope they keep the tie-rack scene for those who haven't read it. That was so weird and awesome.
There is a character who literally asks others if they like eating pussy.

polkablues

Don't forget "Ted".
My house, my rules, my coffee

6/29/12 we will never forget

Gold Trumpet

I wonder if he will try to make this film as audacious as he originally wanted Punch Drunk Love to be. If I remember correctly, that film was intended to be a lot more risque with tone and different levels of craziness but Anderson kept dialing things back until he got to the simplistic medium PDL currently stands at. Haven't read this novel, but I kind of wonder if a missed opportunity may be finally met with Inherent Vice.

Lottery

Did anyone else catch this?

I was on IMDB and saw that Jeannie Berlin is playing Aunt Reet. Mistake or sneaky casting?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1791528/

Frederico Fellini

The latest tweet from  https://twitter.com/cigsandredvines   is that Modage is moving on to "bigger and better things"?   Modage, you're leaving cigs and red vines?? 
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

MacGuffin

'Inherent Vice' To Begin Filming Today
Source: Cigs&RV

Almost 2 years to the day after "The Master" began shooting back in 2011, "Inherent Vice" is ready to go before cameras today. The 7th film by Paul Thomas Anderson centers on a pothead private eye named "Doc" Sportello (Joaquin Phoenix) and his hazy adventures in late 60's Los Angeles among a large cast of eccentric characters.

'Vice' is the first authorized adaptation of any of author Thomas Pynchon's work and PTA (in performing his second adaptation after "There Will Be Blood") has stated that this time he'll hew much closer to the source material, which is an embarrassment of riches. ("It's like somebody dumped bags of gold in front of me and I can only take so much with me. What do I do?")

PTA has described his vision for it as being like "a 'Cheech & Chong' movie" but those who know his work can probably guess it'll end up a million miles from there. This will easily be his starriest cast since "Magnolia" featuring a mix of PTA veterans and first-timers with many more major roles yet to be announced which reveals he may also be taking inspiration from the star-studded satires of the late '60s.

After a 5 year gap between his previous 3 features, a 2014 release would make 'Vice' will be the shortest window between PTA films since "Boogie Nights" (1997) to "Magnolia (1999). To help you keep track of all the latest news on the project we've launched our "Inherent Vice" info page which we'll continue to update throughout production.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: Freddie on May 30, 2013, 12:30:25 PM
The latest tweet from  https://twitter.com/cigsandredvines   is that Modage is moving on to "bigger and better things"?   Modage, you're leaving cigs and red vines??

Yep, decided after 2.5 years & 250+ posts that it was time for me to move on. Not an easy decision but I'll still be writing for The Playlist and possibly elsewhere. Thanks for the support dudes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

That'll teach us to take you for granted. :(

MacGuffin

Katherine Waterston Gets Lead in Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice'
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: In a real coup for a young actress, Katherine Waterston has landed a lead female role in the Paul Thomas Anderson-directed adaptation of the Thomas Pynchon novel Inherent Vice. I've heard she'll play Shasta, the ex-girlfriend of Joaquin Phoenix's character, Doc. She is a free-spirited hippie chick who turns straight for real estate mogul Mickey Wolfmann. Doc's main task is, at first, to help Shasta Fay protect her current love, Mickey Wolfmann, from his wife and her lover. She joins Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Josh Brolin, Martin Short, and Jena Malone, with Sean Penn reportedly eyeing a role as well. The film shoots this summer for Warner Bros, and PTA is producing through his Ghoulardi Film Co. along with JoAnne Sellar and Daniel Lupi.

The daughter of Sam Waterston, Katherine has been working consistently in New York Theatre and supporting roles such as Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock, Tony Gilroy's Michael Clayton, and she recently wrapped Ned Benson's The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, Kelly Reichardt's Night Moves and stars in Manhattan Romance opposite Chris Messina. Waterston also just wrapped an arc on HBO's Boardwalk Empire. She's repped by UTA, Silver Lining Entertainment and attorneys Robert Kock and Marcy Morris.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I know nothing of her work, but she kind of looks like a hybrid of Brie Larson and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. She's like a one-woman Scott Pilgrim reunion.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kellen

haha, I'm with you Polka loved her in Scott Pilgrim!