Fav. sports film(huh?)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 27, 2003, 09:09:19 PM

Ernie

Quote from: RaikusSomeone want to explain why they thought "Any Given Sunday" was good, let alone a defining sports film?

Yea, me too. I never liked it. And no, I am not bitter just because everybody calls me Willy Beaman in school  :oops:

©brad

Quote from: ebeamanYea, me too. I never liked it. And no, I am not bitter just because everybody calls me Willy Beaman in school  :oops:

hahha. steamin willy beaman, eh? i never thought of callin u that. perhaps u should consider altering ur screename.

these r the reasons why i luv the movie tho- to get back to the other thing;

- the steamin beaman montage, as mentioned above, for one, is classic
- the colors, looks almost impressionistic
- the music
- the look cameron diaz gives tony at the party after her mom gives back the football ring, w/ ella fitzgerald playing in the background
- the hyper-active camera that puts u right on the field, in conjunction w/ the music makes for an extremely visceral and exciting experience
- that final speech pacino gives at the end. if that shit don't sent chills down ur back i dont know what's amatta w/ u.
- the last game, which is the game of all games.
- the bill withers 'use me up' montage- too good.

so yea, i guess the main complaint i here from ppl is that the movie is exhausting, but why is that necessarily a negative thing? shouldn't all sports movies be exhausting?

SoNowThen

my only complaint with that movie is that I felt it had a whole bunch of threads that just unraveled and fizzed out at the end, whereas his masterpiece JFK had all those threads tighten up and pay off (maybe not on their own, but in aid of the central plot).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

shaolin soccer
ping pong.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ElPandaRoyal

The Color of Money...... now snooker or pool or whatever that was is a sport, right?

Anyway, I think that movie is really cool.
Si

Find Your Magali

I would never put it in my top five, or even top ten, sports movies, but I have a soft spot in my heart for "Victory."

Must have watched that thing 100 times on HBO in the 80s.

I mean, where do they get these ideas? It's "The Great Escape," but with a soccer twist, and Sylvester Stallone is a world-class goalkeeper. Ummm, OK? And we'll put Pele and Michael Caine together on the forward line.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyMy favorite sports movie is He Got Game, and if not that then The Sandlot.

David M. Evans Developing The Sandlot 2?
Source: Moviehole

Moviehole tells us that director David M. Evans may be looking to direct a sequel or follow-up to 1993's The Sandlot, which was about a new boy in a 1962 town who joins a baseball team and tries desperately to fit in with the others.

Having checked out "Bad Boys 2" recently, I'm no longer on the whole 'why did they take so long to do a sequel?' train – as Marty Lawrence remarks in the film It's all timing – one thing Bay's super-flick doesn't have, but it's entirely palpable why it's happening now and not prior to. "The Sandlot" – or "The Sandlot Kids" as it was released in some territories – was released some ten years ago, and now, according to Director David Mickey Evans a sequel to it, could be on the cards. The original, about a group of baseball playing kids, didn't make a mint at the box office, so any immediate plans for a sequel were cancelled. However, it ended up having quite a life on video – and therefore Fox are talking to Evans about a second instalment. It's believed talks are underway as we speak. Watch this Space. Good news for fans of the first movie.

Evans also co-wrote the original film with Robert Gunter.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

I really wish The Sandlot wouldn't face being ruined by an unnecessary sequel.  The end of the movie tied everything up so nicely, and characters grew up, moved away, had businesses, got married, and died.  The charm of the first was in its existence in its own little universe, and trying to expand that universe, as I can see it right now, will only be counter-productive.

Banky

how the hell would they do a sequel?

Gamblour.

Well, Hoop Dreams doesn't have any real discussion, so I guess this thread works, but my god. Best blind buy ever. It took me about three hours to watch it, but I've never been so hypnotized. It's so beautiful and tragic and hopeful and hopeless. When I read the insert about what happened after the film to the families, I cried more than during the actual movie. It's a complete marvel that this got made at all, and you feel small watching such an ambitious film that essentially takes on life at its rawest. I loved the film beyond words.
WWPTAD?