editorial

Started by mutinyco, July 27, 2003, 06:38:37 PM

mutinyco

I'm in my mid twenties. I do not relate to children's entertainment. Especially simplistic and emotionally manipulative children's entertainment.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mutinyco

Also, I couldn't bear the tought of spending 90 minutes with Albert Brooks' character.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ono

1) <-- This button is your friend.  Learn it, live it, love it.
2) If you would have stayed, you would see that the film switches between POVs quite often, so the time spent with Marlin isn't nearly as painful as you make it out to be.  And yes, he lightens up, thanks to good ol' Dory.
3) Finding Nemo is far from children's entertainment.  Like Monsters Inc., the writing is witty, inspired, and just because it's animated does it in any way mean it's only for children.
4) I am in my mid-twenties, too, and loved pretty much every minute of the film.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It's better than growing old and forgetting how to laugh and have a good time, and remembering what it's like to be a kid.  Some of the best films of all time are animated films: from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves to Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  And ten or twenty years from now, all the gems that Pixar keeps churning out will have that same high acclaim.  And for the most part, they do now already from critics and the general public.  They're classics in the making.
5) If you're gonna criticize a film, at least sit through it first.  Finding Nemo gets better and better as time passes.  But you've first got to get the idea out of your head that you're somehow above it.  Pixar makes the kind of movies that adults and kids alike can relate to.  This is especially the case with Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc., their two best films.

©brad

Quote from: Onomatopoeia1) <-- This button is your friend.  Learn it, live it, love it.
2) Finding Nemo is far from children's entertainment.  Like Monsters Inc., the writing is witty, inspired, and just because it's animated does it in any way mean it's only for children.
3) I am in my mid-twenties, too, and loved pretty much every minute of the film.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It's better than growing old and forgetting how to laugh and have a good time, and remember what it's like to be a kid.  Some of the best films of all time are animated films: from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves to Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  And ten or twenty years from now, all the gems that Pixar keeps churning out will have that same high acclaim.  And for the most part, they do now already from critics and the general public.  They're classics in the making.

If you're gonna criticize a film, at least sit through it first.  Finding Nemo gets better and better as time passes.  But you've first got to get the idea out of your head that you're somehow above it.  Pixar makes the kind of movies that adults and kids alike can relate to.  This is especially the case with Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc., their two best films.

:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:

and i dont give 2 thumbs up haphazardly so u should feel privledged.

ono

mutinyco

I fully understand your argument. However, I've never enjoyed animation that much. Whether we're talking early/mid-'90s Disney or even The Simpsons. I just don't enjoy watching it. I thought Spirited Away was well-done, but I still had to force myself to sit through it. I've had girls drag me to see Disney movies -- I sit there blankly, then once I leave the theater I can't remember anything I've seen. I didn't spend my childhood watching these movies, so I don't relate them to my inner child. I was more interested in live action, as when I was growing up it was the first blockbuster golden age.

I'm not saying the animation at Pixar isn't excellent or that their writing isn't witty. I'm saying that Nemo is primarily intended for little kids. No matter how sophisticated it is, it's still designed for 5 year olds -- and with that it retains the same simple-minded emotional manipulation that most Disney animated films offer.

It's just not my thing. If I wanna be reminded of my childhood I'll watch E.T. or Gremlins or something.

-St. Joe

modage

look, saying you dont like animation is like saying you dont like to read subtitles.  of course you're allowed to your opinion, but in doing so, are cutting yourself off from a lot of good movies.  which, is fine if you like being close-minded, go right ahead.  
pixar however, as we've stated before, is NOT DESIGNED FOR FIVE YEAR OLDS.  it IS designed with five year olds in mind (hence no fucking and fighting), but is also designed with teenagers in mind, and adults, and grandparents.  pixar makes their movies for everyone.  there are jokes in there designed to go way over 5 year olds heads, so that parents wont be bored sitting through their movies either.  but what i cant understand is, if you dont like animated movies, why did you even bother watching 25 minutes of this?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jokerspath

Quote from: mutinycoI've never enjoyed animation that much. Whether we're talking early/mid-'90s Disney or even The Simpsons. I just don't enjoy watching it.

You're not implying that The Simpsons is aimed at kids, are you?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Something Spanish

Die! You inhuman, cartoon-hating so-and-so.

The Cartoon Network is among the three greatest stations on television.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: mutinycoI fully understand your argument. However, I've never enjoyed animation that much. Whether we're talking early/mid-'90s Disney or even The Simpsons. I just don't enjoy watching it. I thought Spirited Away was well-done, but I still had to force myself to sit through it. I've had girls drag me to see Disney movies -- I sit there blankly, then once I leave the theater I can't remember anything I've seen. I didn't spend my childhood watching these movies, so I don't relate them to my inner child. I was more interested in live action, as when I was growing up it was the first blockbuster golden age.

I'm not saying the animation at Pixar isn't excellent or that their writing isn't witty. I'm saying that Nemo is primarily intended for little kids. No matter how sophisticated it is, it's still designed for 5 year olds -- and with that it retains the same simple-minded emotional manipulation that most Disney animated films offer.

It's just not my thing. If I wanna be reminded of my childhood I'll watch E.T. or Gremlins or something.

I don't see how Finding Nemo is any more emotionally manipulative than, say a shitty romantic comedy or any other crappy blockbuster.   movies, on an extremely basic level, are supposed to be emotionally manipulative.  And I'd have to disagree with you: I don't think Finding Nemo is geared towards five year olds.  I found (when I went to the theater anyway) that adults and children were laughing (albeit at different parts.)  

But that's just my take on things.  :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

I haven't seen Nemo, but if I had to say what comes to mind when anybody uses the phrase "simple minded emotional manipulation", it's one name: Spielberg. But that's just one man's opinion.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

You REALLY don't get Spielberg.

-St. Joe

modage

You REALLY dont get Animation.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mutinyco

I get animation. The first film I ever did was a stop-motion clay-mation short at age 12. I'm certainly not being close-minded by not liking animation. It's just not my cup of tea. I believe Pauline Kael once said that she drew the line at Disney films. :)

-St. Joe

mutinyco

Okay, I DID like early Beavis and Butt-head...

-St. Joe