A Contest Proposal -- Make Your Own Movie Trailer

Started by Raikus, April 28, 2004, 07:59:42 PM

Raikus

We've got pretty good taste about movie trailers around here. So I was thinking about starting a Movie Trailer Creation Contest. Something that could involve the whole board and kick off this glorious new section.

We could pick three movies that are pretty common (to ensure nearly everyone can rip it for material). Most of us have the necessary software and hardware to make the trailer plus it would give those that want to experience more about video editing a chance. We could create a movie trailer for one of the three movies using any music, visuals, or text. The trailers would have to be between 1:30 and 2:30 in length and a panel of judges could decide the top three.

Winners could receive all those DVDs that Xixax member have been waiting to get rid of or have duplicates of.

What's people's thoughts on it?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Banky

id like to but i dont have the software.  What should PC users have?

Raikus

Adobe Premiere and After Effects are the standard.

However, Pinnacle or some generic programs could work just as well for the editing and audio channels.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Banky

are these downloadable anywhere Kazaa?  DC?

Ghostboy

They should be for bad movies -- the challenge would be to make it look good.

I don't know how to rip movies, either. I've been meaning to learn for a while (not for illegal purpose, mind you). Are you saying one can do it with After Effects?

Raikus

No, you'll actually need ripper software. There's a thread that talked about it before here and here.

I remember downloaded some free software that worked in the past, but I can't recall the name and the program was on my old computer.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RaikusWhat's people's thoughts on it?
Hosting problems, legal problems, grammar problems in the thread title... doesn't look good.

Raikus

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RaikusWhat's people's thoughts on it?
Hosting problems, legal problems, grammar problems in the thread title... doesn't look good.
Well, the grammar problem has been fixed.

As far as legal and hosting: I can host quite a few of them (around 7-10). Legally these aren't for profit or licensed trailers for the movies themselves and would be protected under fair use and sampling laws. At the very worst, if the artist or company that owns the film/music copyright wants it to be taken down, it'll be taken down. So far I've never heard of a fan made trailer having that happen though.

Anyway, I'm not steadfastly defending the idea. It's got flaws just like anything else. But if it sounds fun and there's some interest I think it'd be a very interesting exercise in the board members creativity.