The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Drenk

Thanks a lot ! Now, we wait. There will be enjoyment.
Ascension.

Drenk

Ascension.

max from fearless

It was great. Not a huge huge screen. Full house. Everyone was excited. And then the movie....it hasn't left me, I can't get it out of my heart/head. We've all been talking about it non-stop. Everyone was talking about it outside the cinema. People were buzzing. It was a hell of an experience and the movie left me a bit sad and devastated and it won't leave me, the mood, performances, the feeling, the stories, the characters - I will definitely see it again in 70mm and then again on 35mm a few times.

Drenk

I heard about the screen. It's not huge, but did you felt the difference with 35 mm ?

Great to hear about "the haunting", that's what I want to experience in one week...
Ascension.

max from fearless

Definitely a difference, the colors and the high resolution - this helps the details: the textures of the clothing and various the period detail really comes through. Funnily enough, last night I saw the new print of "The Shining" at the BFI Cinema in London and that also looked and sounded amazing. I would love to see The Master at the BFI, great screen and seats etc. But Odeon is still good and the film packs a devastating emotional punch. You're in for a treat.

Drenk

Oh, I read that on Twitter...

"I wasn't going to pay ridiculous Odeon prices to see the 70mm of The Master, but I feel sorry for anyone who does now the print is scratched"
Ascension.

Just Withnail

Didn't notice the scratch yesterday. Did today after they put up the sign, but didn't care. It's not very prominant.

Drenk

Why is there nothing on the Odeon website about projections friday, saturday or sunday ? I read it for two weeks...I'm scared, I guess. And paranoiac.
Ascension.

Drenk

It's finally on the website  !

But...if I'm a student from France, can I pay ₤13 or am I doomed to overprice ? I'll try anyway... :yabbse-grin:

I don't realize I'll finally see it...I'll wait and see until I'm in front of the screen.
Ascension.

Pubrick

so this piece of shit FINALLY opens here today.

i don't think the distributors have any faith in it anymore. it was scheduled to open relatively wide in Brisbane, in one of the popular chains and most importantly at one of the most affordable prices. but it has quietly disappeared from their website although they'd been advertising it as "coming soon" for months.

now it's only showing at 2 boutique theatres and 1 superduper megaplex (probably for a VERY short run). so 3 places in the whole city, which i guess is good enough, but it's gonna cost me $17.50 as opposed to $6.50 had it been kept by the cheap chain, which despite its amazing low prices is actually very high quality in every regard.

this better be the fucking best movie of the year. i feel sick paying that much for a movie, they are simply not worth that much for a single viewing. especially one i wanted to see more than once. oh, and don't even remind me the hundreds i'm gonna spend in melbourne for a print that will likely be scratched to shit.

why did he have to make a such a godawful FLOP? this is lyndon era in full effect.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: Pubrick on November 07, 2012, 08:46:23 AMwhy did he have to make a such a godawful FLOP? this is lyndon era in full effect.

Yay, I hope Paul makes a horror movie!

HeywoodRFloyd

You're talking about Hoyts right? I noticed that too. Unbelievable. It's also playing in 3 theatres here in Melbourne, two are Arthouse, the other is a singular Village Cinema (A Village Arthouse division I think) that's halfway across the city. At this rate, with a mere 8,222 votes on IMDB, a US Box Office intake of $15 million two months after it's US Release, theatres not distributing the film wide internationally, the film itself reportedly budgeted to 35 million, I think The Master will end up as a massive flop. If getting The Master going after the success of TWBB was difficult, it's going to be interesting to see how he gets Inherent Vice made. But I think he's found a Warner Bros. equivalent in Megan Ellison, here's hoping she stands by him. Barry Lyndon era definitely in effect.

Sleepless

Quote from: Pubrick on November 07, 2012, 08:46:23 AM
this better be the fucking best movie of the year.

I predict you will like it, but anticipating your reaction(s) as always.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pubrick

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on November 07, 2012, 09:41:42 AM
You're talking about Hoyts right? I noticed that too. Unbelievable

no way hoyts did it too? i was talking about cineplex, here in bris they have 4 theatres in some of the best locations, with the best prices i can't even believe AND free parking. i don't wanna pay new york prices but i don't have a choice, i'm definitely not making new york money. my best hope is going on tight ass tuesdays for the subsequent viewings.

Quote from: Christian on November 07, 2012, 09:28:39 AM
Quote from: Pubrick on November 07, 2012, 08:46:23 AMwhy did he have to make a such a godawful FLOP? this is lyndon era in full effect.

Yay, I hope Paul makes a horror movie!

haha. he already did  :ponder:.

inherent vice is the approximate equivalent in his relation to the audience. it's a slight tome from a literary master, as opposed to a grand prose from a best selling author so that kind of balances out doesn't it? it's got a huge star attached at the height of his powers, as jack was at pretty much any point in his career (goin' south notwithstanding). it should be a simple genre piece and if it expects to make any money it should embrace the idiotic public perception that's all it could be. he's entered subterranean territory but i don't think he's doomed in the brutal way kubrick ended up, being undermined at every turn.

he's got too much heart to not make another hit, at least accidentally.

Quote from: Sleepless on November 07, 2012, 09:45:21 AM
Quote from: Pubrick on November 07, 2012, 08:46:23 AM
this better be the fucking best movie of the year.

I predict you will like it, but anticipating your reaction(s) as always.

i'm optimistic as ever. i'll smash out some first thoughts hopefully in 24hrs..
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Think of it as you're paying $6.50 to see the movie, and $11 to finally be able to read the spoiler thread.
My house, my rules, my coffee