The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on December 29, 2012, 12:38:13 AMWell, as much as their might be some drifting qualities within the character of The Master, such as Hoffman's talk about a dragon

PHOENIX: Completely. When we were first started, I talked to Paul about Freddie's motivations for doing certain things, and Paul never had an answer for the character. So it was really frustrating in the beginning of the movie. There was nothing solid or consistent about Freddie. But I'm also a slow learner-real slow. So it takes me maybe halfway through the movie before I suddenly figure out one of the major plot points of the entire film. But it's like in the scene where homie starts talking about wrestling a dragon. As soon as I realized that I was the dragon, it was much easier.

Pubrick

obviously he was the dragon.

have you guys  SEEN  this fucking movie?

every speech the master gives is about Freddie.

if the master has any sincerity it's in his feelings towards Freddie. his wife,  the most intimate relationship in his life,  says that  Freddie inspires something in him,  not her,  not his adoring fans like Laura Dern  and his son is right,  his own flesh and blood,  the master  IS  making it up as he goes along,  that's what inspiration appears to be to those who aren't paying attention,  just some bullshit  he pulled out of his ass..  but since the master is giving speeches about Freddie and Freddie is always so enthralled by the speeches,  then it's obvious why his son can claim to skip huge parts of them and " not miss a thing",  they're not about him,  they're about love and inspiration and any other word you can imagine that describes Freddie's  relationship with the master,  that's what all his speeches are about.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

Quote from: Pubrick on January 15, 2013, 06:25:57 AMhave you guys  SEEN  this fucking movie?
good pull quote for future posters

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Pubrick on January 15, 2013, 06:25:57 AM
have you guys  SEEN  this fucking movie?

Yeah, once.
I suppose I was trying to see it for what it was without analyzing every little bit and still enjoying it. Planning to wait until the DVD/Blu-Ray release to figure out MORE layers than the first time around.
and I thought I was deep  :yabbse-undecided:

ANYways...can't wait to watch it again. This time with hopefully more than 3 people around during the viewing.

Robyn

5 days left until I get to see this.  :onfire:

Frederico Fellini

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Kellen

Drenk

Nice postcard inside The Master Bluray. (Some people have it for reviews.)
Found on Twitter. @DVDizzy_com

Ascension.

Reel

What's that inkblot, did PTA sign it with a broken sharpie?!

maybe it's a shoutout to Jeremy Blake

Robyn

Well, you can now... eh, steal it. I guess.

The Ultimate Badass

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on December 29, 2012, 12:38:13 AM
I want to smack this local film critic in the face, possibly just to remove his stupid moustache.

Mainly because he cited The Master as overhyped, saying that it was a sea of ideas with no connection and that Phoenix and Hoffman's "schtick" got old fast.

Huh.

Well, as much as their might be some drifting qualities within the character of The Master, such as Hoffman's talk about a dragon and some other details about dianetics The Cause, there was a definite structure to this film.
I could understand his belief that there is a "schtick" to the characters, but to say that also means he overhyped it in his own mind and is whiny because it's not living up to his expectations of "greatness". The film itself is dynamic, and just because you don't see the characters change that fast or very much at all doesn't mean that there's a 2-dimensionality to it.

F*** you, critic from Rochester, NY.
You'd think the home of George Eastman would at least give it less of a shallow interpretation.

The hard reflexive emotional responses like this one remind me of the responses the Master's acolytes gave when faced with criticism of their leader. It makes me think that The Master was actually autobiographical. Maybe PT Anderson struggles with feelings that he's a fraud, that his films have been elevated beyond their worth by critics and his loyal followers. Maybe Freddie is the once loyal fan that turns cynical and finally sees his films are hollow.

Frederico Fellini

Frederico Fellini

jumjum