Upcoming Releases

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 07:13:19 PM

MacGuffin

Just in from Buena Vista Home Entertainment are a number of new retail dates for some of this year's hottest Oscar contenders. While specs are not yet available, watch for a double-disc set of the acclaimed Frida on June 10th, featuring Salma Hayek's Oscar-worthy Best Actress performance, the Chuck Barris biopic Confessions of a Dangerous Mind on July 15th, Michael Caine in The Quiet American on July 29th, and Chicago on August 19th. Also note that Buena Vista retail has again released a July 1st street date for Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York, a date which many retailers are beginning to take preorders for, but Buena Vista PR keeps telling us it will be more like August at the earliest. Your guess is as good as ours...stay tuned.

Buena Vista has also announced the full specs for perhaps the most overlooked film of 2002, Spike Lee's 25th Hour. This special edition arrives on May 20th and features a THX-Certified 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer ) and an Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, plus two audio commentaries with Lee and screenwriter David Benioff, the "Spike Lee: The Evolution of an American Filmmaker" and "Ground Zero - A Tribute" featurettes, deleted scenes, and trailers. Retail is $29.99.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffin

Buena Vista has also announced the full specs for perhaps the most overlooked film of 2002, Spike Lee's 25th Hour. This special edition arrives on May 20th and features a THX-Certified 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer ) and an Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, plus two audio commentaries with Lee and screenwriter David Benioff, the "Spike Lee: The Evolution of an American Filmmaker" and "Ground Zero - A Tribute" featurettes, deleted scenes, and trailers. Retail is $29.99.

pricey  :roll:
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

©brad

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: MacGuffin

pricey  :roll:

worth it.  :)

Ravi

So many great releases coming this year.  I can always live on Ramen noodles for 2 meals a day, right?  Hmm...better make it 1 meal.  Heck, who needs food if you have DVDs?

bonanzataz

Quote from: bonanzatazFuck Lion King. Where's the Sleeping Beauty disc they said would be here on the Lilo and Stitch DVD?

Well, taz, amazon has it listed for a september 9 release date.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bonanzataz

Who do you think suggested this packaging?

Director's edition... :roll:
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

life_boy

Director's Edition?  There's an edition of the film more conventional than the one theatrically released?

MacGuffin

FRom DVDFile's review:

The Director's Edition comes with an additional disc. While only true fans of the Hannibal Lecter saga will probably want to pick this up, in a way it's a shame, because this is a pretty cool attempt to create a real DVD diary on the making of a film. A Director's Journey: The Making of Red Dragon is at long last the kind of real documentary true fans want, not that stupid HBO fluff stuff. (Okay, those HBO pieces are fine, but just extended commercials for the movie.) This thing clocks in at 39 minutes (I would have enjoyed it just as much if it was 139 minutes) and we get to track Ratner as he goes through most of the stages of film production, although it feels a bit truncated when it comes to post-shoot: development, scouting locations, fighting with Dino, casting, shooting, fighting with Dino some more, and even so unconcerned with the safety of his actors that it looks like they could have burned to death and he would have tried to CGI their faces in. Those who hate Brett Ratner (which seems to be everyone I went to film school with) will love this. He is frequently seen "discussing" major decisions with everybody, and kudos to the guy for leaving this stuff in. I wouldn't say it is on the level of Hearts of Darkness or even "The Beginning..." on the Star Wars Episode I DVD, but it sure is way better than most crappy making-ofs these days.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Vivian Darkbloom

I can't fucking believe you made me wanna buy the Red dragon DVD ! I just love thos kind of diaries (what do you think about the one David O Russel did for Three Kings ?)

About the Goodfellas SE, didn't The digital Bits post (a long time ago, I agree) something about Warner Bros working on it and on a Mean Streets SE for a future boxset ?

And also, speaking of urban legends, what about Blade Runner ?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Vivian Darkbloom(what do you think about the one David O Russel did for Three Kings ?)

I really enjoyed that one. The Scorsese one on the Criterion Last Temptation Of Christ DVD is great too.

Quote from: Vivian DarkbloomAbout the Goodfellas SE, didn't The digital Bits post (a long time ago, I agree) something about Warner Bros working on it and on a Mean Streets SE for a future boxset ?

Goodfellas: SE - It's Coming!!
Goodfellas producer Irwin Winkler confirms that a Special Edition is on the way, complete with commentary!

April 03, 2002 - Online DVD e-tailer DVD Empire recently held an interview with Life as a House director Irwin Winkler, who just happened to be a producer on the extremely popular mafia flick, Goodfellas.

In this interview, he gave up this nice little bit of information that all fans of the film have been waiting for:

DVD Empire: You've done other commentaries. Care to tell us about them?
Irwin: Well, I just finished Life As A House, and I also just finished the commentary for the special edition of The Net (which streets on 4/2) and I just finished one for Goodfellas.

DVD Empire: Does that mean that we will finally see a special edition of Goodfellas? And is that something I'm allowed to say?

Irwin: You can say it, sure. I don't have any of the dates yet, but I've done my part and it will be coming out soon enough.

As the man said, there is no date yet, but at least we know it's on the way!

Quote from: Vivian DarkbloomAnd also, speaking of urban legends, what about Blade Runner ?

From the Blader Runner website, as of Jan 2003:
http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm#Reports

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

That's really really good news, but I hope Scorsese is on that commentary. Not too excited about a Winkler commentary. Producers doing commentaries= :yabbse-thumbdown:

bonanzataz

Cecil

release date for red dragon: directors edition is april 1rst. how appropriate.

Cecil

Quote from: Vivian DarkbloomI can't fucking believe you made me wanna buy the Red dragon DVD !

please buy this version of "red dragon" instead

MacGuffin

Fans of the Griswolds can finally add the 20th Anniversary Edition of National Lampoon's Vacation to their shelves on August 19th. No details yet.

Those of you who loved Roman Polanski's The Pianist will be happy to learn that a 3-disc version Limited Edition of the film will be released in Region 1... but to Canadian consumers only. It will be a 2-DVD special edition, along with a 3rd disc - the CD soundtrack. That's a much more elaborate version than we'll get here in the States from Universal (which will be only a single disc). The title streets on 5/27 in Canada.

Damn neighbors to the North.

Skeleton FilmWorks