Upcoming Releases

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 07:13:19 PM

picolas

Quote from: CinephileWhere the hell is Duck Soup?!
hey yeah! or Horse Feathers or Animal Crackers for that matter! Oh, me. I was blinded by the scent of A Night At the Opera.

SHAFTR

any news on the following

a new Blade Runner DVD?

a new Apocalypse Now DVD (original cut with Hearts of Darkness doc)?

I want both films on disc, not sure if I should buy the current releases.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Quote from: picolas;
Quote from: CinephileWhere the hell is Duck Soup?!
hey yeah! or Horse Feathers or Animal Crackers for that matter!  
Ah damn, I smell a Marx Brothers Volume 2 in the future...

MacGuffin

Quote from: SHAFTRany news on the following

a new Blade Runner DVD?

The NY Times (Dec. 13th, 2003) has named names on why the Blade Runner Special Edition 3-DVD set is on hold:

They say, "The avidly awaited, definitive version of Ridley Scott's science-fiction classic, "Blade Runner," won't be out on DVD anytime soon for stranger reasons.

When "Blade Runner" was being shot in the early 1980's, Bud Yorkin, a veteran television comedy producer, and Jerry Perenchio, now the C.E.O. of Univision, were the film's bond-completion guarantors. When the film went over budget, by contract they assumed ownership of the film. Paul Sammon wrote in his book "Future Noir: The Making of `Blade Runner' " that they hated the film, had bitter disputes with Mr. Scott and tried to take it away from him altogether.

The studio release, in 1982, contained superfluous narration and a tacked-on rosy ending. Mr. Scott removed both when he was allowed to make a "director's cut" in 1992, but it was, by his own account, a rush job.
Three years ago, Mr. Scott announced that he was working on a three-disc box set, which would offer all the versions of the film, including a new and polished director's cut with previously unseen footage and scads of bonus features. Then, at the end of 2001, Warner Brothers, which was planning to distribute the discs, pulled the plug. It did so, according to a producer who worked on the project, because Mr. Perenchio gave no sign that he would let them be released.

Mr. Perenchio, speaking through an assistant, had no comment on the situation. (Warner Brothers still sells the 1992 "director's cut," though the picture quality is mediocre.)"

Now, you might already know, or have guessed most, if not all, of the above, but let me say that the project is not dead. We still hope for the possibility that the BR:SE DVD set will be finished and released in our lifetimes. I expect that writing to Mr Perenchio will do no good and of course is not something this website supports... ~ An address associated with him is:

Jerry Perenchio
Univision Communications Inc
1999 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 3050
Los Angeles, CA 90067
phone: (310) 556-7676
fax: (310) 556-3568
http://www.univision.com
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

DVDFile.com have posted details on a tenth anniversary edition of Reality Bites which stars the likes of Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawke, Steve Zahn and Ben Stiller. This single disc release will be available to own from the 8th June this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $19.95. As well as an anamorphically enhanced 1.85:1 transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 track, the disc will include an audio commentary with director Ben Stiller, some deleted scenes, filmographies and trailers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

I remember seeing Reality Bites when at its release, but I don't remember too much of it, except the "My Sharona" singalong at at supermarked (or something). Is it any good?

MacGuffin

Artisan Home Entertainment have kindly sent over the details on the up and coming remastered edition of King of New York which stars the ever-reliable Christopher Walken. This two disc set will be available to own from the 20th April this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $24.98. The full disc specs for this special edition release are attached below, along with our first look at the artwork:

Widescreen and Full Screen Versions
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround Track
Audio Commentary with Director Abel Ferrara
Commentary with Producer, Editor, Composer & Associate Producer
Documentary on Director Abel Ferrara
The Adventures of Schoolly D: Snowboarder
The Schoolly D Music Video
Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots
English, Spanish Subtitles

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffinKing of New York
So is that movie any good, or what?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: WithnailTONS of new Warner titles revealed:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/030904htfchat.html

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/030904chatlist.html
holy shit.  basically ANYTHING thats not a 2 disc WB movie with tons of extras DONT BUY IT!!!! shit, i'm going to have to re-buy a handful of those and am currently updating my wishlist to make sure i dont buy anything currently being worked on for a SE!!!

awesome..

Coming in 2004
-Blazing Saddles: SE (1974) [Summer; "Wait 'til you hear the bean scene (in 5.1)"]
-Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
-GoodFellas: SE
-Hitchcock 7-film box set
-The Lost Boys: SE (1987)
-Mean Streets: SE (1973) ["Sooner than you think"]
-The Shawshank Redemption: 10th Anniversary (1994) [Closely working w/ Darabont]

Coming in 2005
-Batman: SE (1989) [Cross promote w/ 2005 film]

Coming in 2006
-The Searchers: 50th Anniversary SE (1956) [w/ other Wayne/Ford titles]

Being Worked on No Date
-Bonnie and Clyde: SE (1967)
-Bringing Up Baby (1938)
-Gone With the Wind: 2-Disc SE (1939) [w/ Ultra-Resolution process, "mind boggling"]
-King Kong: 2-Disc SE (1933) [Being painstakingly restored; "Will blow you away"; "Kong will now fall from the Empire State Building without gaps"]
-Stagecoach: SE (1939) [restoration planned]
-Strangers on a Train: SE (1951) [being restored]
-The Wild Bunch: SE (1969) [Peckinpah promotion]
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Any speculation on which 7 Hitchocks?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenAny speculation on which 7 Hitchocks?
Dial M For Murder
Strangers On A Train
Suspicion
North By Northwest?
Juno and the Paycock?
Blackmail?

just speculation. warner has/had the rights to those titles so i would expect at least a few of those.  macguffin, any help?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

So, in other words, I'm still safe buying the current versions of Psycho, Vertigo, Birds, and Rear Window?

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenSo, in other words, I'm still safe buying the current versions of Psycho, Vertigo, Birds, and Rear Window?
should be.  those are all Universal, but you never know!

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02holy shit.  basically ANYTHING thats not a 2 disc WB movie with tons of extras DONT BUY IT!!!! shit, i'm going to have to re-buy a handful of those and am currently updating my wishlist to make sure i dont buy anything currently being worked on for a SE!!!

awesome..

Coming in 2004
-Blazing Saddles: SE (1974) [Summer; "Wait 'til you hear the bean scene (in 5.1)"]
-Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
-GoodFellas: SE
-Hitchcock 7-film box set
-The Lost Boys: SE (1987)
-Mean Streets: SE (1973) ["Sooner than you think"]
-The Shawshank Redemption: 10th Anniversary (1994) [Closely working w/ Darabont]

Coming in 2005
-Batman: SE (1989) [Cross promote w/ 2005 film]

Coming in 2006
-The Searchers: 50th Anniversary SE (1956) [w/ other Wayne/Ford titles]

Being Worked on No Date
-Bonnie and Clyde: SE (1967)
-Bringing Up Baby (1938)
-Gone With the Wind: 2-Disc SE (1939) [w/ Ultra-Resolution process, "mind boggling"]
-King Kong: 2-Disc SE (1933) [Being painstakingly restored; "Will blow you away"; "Kong will now fall from the Empire State Building without gaps"]
-Stagecoach: SE (1939) [restoration planned]
-Strangers on a Train: SE (1951) [being restored]
-The Wild Bunch: SE (1969) [Peckinpah promotion]

I gasped and crapped and creamed my pants at the same time.