animal collective

Started by JG, July 05, 2007, 09:06:49 AM

Stefen

The intial comment about classic albums only coming out towards the end of decades was a joke, but then you went and presented your list and I pretty much took offense.

Of course not everyone likes Radiohead, but even if they don't like Radiohead, they still have to appreciate Ok Computer, because it's a classic album.

You naming Four Tet, Nick Cave, and Arcade Fire is like someone jumping into a classic movie discussion where people are citing Citizen Kane, 2001, and Pulp Fiction, and you burst in with Crash, House of Sand & Fog, & Vanilla Sky.

Theres a difference between your favorite and the known classics.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

B.C. Long

Yeah, I'll agree with your last statement because it's an opinion that I share. Universal Classics aka Majorty Film Community Opinion as opposed to Personal Favorites. I apologize I didn't catch your sarcasm in your initial question. That's not sarcasm, btw.

Quote from: Stefen on July 19, 2007, 02:40:45 PM
Of course not everyone likes Radiohead, but even if they don't like Radiohead, they still have to appreciate Ok Computer, because it's a classic album.

Not necessarily. They don't have to acknowledge or appreciate anything. There's no law that says you have to appreciate something you don't like. However I'd say said people are morons.

Stefen

Anyone who doesn't think Ok Computer is a classic album probably thinks the world is flat and we really landed on the moon.

Don't trust anyone who doesn't think it's one of the greatest albums ever made.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Stefen on July 19, 2007, 10:25:59 AM
I should have said "classic" albums.

Not your favorite albums.

I'm talking the Ok Computers, the Dark Side Of The Moons, Pauls Boutiques, Joshua Trees, The Ramones.

3 doors down-"the better life" [2000]
bone-thugs-n-harmony-"btnh ressurection" [2000]
disturbed-"the sickness" [2000]
nickelback-"the state" [2000]
papa roach-"infest" [2000]
lifehouse-"no name face" [2000]
good charlotte-"good charlotte" [2000]
sum 41-"hour of power" [2000]
the offspring-"company of one" [2000]

Stefen

That is the most perfect list I have ever seen.

You know when you're searching for something to say a dickhead likes, but you can never come up with anything? Well, those are the albums I'm always trying to come up with.

Quote from: pyramid machine on July 19, 2007, 03:59:49 PM
Quote from: Stefen on July 19, 2007, 10:25:59 AM
I should have said "classic" albums.

Not your favorite albums.

I'm talking the Ok Computers, the Dark Side Of The Moons, Pauls Boutiques, Joshua Trees, The Ramones.

3 doors down-"the better life" [2000]
bone-thugs-n-harmony-"btnh ressurection" [2000]
disturbed-"the sickness" [2000]
nickelback-"the state" [2000]
papa roach-"infest" [2000]
lifehouse-"no name face" [2000]
good charlotte-"good charlotte" [2000]
sum 41-"hour of power" [2000]
the offspring-"company of one" [2000]

conspiracy
context, context, context.

B.C. Long

Come on! Get DOWN with the sickness!

pumba

The funny thing is a completely agree with ok computer, dark side etc, and I was excited to hear this because of all the hype, but it's such TRASH man! I couldn't get passed the first four songs,
It's like the postal service on crystal meth..but not good.

Stefen

I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't really comment.

JG

Quote from: shnorff on July 21, 2007, 05:19:41 PM
The funny thing is a completely agree with ok computer, dark side etc, and I was excited to hear this because of all the hype, but it's such TRASH man! I couldn't get passed the first four songs,
It's like the postal service on crystal meth..but not good.

in what way does this resemble the postal service?  seriously, thats one of craziest things i've ever heard about animal collective. 

Stefen

Yeah. It's like comparing Frank Capra to Eli Roth.

pumba

computer processed music, loops, various drums and beats, etc

The first track of the album especially brings me back to them, kind of reminded me of Such Great Heights ..

I felt that I kept waiting for the a certain punch in each song, which I never got...Like it was missing that extra zing, I mean...sure it's cool, for a bit, and this is going to sound like I'm old (and I am) but most of it sounded like noise.

Stefen

It's cool that you didn't like it, it's not like their accessible like a motherfucker.

It's the fact you compared Animal Collective to Postal Service.

Ones an experimental indie band, the others an MTV friendly shitty emo band fronted by a 40 year old fat guy crooning about his high school sweetheart.

Their on different sides of the spectrum.

squints

everything sounds too programmed. a friend of mine just recently saw them in colorado and complained that it was just a bunch of dudes with their laptops. The percussion on sung tongs and feels had a definite quality to them that was grounded in realistic sounds. Also, i feel this album pales in comparison to panda bear's most recent effort (whose contributions on this album don't stand out at all). I definitely think animal collective is original and creative but i don't see them taking this much further other than maybe giving hope to all the people out there who think they can create original, innovative, and exciting things in music while having no actual musical talent. After a first listen i was disappointed but after revisiting it I'm finding more and more things i like. but i just don't think i like animal collective as much as i thought i did. does that make sense?
do you remember when you'd download a popular song from Kazaa and when you listened to it it was a scrambled digital mess? that's what peacebone sounds like to me.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

I think they get by on hype.

Everyone is jumping all over this album as being great because they think they are supposed to. When Pitchfork, Stereogum, Stylus, and Tiny Mix Tapes come out with their reviews and they aern't very favorable, everyone will come back down to earth.

I haven't heard it yet.