Garden State

Started by Ghostboy, March 19, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

I think he means that it's obvious that the director ripped off a lot of techniques already used.  Or "borrowed" them...  :roll:
context, context, context.

tpfkabi

at this point in cinema what really isn't derivative of something?

anywho, where did you find the pic for the avatar with shirt/wall blend in thing from the trailer?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Raikus

I screen grabbed it from the Quicktime trailer.

And it really doesn't matter about which shots or which style is found in certain scenes--it's how well the director can blend those things in to a complete and beautiful movie.

This may not be the case with Garden State, but I'm sure hoping for it.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Sal

Quoteat this point in cinema what really isn't derivative of something?

I thought post modernists kept themselves hidden away like little hermits?  What are you doing self proclaiming that stuff??  :)

Garden State is like the alleyway prostitute eager to get inside your pants.  It screams "easy."  I'll save my load for bigger and better things..

MacGuffin

Zach Braff Adapting Andrew Henry's Meadow
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Zach Braff -- whose directorial debut, "Garden State," raked in positive reviews and a $5 million distribution deal at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival -- has found a follow-up project. Garden State writer/director and Scrubs star Zach Braff is teaming with his brother to adapt D. Burn's novel Andrew Henry's Meadow for 20th Century Fox.

Braff and his brother, Adam Braff, will co-write the screenplay and serve as executive producers on the John Davis-produced project, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The film is the story of a boy inventor who escapes suburbia to a beautiful meadow where he builds a child's utopia in the trees. There he becomes a reluctant hero who leads a band of fellow outcasts on a mission to awaken their families before it's too late.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Internet-Only Trailer

Eh.  For those who liked the first teaser, this ain't quite so good I think.  For those who hated the first teaser, this probably only gives you reason to hate it more.  The use of the music is pretty crap and the dialogue shows itself now as kinda... crap, as was previously reported.

Oh well.

El Duderino

i like that trailer actually...better than the first...good use of the postal service song.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

mutinyco

"Natalie Portman is hot!"

"Yeah, she's hot!"

"I met her!"

"Natalie is really hot!"

"I met her too!"

"Natalie is SO hot! I can't wait!"

"Wait, what's the name of this movie again?"
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

matt35mm

I actually didn't like the use of the Postal Service song.  It's a great song, but one of my pet peeves I guess is when a song is cut to pieces to fit the images.  There must've been 3 or 4 abrupt cuts in the music.  And I don't think that song fit the images very well.

meatball

It's not a well put together trailer, but I'm still interested in the film itself.

El Duderino

Quote from: matt35mmI actually didn't like the use of the Postal Service song.  It's a great song, but one of my pet peeves I guess is when a song is cut to pieces to fit the images.  There must've been 3 or 4 abrupt cuts in the music.  And I don't think that song fit the images very well.

though i disagree with you...i do see where you're coming from. "Let Go" was put to better use, but i'm glad he didnt use it twice.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

tpfkabi

the other song is:
Travis - "Love Will Come Through"

the jokes seem very Scrub-ish......i definitely like the way the movie title is done at the end, but it reminds me of the Focus title.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ComixFan

anyone who says this looks too much like Wes Anderson needs to watch that Napoleon Dynamite trailer again (which will also be great)

modage

Quote from: ComixFananyone who says this looks too much like Wes Anderson needs to watch that Napoleon Dynamite trailer again (which will also be great)
yeah, no need.  that also looks too much like wes anderson.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

Poster:

http://www.impawards.com/2004/garden_state.html

It's kinda pathetic (good representation of the movie) :lol:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."