Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith

Started by modage, June 24, 2003, 06:14:37 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02"Anakin and Obi-Wan fight on platforms on the lava. They control these like surfboards"
:roll:

And there's going to be another assembly line battle, isn't there?

SoNowThen

A question for Star Wars fans:

seeing how I only sorta like the originals, I was wondering how the mega-fans felt about all this. Is this series finally and forever ruined for you, or are you still holding out hope that this new one is gonna somehow reedem everything?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

Obviously, the prequels are abortions... but it's kind of fun to follow the universe anyway... what a lot of people ignore is that the story is still fun to pay attention too... it's kind of like a soap opera.

Ghostboy

Quote from: SoNowThenA question for Star Wars fans:

seeing how I only sorta like the originals, I was wondering how the mega-fans felt about all this. Is this series finally and forever ruined for you, or are you still holding out hope that this new one is gonna somehow reedem everything?

It isn't ruined, and I'm still holding out hope that the last one will be good -- and I'm fairly certain that I'll enjoy it a great deal, and possibly even love it immensely, as I did the last one for the first month or so that it was out (see the ridiculously hyperbolic review on my website). Just seeing the Star Wars logo on the big screen, with that music, releases some euphoric endorphin in my brain.

That said, there are certainly things that are beyond redemption, and as a Star Wars fan, I just have to either live with them or give up on the whole thing. It's too ingrained in who I am for me to choose the latter, so I'll just deal with the problems, just like I'll deal with stupid motherfucking alterations to the originals when I buy them on DVD this fall.

Somewhere in some other thread a few months back, Godardian said something that amounted to: filmmakers who look to George Lucas as inspiration will not make good movies (forgive me, Godardian, if I'm misconstruing your original words). I know exactly where he's coming from, and of course I understand all of the 'evil' that 'Star Wars' brought into the world of cinema; Lucas himself, certainly, is no model of passionate filmmaking worth aspiring to (although he certainly had the potential to be). But the original trilogy itself -- aside from being (in my opinion, particularly regarding the first two episodes) a masterpiece of pop art, technology and stortyelling -- set the undiminishable fires in my imagination that led me to, eventually, where I am today. And so I still credit George Lucas for getting me into filmmaking.

Interestingly, the producer of the new trilogy, Rick McCallum, credits Ingmar Bergman as his inspiration. I wonder what he really, deep down inside, thinks of them. Part of the answer to that query can be found in the excellent behind the scenes doc on the Phantom Menace DVD, in which not only he but Lucas and everyone else in the room looks rather aghast after the first screening of the Episode 1 rough cut.

This post has ended up being a lot longer than I meant it to be.

SoNowThen

Just as an addition, Lucas should be given credit for American Graffiti as well. I'll always respect him for that movie.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Just Withnail

Ghostboy and RK took the words straight out of my mouth. To me the prequels, though lightyears from the originals, do actually hold up, even if it's just the nostalgia, and hearing that music, and seeing that opening scroll. I admit I even find the story interesting, and had the dialogue just been better scripted, and the films less statically directed, they'd definitely be up there with the originals.

lamas

I just like the lightsaber fighting so those parts are cool, but surfboards on lava?  Come on!

Just Withnail

I betting (hoping) the surfboards detail is an exaggeration.

Ravi

Episode III: Surf's Up

Does Lucas have anything planned for after Star Wars?  I mean besides messing around with them later.

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

LostEraser

Quote from: bonanzatazyes. episodes 7, 8, and 9.

I thought he said he was never planning on doing those.
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra

cine

Quote from: LostEraser
Quote from: bonanzatazyes. episodes 7, 8, and 9.
I thought he said he was never planning on doing those.
This is an exact quote from Lucas:

"If I was a droid like C3PO, I would live to make episodes 10, 11, 12 and all the way to 20. Future Star Wars fanatics would eat it up like cherry pie. Because I'm George Lucas and they're not."

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: GhostboyInterestingly, the producer of the new trilogy, Rick McCallum, credits Ingmar Bergman as his inspiration.

How can the new trilogy in any way be seen as inspired from Bergman? Even for any dissatisfaction he may have in the new trilogy, Star Wars is nowhere near the aim of Bergman and as a producer, he has quite a lot of pull to shape trilogy. I think thats just a popular thing to say.

mutinyco

Birth of the Empire? What, Jedis running around in white robes with hoods?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

George Lucas Talks Star Wars: Episode III Title
Source: USA Today Tuesday, June 15, 2004

USA Today caught up with George Lucas who said the Star Wars: Episode III title won't be officially announced until November, when the first trailer hits threaters.

But he conceded that fans on websites already have guessed correctly. The newspaper threw a couple of rumored titles at him: Rise of the Empire? "No, that's not it," Lucas said. How about Revenge of the Sith?

With that, Lucas smiled knowingly, backed away and teased, "That's a possibility. Lots of titles out there."

Thanks to TheForce.net for the alert.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.