Superman Returns

Started by MacGuffin, January 16, 2003, 10:28:43 AM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Recce
I agree they should just dump the project. I mean 'Brendan Fraser'? What the hell is that? I know its not sure, but if they're considering actors that don't even look like Superman, you know its gonna suck. And throwing millions of dollars at it won't help. Look at 'Daredevil'.

Quick question about related DC Comics stuff: I heard something about Darren Aronofski writing a Batman script. Anyone know anything on that?

I dont really care for this Superman other than hoping that Superman is not played by Brenden Fraiser, who I have never liked. He doesnt look enough like Superman, hes too dopey looking and would make this like one of his Dudley Do Right/ George of the Jungle movies to me.

Im sure Mac will come in with the links but the Aronofsky Batman thing is old news and apparently dead. Sad.

MacGuffin

The Westmeath Examiner has a piece on who might playing Perry White in the new "Superman" movie:

"Steve Martin, whose new film "Bringing Down the House" has been atop of the box office in the United States for two consecutive weeks, is in talks to play Daily Planet newspaper editor, Perry White in the forthcoming "Superman" film".

"Reports suggest Martin, 57, met last week with the film's producers to discuss the role."

They go on to say his next film is a comedy for FOX called "Cheaper by the Dozen".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Him

it's probably just a big cover-up. steve probably tested for the lead role.

why don't they actually get a young man to play the role, as opposed to brendan fraser, who's in his mid to late thirties?  the whole thing i liked about spiderman is the whole :year one kinda stuff. i thought josh hartnett would be an o.k. choice...it's a difficult role though. action and light comedy at equal turns.

i did hear a rumour about jerry o'connell, who must be over thirty by now as well. he seems like an o.k. kind-a guy, if not overly talented or intelligent with career choices.

©brad

hearing all these superman ideas leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The only real superman in my book is Christopher Reeves. Can you imagine how fucking cheesy Brendan Fraser or Jerry O'Connell would look with the suit and cape flying in the air?

Derek

Quote from: cbrad4dhearing all these superman ideas leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The only real superman in my book is Christopher Reeves. Can you imagine how fucking cheesy Brendan Fraser or Jerry O'Connell would look with the suit and cape flying in the air?

Yeah, but Jude Law would kick ass.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Derek

A British Superman?  That would be like having Sam Elliot as the next Bond.

Derek

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: Derek

A British Superman?  That would be like having Sam Elliot as the next Bond.

Oh, exactly like it, yeah.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Brett Ratner Leaves Superman for Rush Hour 3

According to Variety, Brett Ratner will no longer direct Superman for Warner Bros. Pictures. Ratner had previously agreed to make Rush Hour 3 at sister studio New Line Cinema who have just hired Bad Company scribe Jason Richman to write the script. New Line hopes to have a first draft from Richman in eight weeks and then to move forward with Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan returning to the franchise.

The trade says Ratner released a statement late Wednesday. "I have chosen to withdraw as director of 'Superman.' The difficulty of casting the role of Superman has contributed to my decision. I appreciate the efforts of Warner Bros. and the entire production team during this process."

Warner Bros. has every interntion of moving forward with Superman, the studio says.

The final straw for Ratner appears to have been the unwillingness of studio executives to approve Ratner's choice as the Man of Steel, soap star Matthew Bomer. Among the actors who tested for the role were Brendan Fraser, Paul Walker and Josh Hartnett.

Ratner's transition to Rush Hour 3 isn't entirely seamless, adds the trade. While the director has already made his deal for the second sequel, the same can't be said for Tucker and Chan. New Line wants the stars to return.

Richman recently wrote a draft of Paramount Pictures' Beverly Hills Cop 4.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

Looks like Richman's a regular shitty action screen writer.  He probably has the perfect sensibility to match Ratner's mastery of craft.  Should be intersting to see.

MacGuffin

Here's the LSOK news update:

So Ratner is gone and guess who could be back on the movie? The man responsible for the vacuous but entertaining Charlie's Angels... McG!

McG isn't confirmed or anything so don't take word as gospel. He's just one of the main contenders for the director's chair.

McG has worked on it before and will give them the chance of making 2005. In a frightening BBC documentary about the making of Charlie's Angels last year, McG talked about the trouble he had with Bill Murray and how the producers and writers took creative control away from him due to heavy scheduling constraints. He seemed a guy who actually cared about what he was doing (or trying to do) and carried neither the arrogance nor ego of a certain Brett Ratner.

He's handled a movie in crisis and got through it. He knows the territory and the Superman project. The people at WB aren't completely alien to him. Sure they'd have to do more re-writes, production designs, hire new crew and start casting again but at least the delay would be minimized. Charlie's Angels wasn't Citizen Kane but it was probably the best Charlie's Angels movie we could have expected under the circumstances.

Anyway that's what's currently going round the Superman rumour-mill, may actually happen, may not – McG's agents denied he's been approached but that doesn't mean WB don't have him in mind. Remember he was the guy they wanted originally, only leaving due to his Charlie's Angels 2 commitment.

One last thing, Hartnett might be back as Superman, though it may be dependent on who the next director is.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Hard to imagine someone worst than Ratner doing it, but this latest development says it is can very well happen.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

©brad

i do too. its nice to see a director like McG who's like a kid and has so much enthusiasm about making movies. I think with a half-decent script McG could do a great job with the Superman franchise. I don't see how anyone couldn't like Charlie's Angles. It's such a fun movie.

Victor

mcg's a cool guy, though im not an angels fan.

carry on...
are you gonna eat with us too?

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i am so happy that mcg is getting props

will he be the next kubrick no but he will make fun action movies, i loved charlies angels and that film would of been a peice of shit without his touch