Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

modage

Yeah, I mean it's apples and oranges.  And everybody already knows that apples are better than oranges.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Tictacbk

Quote from: I Love a Magician on August 20, 2010, 08:48:56 AM
Quote from: Tictacbk on August 20, 2010, 04:42:19 AM
Jesse VS Betty

that'll be a good one

For what its worth, I meant to say Jesse VS Peggy.

But I suppose it really is an apples and oranges type thing... who cares which is better? I'm just glad they both exist.

but mad men is better

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on August 20, 2010, 08:54:48 AM
Yeah, I mean it's apples and oranges.  And everybody already knows that apples are better than oranges.

How much $ are you getting to say that?

(If I have read it right, you are actually employed by MM in some fashion).
:yabbse-grin:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

My company does work with AMC so I work on both shows.  But regardless, Mad Men is still my favorite show on TV (now that LOST is gone).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

So what you're saying is, since everyone likes apples, it's safe to say that apples are overrated, overhyped and fall fairly bland in the face of the much tastier oranges?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on August 20, 2010, 10:41:04 AM
My company does work with AMC so I work on both shows.  But regardless, Mad Men is still my favorite show on TV (now that LOST is gone).

Will you send me any show related goodies?

Speaking of apples, what do I have to do to get apple juice as a more prominent breakfast beverage along with the noraml milk, oj and coffee?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

Breakfast is the GOAT meal.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Finished Season 3 this morning.  I love this show. 

Stefen

Quote from: modage on August 29, 2010, 05:36:39 PM
Finished Season 3 this morning.  I love this show. 

RIGHT?

How great were the last 3 or 4 episodes of season 3?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

I loved it pretty consistently from SPOILER Tuco's death through to the end.  In the beginning I was frustrated that there were a lot of opportunities for drama in the premise that I felt weren't taken advantage of by the writers.  Like the premise was better than the execution.  So there were big leaps in character logic that bothered me as well as feeling like the portrayals were a bit over-the-top (Walt is a nebbish, Hank is a macho ahole, etc.)  

I feel like it really became an exponentially better show as it went on.  The writing was tighter, the characters became much more nuanced and Gilligan became a better storyteller.

Some non-submergible moments from the series:

SPOILERS MAJOR

Jesse doing heroin for the first time.
Jane choking on her vomit with Walt there.
Walt in the parking lot giving the amateur methmakers a warning.
Hanks parking lot battle.
Walt saving Jesse with his car.
The last minutes of season 3.  Holy SHIT.

END SPOILERS

I want to spend the next year convincing everyone I know to watch it.

It's now my 2nd favorite show on TV.

Pubrick

First of all, he's misquoting it, they're called non-submersible units.

And secondly, that's not what Kubrick meant, as explained in this FAQ (scroll down to question 49).

So based on this guy's misquoting and misreading of basic Kubrick knowledge I have to say I neither endorse nor approve the current headline pertaining to this show. 
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Haha, so essentially, stealing from Kubrick will always work out for you, even if you misunderstand and misinterpret what he said.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Gamblour. on September 02, 2010, 08:20:47 AM
Haha, so essentially, stealing from Kubrick will always work out for you, even if you misunderstand and misinterpret what he said.

See also: 90% of all movies after 1968.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Just watched the entire series so far.  I finished up the third season, and for some reason I was under the impression that the fourth season was currently airing, so I rushed over to Pirate Bay to look for the new episodes, only to discover that the show doesn't come back until JULY.  FML.

But anyway, yes it is a super fantastically great show and you were all right and I'm deeply sorry it took me so long to get around to it.  For once, a show actually understands that character depth doesn't just mean they have a quirky mannerism and a ghost in their back-story, but that people have actual personality flaws that inform their actions.  That people will act outside of their own best interests sometimes.  That the line between a noble act and a selfish one can blur so subtly you don't even realize that it's happened. 

And if you didn't like the end of season two, I will fight you.  With my fists.  What picolas said.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Quote from: polkablues on January 03, 2011, 02:15:16 PM
Just watched the entire series so far.  I finished up the third season, and for some reason I was under the impression that the fourth season was currently airing, so I rushed over to Pirate Bay to look for the new episodes, only to discover that the show doesn't come back until JULY.  FML.

But anyway, yes it is a super fantastically great show and you were all right and I'm deeply sorry it took me so long to get around to it.  For once, a show actually understands that character depth doesn't just mean they have a quirky mannerism and a ghost in their back-story, but that people have actual personality flaws that inform their actions.  That people will act outside of their own best interests sometimes.  That the line between a noble act and a selfish one can blur so subtly you don't even realize that it's happened.  

And if you didn't like the end of season two, I will fight you.  With my fists.  What picolas said.

I'm one of the people who wasn't feeling the end of season two, but it's okay because it redeemed itself with season 3, which is its best season and possibly one of the best seasons of television of all-time. Especially the last 5 or 6 episodes. The Gus story arc is so fascinating. Can't wait to see where that goes.