Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

john

Some of those are assuredly direct-to-video. I'm sure you can narrow the list down a bit further with a bit of research but, off the top of my head, Pumpkinhead 2 was a DTV release. Puppet Master 2 was also direct-to-video... but so was the first one (though the original was intended for a theatrical release). I don't think Mimic 2 got a theatrical release, either... but I could be wrong.

Depending on how many of these you've actually seen from this list, you're gonna be in for some pleasant surprises.

There's the Scorsese-approved Exorcist 2, and the fantastical shifts in genre that occur in both Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Slumber Party Massacre 2 (not as competent as TCM 2, but commendably bat shit insane).

There's the less-underrated-every-year Psycho 2... which is actually very watchable and really well done.

I'll update this post if I can actually think of any new titles to contribute. Sounds like a fun/exhausting October.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Yeah, I'm loosely adhering to the DTV rule.  I mostly just wanted to have an excuse to weed out dreadful shlock fests.  But in my mind now, those that are DTV are just on the chopping block more than ones that weren't, when it comes time to whittling it all down to a solid 31.  It may sound like an exhausting October, but it's actually really fun because I usually end up watching them with friends.  A lot of my cinephile friends love the idea and helped compile the list and I imagine we'll be doing a few of these as double or triple features, so it's not like I'll be watching one for sure every day.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reel

Quote from: Reelist on February 10, 2011, 07:55:03 AM
so I'm watching this movie Kingdom of the Spiders this morning on IFC, and everytime this Piano cue comes up when something scary happens I can't help but recognize it from being used in another movie.

It's the same sound you near the beginning of this trailer at 00:06 and 00:13

Someone else has got to know where this is from! Or else it's going to bother me all day, thanks...

I figured out the sound I was thinking of, its from Dumb and Dumber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK1X3XxfT90&feature=related

when he looks at his watch. this is totally irrelevant, has nothing to do with nothing.

tpfkabi

Several years ago a friend told me a story about a kid getting picked on. For whatever reason I always thought "now that is a reason someone would want to take revenge." Most serial killer movies have some explanation of an event from youth to make you understand why they might be that way.

So I'm asking, what movies are there where someone is picked on in school and then takes revenge on those people later in life?

I'm thinking there are more than I even realize, so if that is the case think of the best made versions of this storyline.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Sleepless

I'm actually working on a horror movie script right now, specifically a "psychological ghost story." Very quiet, very visual, slowly peeling back the layers and escalating the horror element of it all. I'm not sure what other movies have a similar tone to what I'm attempting (although I'm sure there must be several at least).

From memory, The Orphanage had a nice tone and pace which mixed the paranormal with the psychological (and forgotten memories, which is another element of my script). Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should check out?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Reelist on September 21, 2011, 06:44:05 AM
Quote from: tpfkabi on September 21, 2011, 01:17:18 AM
So I'm asking, what movies are there where someone is picked on in school and then takes revenge on those people later in life?

Let the Right One In
Carrie
Sometime's They Come Back
Elephant
Dazed and Confused
Mean Creak
Bad Santa
The Karate Kid
Back to the Future
Teen Wolf

Bully is a good one, but it doesn't deal with school
In Welcome to the Dollhouse, she doesn't quite take revenge.

Sleepers
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: Sleepless on September 21, 2011, 06:09:18 AM
I'm actually working on a horror movie script right now, specifically a "psychological ghost story." Very quiet, very visual, slowly peeling back the layers and escalating the horror element of it all. I'm not sure what other movies have a similar tone to what I'm attempting (although I'm sure there must be several at least).

Don't Look Now
The Innocents

Let the Right One In
Carrie
Elephant
Dazed and Confused
Mean Creak
Bad Santa
The Karate Kid
Back to the Future
Teen Wolf
With the exception of Sometimes They Come Back, none of those fit the  "later in life" criteria.  They're all movies where people get revenge at the same point in life.

Reel

I know! I messed up. Sry Big ideas! ( your new name is stupid )

polkablues

Quote from: Sleepless on September 21, 2011, 06:09:18 AM

From memory, The Orphanage had a nice tone and pace which mixed the paranormal with the psychological (and forgotten memories, which is another element of my script). Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should check out?

The Devil's Backbone
The Eye (original, not Alba)
There's another one I watched on Netflix a little while ago that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head; it starred Andy Serkis and Jamie Bell and was about World War I soldiers. Not a great movie, but it had a really nice build of tension that might be the sort of thing you're looking for.

EDIT: Looked it up, it was called Deathwatch.
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

Quote from: RegularKarate on September 21, 2011, 11:41:41 AM
Let the Right One In
Carrie
Elephant
Dazed and Confused
Mean Creak
Bad Santa
The Karate Kid
Back to the Future
Teen Wolf
With the exception of Sometimes They Come Back, none of those fit the  "later in life" criteria.  They're all movies where people get revenge at the same point in life.

Yeah, thanks for the response, but that's what I was thinking. I'm also thinking pure horror/slasher type films.
Haven't seen Sometimes They Come Back, but reading about it there did seem to be a later payback.
Kill Bill/The Bride Wore Black have the format of person taking revenge one person at a time because of an earlier traumatizing event, yet both events happen in adulthood and I can't remember how many years pass between the event/revenge.

///unrelated to my quest horror comment///

When's the last time you saw or even heard of The Good Son?
I haven't seen that come on TV in forever. I kinda want to see it again.

Reel

I can't figure out who's more important to respond to, you or Sleepless? Who's writing the script here? Are you writing a script or just looking to reenact  some childhood trauma? j/k..

No one's brought up the Good Son in awhile and I don't think I've seen it since I was about 13. Macauly Culkin in that movie is definitely qualified for the " Shit in movies that scared you as a kid " category. His make-shift rifle and his treefort?!? The kids smoking when he's like ten years old ( seeing kids smoking always freaked me out as a kid ) and on top of it all, he's just a rat-bastard. I don't think I've liked him as much in anything since.

tpfkabi

There is no connection.
Just remembered Terror Train which I saw on TV for the first time just a few months ago. It has the revenge storyline 3 years after a traumatic event set in college.

I guess this is 'research.' I have scenes/films in my head but need a thread to make a coherent story. I'm really not wanting to have the Laurie Strode/Sidney Prescott(sp?) to tie the deaths together or guide the story or the revenger guide the story like Kill Bill/Bride. More the killer who has little screen time like the original Halloween. So I'm looking for movies that fit these criteria to see how they fit it all together.

Pubrick

Fuck horror.

Man I am not looking forward to the month coming up where you force yourselves to watch way too many films from this one section of the video shop. Look if they were that good you would have watched the movies at some other point in the year OK, let alone you're whole life.

And if you really give a fuck about this bullshit gimmick month coming up you really shouldn't wait for an arbitrary date to do such a supposedly essential thing. OK? It's like when people watch movies by a certain director or actor after they die, or read a book by a just dead author.

It's phoney.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick on September 22, 2011, 12:03:53 PM
Fuck horror.

Man I am not looking forward to the month coming up where you force yourselves to watch way too many films from this one section of the video shop. Look if they were that good you would have watched the movies at some other point in the year OK, let alone you're whole life.

And if you really give a fuck about this bullshit gimmick month coming up you really shouldn't wait for an arbitrary date to do such a supposedly essential thing. OK? It's like when people watch movies by a certain director or actor after they die, or read a book by a just dead author.

It's phoney.

What a strange way to attack people having fun.
Fair enough... you don't like horror and hope that people who enjoy something are miserable because you don't enjoy that same thing.

How is it "phoney" though?  Why watch any movie at any time?  Sometimes the mood strikes to watch something specific.

Anyway.  I'll stick to doing things I like.  Dr. Grumples can keep grumpin.

Reel

oh man, P's getting so mad! Horror is my favorite genre, but I don't go out of my way to make a point of it every October by watching everything I can get my hands on. I just really enjoy it because there are always a lot of Horror movies on Tv, i.e. something to watch on Tv that doesn't suck balls.

Stefen put it best:

Quote from: S.R. on October 06, 2010, 01:17:13 PM
October is just a fun month in the USA and Halloween kind of epitomizes it. The season is changing and it's getting colder and you're spending more time inside getting ready for winter and horror movies are always fun, but there's just something more fun about them at this time of the year.

To me it's always signaled the time when mindless summer entertainment is over and serious movie watching is set to begin again and horror movies are a nice bridge for that because it's a genre that has mindless drivel and good films.

Maybe you just don't get it because Australia doesn't have seasons?